Suspension of Firewall

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Zygy

Suspension of Firewall
It has been recommended that I suspend the Firewall during the download of a
very sensitive software.

I found the Firewall, but how do I suspend it?

What risks are there if the suspension lasts say for 1hr?

Straight Talk

Re: Suspension of Firewall
On Fri, 2 May 2008 08:55:16 +0100, "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote:

>It has been recommended that I suspend the Firewall during the download of a
>very sensitive software.

Why?

>I found the Firewall, but how do I suspend it?

Are you talking about the Vista one? - I see no reason to suspend that
for any download purposes.

>What risks are there if the suspension lasts say for 1hr?

Depends on your environment. If your machine is directly connected to
the net (has a public IP) I wouldn't risk it.
Zygy

Re: Suspension of Firewall
Thank you for posting, but you do not give me the answer I asked for. Since
I posted my question on a Vista Newsgroup, I must have been referring to a
Vista Firewall.

If you can give me the answer maybe you could also advise me how to restore
the Firewall to a full operating procedure after the suspension.

For your information the owners of the download advise the suspension of the
Antivirus and Firewall.

On Fri, 2 May 2008 12:33:39 +0100, "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for posting, but you do not give me the answer I asked for.

Maybe it wasn't my intention to give you the answer you wanted.
Thought about that?

>Since I posted my question on a Vista Newsgroup, I must have been referring to a
>Vista Firewall.

Well, not necessarily, smart ass. Many mislead people run all kinds of
firewalls on Vista. Did you give it a thought that my question might
have impact on whether you actually need to suspend that or not?

>If you can give me the answer maybe you could also advise me how to restore
>the Firewall to a full operating procedure after the suspension.

I'm not going to do that until you give me a solid reason for
suspending your vista firewall in the first place.

>For your information the owners of the download advise the suspension of the
>Antivirus and Firewall.

That's common - because lot's of so called "security" stuff is too
crappy to deal with even legitimate stuff in a meaningful way - e.g.
by implementing all kinds of foolish pseudo-security functions.

Ask them if they have a concern with the Vista firewall specifically,
because if so you should maybe reconsider dealing with these "owners
of the download".

>"Straight Talk" <b__nice@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:94ul14lcppba82rkjqnb1kn3mi9nv6ogaj@4ax.com.. .
>> On Fri, 2 May 2008 08:55:16 +0100, "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>It has been recommended that I suspend the Firewall during the download of
>>>very sensitive software.

>> Why?
>>
>>>I found the Firewall, but how do I suspend it?

>> Are you talking about the Vista one? - I see no reason to suspend that
>> for any download purposes.
>>
>>>What risks are there if the suspension lasts say for 1hr?

>> Depends on your environment. If your machine is directly connected to
>> the net (has a public IP) I wouldn't risk it.

Zygy

Re: Suspension of Firewall
You do not give the answer because you do not know it! Time waster!

On Fri, 2 May 2008 15:00:23 +0100, "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote:

>You do not give the answer because you do not know it! Time waster!

You respond like that because you're clueless.

*thread plonk*
t-4-2

Re: Suspension of Firewall

Zygy;700385 Wrote:
> It has been recommended that I suspend the Firewall during the download
> of a
> very sensitive software.
>
> I found the Firewall, but how do I suspend it?
>
> What risks are there if the suspension lasts say for 1hr?

Hello Zygy,
1. Terminology correction : It's called Windows Firewall, not vista
firewall.
" -- suspend the firewall--" is not exactly the right way to say
it. Windows Firewall can be either enabled (turned on), or disabled
(turned off).
2. " What risks are there if suspension lasts say for 1 hr?" --- It's
like bank manager opens the bank, opens the vault, unlock all doors,
sends everyone home, leaves the bank totally unattended. What risks do
you think ?
3. Have you tried downloading WITHOUT the owners' " recommendations " ?
Please try that first, if it fails and you REALLY want to risk it, let
me know. It's Not recommended.

--
t-4-2
FromTheRafters

Re: Suspension of Firewall
Start orb, help and support, type the word
firewall in the search box, then click on enter,
then click on turn Windows firewall on or off,
then read the help file.

If you get lost, come back for a walk through.

By the way, there is no good reason I can think
of for needing to do this merely to download a file.

"Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It has been recommended that I suspend the Firewall during the download of
> a very sensitive software.
>
> I found the Firewall, but how do I suspend it?
>
> What risks are there if the suspension lasts say for 1hr?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Suspension of Firewall
On Fri, 2 May 2008 08:55:16 +0100, "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote:

> It has been recommended that I suspend the Firewall during the download of a
> very sensitive software.

Who recommended it and why? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're
doing, that makes no sense to me.

Exactly what do you mean by "very sensitive software"?

> I found the Firewall, but how do I suspend it?
>
> What risks are there if the suspension lasts say for 1hr?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bruce Chambers

Re: Suspension of Firewall
Zygy wrote:
> It has been recommended that I suspend the Firewall during the download
> of a very sensitive software.

Never, ever take any computer or network related advice from that
source again.

> I found the Firewall, but how do I suspend it?

Until you tell us what specific firewall you're using, no one can
answer, even if they were so inclined.

> What risks are there if the suspension lasts say for 1hr?

Almost immediately infestation of several nasty types of malware. it'd
takes minutes, at most, before you start seeing pop-ups, etc.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.