The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific error 13 (0xD). (cannot start firewall)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Amster

The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific error 13 (0xD). (cannot start firewall)
What does this mean guys

I can't start the windows firewall service, and this is what I see in event
viewer:

"The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific error 13
(0xD)."

WF.MSC returns: "The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed
to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are
managing. Error code: 0x6D9.

This bloody god damn error codes are so useless! I mean why give me an error
code, why not just translate the meaning !

I believe all other relevant services are up and running - someone, please,
help!

Engel

RE: The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific erro
Hello Amster,

Other folks may have additional ideas for you; hope this helps a bit, take
a look at this

Security Center

<http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/Services/Security_Center.htm>
Look for Dependencies: What service Security Center needs to function
properly:

Black Viper's Windows Vista SP1 Service Configurations

<http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm>
see if that helps:

Other than that, I'm about out of ideas, so good luck with it.

Let us know maybe someone else can conjure up something else to try.

Good luck
- -- ---

"Amster" wrote:

> What does this mean guys
>
> I can't start the windows firewall service, and this is what I see in event
> viewer:
>
> "The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific error 13
> (0xD)."
>

> WF.MSC returns: "The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed
> to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are
> managing. Error code: 0x6D9.
>
> This bloody god damn error codes are so useless! I mean why give me an error
> code, why not just translate the meaning !
>
> I believe all other relevant services are up and running - someone, please,
> help!

ashank

Re: The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific error 13 (0xD). (cannot start firewall)

Here is a possible solution. I got the same error. To fix it, I had to
delete the existing firewall rules in the registry. It worked in my
case, but since it involves registry changes, you have to be careful. It
-may- not work in your case. Also some rules which were manually added
will need to be re-created.

Here are the steps:-

1. This solution is for Windows Firewall error in Vista home edition,
as appearing in Event Log: "The Windows Firewall service terminated with
service-specific error 13 (0xD)."

2. Check in Security Event Log (Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Security).
Is there is any error with Event Id 5027 or 5028? The error message is:
"The Windows Firewall Service was unable to retrieve the security policy
from the local storage. The service will continue enforcing the current
policy. Error Code: 2147942413"

If there is no such error in Security log, *do not* proceed further on
this solution.

3. Open Registry Editor (Start->Run->regedit). Navigate to
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Sevices\SharedAccess \Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules.

You will see a bunch of values in the right pane there. Windows
Firewall is not able to load these rules, possibly because of some
corruption.

4. Take a backup of these registry entries. Right Click on
FirewallRules node in the left pane. Click on export. Save the file.
Backup may be required to restore values, in case something goes wrong
later.

5. Delete the rules in the left pane: Select 2nd row from top. Press
Ctrl Shift End. Press Delete.

6. Start Services MMC (Start->Run->Services.msc). Select "Windows
Firewall" ->Right Click->Start. Firewall service should start now.

7. To restore the default set of rules, click on Start->Type Windows
Firewall in the search box. Click on "Windows Firewall"

8. Click on "Allow a program through Windows Firewall". Click on
Advanced Tab->Restore Defaults.

Some programs will need to be manually allowed in the Firewall
settings.

--
ashank
ashank's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/ashank.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

HappyAndyK

Re: The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific error 13 (0xD). (cannot start firewall)

Pls see if something at 'Windows Vista Firewall Fails To Start At
Startup' (http://www.winvistaclub.com/t61.html) helps you.

--
HappyAndyK

www.WinVistaClub.com