how restricted users can change their IP

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Khalid Naeem

how restricted users can change their IP
we are running a workgroup based network and their are two different
internets are being used in the network currently all users have
administrative rights so that they can easily change the IP class to shift
from one internet to the other

Now i want to restrict users but i still want that users change their IP by
themselves

Kindly help me
Ciro

Re: how restricted users can change their IP
Hey Kalid,

In what way should the users be restricted? Which rights do you want to
deny? (Change background, etc...)

Kind Regards,

Ciro.

"Khalid Naeem" <KhalidNaeem@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> we are running a workgroup based network and their are two different
> internets are being used in the network currently all users have
> administrative rights so that they can easily change the IP class to shift
> from one internet to the other
>
> Now i want to restrict users but i still want that users change their IP
> by
> themselves
>

> Kindly help me

Michael D. Ober

"Ciro" <ciro@morra.us> wrote in message
> Hey Kalid,
>
> In what way should the users be restricted? Which rights do you want to
> deny? (Change background, etc...)
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Ciro.
>
> "Khalid Naeem" <KhalidNaeem@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> we are running a workgroup based network and their are two different
>> internets are being used in the network currently all users have
>> administrative rights so that they can easily change the IP class to
>> shift
>> from one internet to the other
>>
>> Now i want to restrict users but i still want that users change their IP
>> by
>> themselves
>>

>> Kindly help me

Since windows allows you to put multiple IPs on an interface, how about
simply adding both networks to the interface?

Mike Ober.

Khalid Naeem

Re: how restricted users can change their IP
hi ciro ristricted user mean that when we create a user in windows xp it
offers us two types of user accounts one is administrator and the other one
is user account i dont want to apply any policy or anyother thing i just want
that a restricted user may change their IP by themselves

"Michael D. Ober" wrote:

> "Ciro" <ciro@morra.us> wrote in message
> > Hey Kalid,
> >
> > In what way should the users be restricted? Which rights do you want to
> > deny? (Change background, etc...)
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Ciro.
> >
> > "Khalid Naeem" <KhalidNaeem@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> >> we are running a workgroup based network and their are two different
> >> internets are being used in the network currently all users have
> >> administrative rights so that they can easily change the IP class to
> >> shift
> >> from one internet to the other
> >>
> >> Now i want to restrict users but i still want that users change their IP
> >> by
> >> themselves
> >>

> >> Kindly help me

> Since windows allows you to put multiple IPs on an interface, how about
> simply adding both networks to the interface?
>
> Mike Ober.

Michael D. Ober

"Khalid Naeem" <KhalidNaeem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi ciro ristricted user mean that when we create a user in windows xp it
> offers us two types of user accounts one is administrator and the other
> one
> is user account i dont want to apply any policy or anyother thing i just
> want
> that a restricted user may change their IP by themselves

XP only allow administrators to change the IP address. Your two options are
a router that know about both networks or putting both networks on every
machine.

> "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
>
>> "Ciro" <ciro@morra.us> wrote in message
>> > Hey Kalid,
>> >
>> > In what way should the users be restricted? Which rights do you want to
>> > deny? (Change background, etc...)
>> >
>> > Kind Regards,
>> >
>> > Ciro.
>> >
>> > "Khalid Naeem" <KhalidNaeem@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in
>> > bericht

>> Since windows allows you to put multiple IPs on an interface, how about
>> simply adding both networks to the interface?
>>
>> Mike Ober.

Ciro

Re: how restricted users can change their IP
Okay Khalid,

So the question is how can "normal users" change their IP adres or how can
they connect to another network...

Like with "power users" changing the network settings is the big
restriction.

This could be difficult... :|

"Khalid Naeem" <KhalidNaeem@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> hi ciro ristricted user mean that when we create a user in windows xp it
> offers us two types of user accounts one is administrator and the other
> one
> is user account i dont want to apply any policy or anyother thing i just
> want
> that a restricted user may change their IP by themselves
>
> "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
>
>> "Ciro" <ciro@morra.us> wrote in message
>> > Hey Kalid,
>> >
>> > In what way should the users be restricted? Which rights do you want to
>> > deny? (Change background, etc...)
>> >
>> > Kind Regards,
>> >
>> > Ciro.
>> >
>> > "Khalid Naeem" <KhalidNaeem@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in
>> > bericht

>> Since windows allows you to put multiple IPs on an interface, how about
>> simply adding both networks to the interface?
>>
>> Mike Ober.

Maxxine

RE: how restricted users can change their IP
Hi Khalid,

May be you could use the Network Configuration Operators Group available in
"Local Users and Groups" under Computer Management. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297938 for more description. At the outset,
it does not seems risky to put users in this group.

Considering that you would like to do it on a network, you might want to
consider using "Restricted Groups" feature of group policy to assign users to
the local group at logon. You might find this site
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...ed-Groups.html helpful

Cheers
Maxxine

"Khalid Naeem" wrote:

> we are running a workgroup based network and their are two different
> internets are being used in the network currently all users have
> administrative rights so that they can easily change the IP class to shift
> from one internet to the other
>
> Now i want to restrict users but i still want that users change their IP by
> themselves
>

> Kindly help me

Maxxine

RE: how restricted users can change their IP
Hi Khalid,

Sorry, I didn't check you are on workgroup. Group Policy works only on AD
based networks.

For your case you might try some creativity with NET LOCALGROUP command
scripted in a batch file. The trick is how to execute this for all users
without having to go to every single machine.

Let me know whether my posts were useful.

Regards - Maxxine