Rundll32 error in IE

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

richene416

Rundll32 error in IE
Everytime I try to open a new webpage I get a dialog box asking me if I want
to allow or not allow rundll32 to run. Is this normal (I never had this
problem a few weeks ago and have not downloaded anything)? If not normal, how
do I fix it?
Smithsonian

Re: Rundll32 error in IE
I have never heard of that. It sounds like a virus to me. rundll32 is used
to run .dll files I would say no and check your computer for viruses.
"richene416" <richene416@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I try to open a new webpage I get a dialog box asking me if I
> want
> to allow or not allow rundll32 to run. Is this normal (I never had this
> problem a few weeks ago and have not downloaded anything)? If not normal,
> how
> do I fix it?

richene416

Re: Rundll32 error in IE
Thanks for your reply.
I have run Northan Antivirus (newest version) and it does not find anything.
I also downloaded RegCure and once in awhile it will find a tracking cookie
and I will have it fix it. Spybot always finds something, but I am able to
fix those problems.

Any other suggestions?

"Smithsonian" wrote:

> I have never heard of that. It sounds like a virus to me. rundll32 is used
> to run .dll files I would say no and check your computer for viruses.
> "richene416" <richene416@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Everytime I try to open a new webpage I get a dialog box asking me if I
> > want
> > to allow or not allow rundll32 to run. Is this normal (I never had this
> > problem a few weeks ago and have not downloaded anything)? If not normal,
> > how
> > do I fix it?

SG

Re: Rundll32 error in IE
Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools, and then click
Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Do you still get the message?

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
Just type in Microsoft

"richene416" <richene416@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I try to open a new webpage I get a dialog box asking me if I
> want
> to allow or not allow rundll32 to run. Is this normal (I never had this
> problem a few weeks ago and have not downloaded anything)? If not normal,
> how
> do I fix it?

richene416

Re: Rundll32 error in IE
I did as you said and I still get the message. I'm sure it's a virus or
malware, but not sure how to get rid of it since Spybot & Norton either one
pick it up.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

"SG" wrote:

> Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools, and then click
> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Do you still get the message?
>
> --
> All the best,
> SG
>
> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
> Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
> http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
> Just type in Microsoft
>
> "richene416" <richene416@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Everytime I try to open a new webpage I get a dialog box asking me if I
> > want
> > to allow or not allow rundll32 to run. Is this normal (I never had this
> > problem a few weeks ago and have not downloaded anything)? If not normal,
> > how
> > do I fix it?

SG

Re: Rundll32 error in IE
1.. Open Internet Explorer 7.

2.. From the Internet Explorer 7 command bar, choose Tools and then
Internet Options.

3.. In the Internet Options window, click on the Security tab.

4.. Below the Security level for this zone area, and directly above the
OK, Cancel, and Apply buttons, click the Reset all zones to default level
button.

5.. Click OK on the Internet Options window.

6.. Close and then reopen Internet Explorer 7.

7.. Try again to visit the web sites that were causing your problems to
see if resetting the Internet Explorer 7 security settings on your computer
helped.

--

>I did as you said and I still get the message. I'm sure it's a virus or
> malware, but not sure how to get rid of it since Spybot & Norton either
> one
> pick it up.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> "SG" wrote:
>
>> Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools, and then click
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Do you still get the message?
>>
>> --
>> All the best,
>> SG
>>
>> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
>> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
>> Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
>> http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
>> Just type in Microsoft
>>
>> "richene416" <richene416@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Everytime I try to open a new webpage I get a dialog box asking me if I
>> > want
>> > to allow or not allow rundll32 to run. Is this normal (I never had this
>> > problem a few weeks ago and have not downloaded anything)? If not
>> > normal,
>> > how
>> > do I fix it?

richene416

Re: Rundll32 error in IE
Still getting the pop-up window. Seems like this started when I subscribed &
downloaded LimeWire. I tried to download a couple of things, and I think
that's when all this started.

Should I uninstall Limewire and anything that I have downloaded from that
site?

Thanks again for your help - sorry I'm being such a pest!

"SG" wrote:

> 1.. Open Internet Explorer 7.
>
> 2.. From the Internet Explorer 7 command bar, choose Tools and then
> Internet Options.
>
> 3.. In the Internet Options window, click on the Security tab.
>
> 4.. Below the Security level for this zone area, and directly above the
> OK, Cancel, and Apply buttons, click the Reset all zones to default level
> button.
>
> 5.. Click OK on the Internet Options window.
>
> 6.. Close and then reopen Internet Explorer 7.
>
> 7.. Try again to visit the web sites that were causing your problems to
> see if resetting the Internet Explorer 7 security settings on your computer
> helped.
>

> --
> All the best,
> SG
>
> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
> Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
> http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
> Just type in Microsoft
>
> "richene416" <richene416@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did as you said and I still get the message. I'm sure it's a virus or
> > malware, but not sure how to get rid of it since Spybot & Norton either
> > one
> > pick it up.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > "SG" wrote:
> >
> >> Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools, and then click
> >> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Do you still get the message?
> >>
> >> --
> >> All the best,
> >> SG
> >>
> >> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> >> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
> >> Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
> >> http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
> >> Just type in Microsoft

SG

Re: Rundll32 error in IE
First of all you are not being a pest and I hope we can find and fix your
problem.
I'm really not sure what LimeWire would have to do with your problem and the
two options I gave you usually fixes it. If it were I and given what you
have already tried I think I'd try a System Restore just before you
installed LimeWire. It's appears something has intergraded into your IE
settings and you may not be able to find it.

Before you try System Restore you can try two more Spyware removal programs
and see it one will pick it up.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
Ad-Aware 2007 Free

http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
SUPERAntiSpyware Free

Both of these are excellent programs and I'd recommend keeping them both
along with SpyBot S&D.

--

news6C90090-492F-4121-AC3B-E9E8BF5B47E6@microsoft.com...
> Still getting the pop-up window. Seems like this started when I subscribed
> &
> downloaded LimeWire. I tried to download a couple of things, and I think
> that's when all this started.
>
> Should I uninstall Limewire and anything that I have downloaded from that
> site?
>
> Thanks again for your help - sorry I'm being such a pest!
>
> "SG" wrote:
>
>> 1.. Open Internet Explorer 7.
>>
>> 2.. From the Internet Explorer 7 command bar, choose Tools and then
>> Internet Options.
>>
>> 3.. In the Internet Options window, click on the Security tab.
>>
>> 4.. Below the Security level for this zone area, and directly above the
>> OK, Cancel, and Apply buttons, click the Reset all zones to default level
>> button.
>>
>> 5.. Click OK on the Internet Options window.
>>
>> 6.. Close and then reopen Internet Explorer 7.
>>
>> 7.. Try again to visit the web sites that were causing your problems to
>> see if resetting the Internet Explorer 7 security settings on your
>> computer
>> helped.
>>

>> --
>> All the best,
>> SG
>>
>> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
>> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
>> Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
>> http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
>> Just type in Microsoft
>>
>> "richene416" <richene416@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I did as you said and I still get the message. I'm sure it's a virus or
>> > malware, but not sure how to get rid of it since Spybot & Norton either
>> > one
>> > pick it up.
>> >
>> > Any other suggestions?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help!

richene416

Re: Rundll32 error in IE
Thank you - I'll give them both a shot and see what happens. I'll keep you
posted.

Thanks again for all your help and patience!

"SG" wrote:

> First of all you are not being a pest and I hope we can find and fix your
> problem.
> I'm really not sure what LimeWire would have to do with your problem and the
> two options I gave you usually fixes it. If it were I and given what you
> have already tried I think I'd try a System Restore just before you
> installed LimeWire. It's appears something has intergraded into your IE
> settings and you may not be able to find it.
>
> Before you try System Restore you can try two more Spyware removal programs
> and see it one will pick it up.
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
> Ad-Aware 2007 Free
>
> http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
> SUPERAntiSpyware Free
>
> Both of these are excellent programs and I'd recommend keeping them both
> along with SpyBot S&D.
>
> --
> All the best,
> SG
>
> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
> Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
> http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
> Just type in Microsoft
>
> "richene416" <richene416@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6C90090-492F-4121-AC3B-E9E8BF5B47E6@microsoft.com...
> > Still getting the pop-up window. Seems like this started when I subscribed
> > &
> > downloaded LimeWire. I tried to download a couple of things, and I think
> > that's when all this started.
> >
> > Should I uninstall Limewire and anything that I have downloaded from that
> > site?
> >
> > Thanks again for your help - sorry I'm being such a pest!
> >
> > "SG" wrote:
> >
> >> 1.. Open Internet Explorer 7.
> >>
> >> 2.. From the Internet Explorer 7 command bar, choose Tools and then
> >> Internet Options.
> >>
> >> 3.. In the Internet Options window, click on the Security tab.
> >>
> >> 4.. Below the Security level for this zone area, and directly above the
> >> OK, Cancel, and Apply buttons, click the Reset all zones to default level
> >> button.
> >>
> >> 5.. Click OK on the Internet Options window.
> >>
> >> 6.. Close and then reopen Internet Explorer 7.
> >>
> >> 7.. Try again to visit the web sites that were causing your problems to
> >> see if resetting the Internet Explorer 7 security settings on your
> >> computer
> >> helped.
> >>

> >> --
> >> All the best,
> >> SG
> >>
> >> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> >> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
> >> Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
> >> http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
> >> Just type in Microsoft

richene416

Re: Rundll32 error in IE
IT WORKED!!! Ad-Ware caught a worm, and Super Anti-Spyware caught 150 files,
including a lot of adware, malware and one Trojan!

Thank you so much for your help!!!