Norton 360 v2

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

NickE

Norton 360 v2
Hi,

The machine I just purchased came with AVG (free). I've read that the Vista
firewall is fairly strong.

Is there any benefit in me installing Norton 360 v2 or is the protection I
get from Vista Firewall and AVG just as strong?

Thanks
Nick
Mick Murphy

RE: Norton 360 v2
A disadvantage if you install Norton! It is a resources hungry program that
tries to be everything to everybody, and fails!

Below is what i use for security:

Vista’s Firewall is very good!

Above is a link to Avast Free 4 Home Anti-Virus
It is low resource using, free and Vista 32bit and 64bit compatible.
Only have one (1) anti-virus installed; more than 1 can cause conflicts.

For Spyware removal, use the above link to “Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2”
Download it, install it, update it, immunize your system and scan your
System with it.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

For a non-scanning, but running in the background, Program to STOP Spyware
being downloaded to your Computer, use SpywareBlaster 4, available at the
above link.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"NickE" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The machine I just purchased came with AVG (free). I've read that the Vista
> firewall is fairly strong.
>
> Is there any benefit in me installing Norton 360 v2 or is the protection I
> get from Vista Firewall and AVG just as strong?
>
> Thanks
> Nick

NickE

RE: Norton 360 v2
Thanks for the reply. You've confirmed what my gut was telling me.

I think the firewall capabilities of the Router & Vista Firewall will be
sufficient.

Cheers for the links for the other software.

Nidk

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> A disadvantage if you install Norton! It is a resources hungry program that
> tries to be everything to everybody, and fails!
>
> Below is what i use for security:
>
> Vista’s Firewall is very good!

> Above is a link to Avast Free 4 Home Anti-Virus
> It is low resource using, free and Vista 32bit and 64bit compatible.
> Only have one (1) anti-virus installed; more than 1 can cause conflicts.
>
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>
> For Spyware removal, use the above link to “Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2”
> Download it, install it, update it, immunize your system and scan your
> System with it.
>
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/
>
> For a non-scanning, but running in the background, Program to STOP Spyware
> being downloaded to your Computer, use SpywareBlaster 4, available at the
> above link.
>

> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "NickE" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The machine I just purchased came with AVG (free). I've read that the Vista
> > firewall is fairly strong.
> >
> > Is there any benefit in me installing Norton 360 v2 or is the protection I
> > get from Vista Firewall and AVG just as strong?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Nick

Mick Murphy

RE: Norton 360 v2
No probs. Thanks for the reply!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"NickE" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. You've confirmed what my gut was telling me.
>
> I think the firewall capabilities of the Router & Vista Firewall will be
> sufficient.
>
> Cheers for the links for the other software.
>
> Nidk
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > A disadvantage if you install Norton! It is a resources hungry program that
> > tries to be everything to everybody, and fails!
> >
> > Below is what i use for security:
> >
> > Vista’s Firewall is very good!

> > Above is a link to Avast Free 4 Home Anti-Virus
> > It is low resource using, free and Vista 32bit and 64bit compatible.
> > Only have one (1) anti-virus installed; more than 1 can cause conflicts.
> >
> > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
> >
> > For Spyware removal, use the above link to “Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2”
> > Download it, install it, update it, immunize your system and scan your
> > System with it.
> >
> > http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/
> >
> > For a non-scanning, but running in the background, Program to STOP Spyware
> > being downloaded to your Computer, use SpywareBlaster 4, available at the
> > above link.
> >

> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >

> > "NickE" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The machine I just purchased came with AVG (free). I've read that the Vista
> > > firewall is fairly strong.
> > >
> > > Is there any benefit in me installing Norton 360 v2 or is the protection I
> > > get from Vista Firewall and AVG just as strong?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Nick

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Norton 360 v2
On Mon, 19 May 2008 01:50:02 -0700, NickE
<NickE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The machine I just purchased came with AVG (free). I've read that the Vista
> firewall is fairly strong.
>
> Is there any benefit in me installing Norton 360 v2 or is the protection I
> get from Vista Firewall and AVG just as strong?

My view? There is an extreme *disadvantage* to installing Norton. It's
the worst security software on the market. It's a resource hog and
causes all sorts of problems. I strongly recommend against it.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: Norton 360 v2
NickE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The machine I just purchased came with AVG (free). I've read that the Vista
> firewall is fairly strong.
>
> Is there any benefit in me installing Norton 360 v2 or is the protection I
> get from Vista Firewall and AVG just as strong?
>
> Thanks
> Nick

I suspect that you will get a lot of responses relating to
Norton/Symantec software. The general consensus will be to avoid the
software. It will not, in my and many opinions, add much in the way of
security and will cost you in performance.

AVG is well thought of. I'm not a fan, but there are many who use it and
are very satisfied. Be sure, though to keep the signatures and engine up
to date and scan on a regular basis.

The Vista firewall is better than the XP firewall and is *WAY* better
than no firewall at all. I don't particularly like it, though. There are
a lot of much better (and user friendly) firewalls out there. A lot are
free...

You are missing a spyware/malware software. Best to have one that
prevents infection... Again, there are a lot of them out there. You
should, at the least, scan on a very frequent basis.

I'm more a fan of security suites, especially for the average/novice
user. Like any suite, it can add features you don't need or have some
impact on performance. But to expect the average user to find, install
and *use* the best individual tools is a bit of a stretch, IMNSHO....

I use (and really like) ESET Smart Security suite. It includes a Spam
mail filter. If you don't want a suite, the NODE32 AV part of it gets
very good ratings.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold