Users are unable to change domain password

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Kevin M

Users are unable to change domain password
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction. Our network is 2003 AD with
XP clients and about 120 vista enterprise machines. When you try to change
your domain password on a vista box is tells you the username or password are
incorrect, doing the same on XP machine is fine.

We have another seperate 2003 AD network using the same Vista image, here we
have no problem.

Everyone group would appear to have change password permissions, like I say
all on XP is fine but not Vista on this AD. We have update to SP1 on Vista,
no change and Group Policy looks fine.

Thanks

Kevin
Glen

Re: Users are unable to change domain password
For my money, downgrade vista to xp and avoid vista like it is the black
plague. No vista machine is going on my network if I can help it.

"Kevin M" <KevinM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction. Our network is 2003 AD
> with
> XP clients and about 120 vista enterprise machines. When you try to change
> your domain password on a vista box is tells you the username or password
> are
> incorrect, doing the same on XP machine is fine.
>
> We have another seperate 2003 AD network using the same Vista image, here
> we
> have no problem.
>
> Everyone group would appear to have change password permissions, like I
> say
> all on XP is fine but not Vista on this AD. We have update to SP1 on
> Vista,
> no change and Group Policy looks fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin

Carsten Kinder [MSFT]

Re: Users are unable to change domain password
Kevin,

what is the exact error message that you are receiving on the Vista
computers?

--
Carsten Kinder
Microsoft Services

Kevin M

Re: Users are unable to change domain password
Carsten, we get "The username or password is incorrect". We can change the
password using XP machines or the change password feature on Outlook Web
Access, basically anywhere apart from the Vista Machines.

Can't see any errors, DNS and AD appear fine with any test and GPUpdate can
be run without error.

Kevin

"Carsten Kinder [MSFT]" wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> what is the exact error message that you are receiving on the Vista
> computers?
>
> --
> Carsten Kinder
> Microsoft Services

Kevin M

Re: Users are unable to change domain password
Cartsen, did we get any futher with the previous post I added? Always shows
"Incorrect username or password", it's like some sort of translation problem.

I know a German vista problem was fixed but its not exactly the same fault.

"Carsten Kinder [MSFT]" wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> what is the exact error message that you are receiving on the Vista
> computers?
>
> --
> Carsten Kinder
> Microsoft Services

Jay

Re: Users are unable to change domain password
Hi Kevin,

I just had this same problem today on Vista 32 bit. Had to fire up a XP VPC
to reset my password. Did you get any answers on this yet?

Jay

"Kevin M" wrote:

> Cartsen, did we get any futher with the previous post I added? Always shows
> "Incorrect username or password", it's like some sort of translation problem.
>
> I know a German vista problem was fixed but its not exactly the same fault.
>
> "Carsten Kinder [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Kevin,
> >
> > what is the exact error message that you are receiving on the Vista
> > computers?
> >
> > --
> > Carsten Kinder
> > Microsoft Services

Kevin M

Re: Users are unable to change domain password
Jay, I have just resolved this issue but still don't know what caused the
fault.

I have just added a 2008 DC in to my domain today, ran /forestprep
/domainprep then just the usual DC promo. Went to a workstation that was
already logged on and changed the password without issue.

I'm wondering if it was something the new AD schema changes fixed or does
the New DC have a permission set correctly the others do not?

Maybe an AD corruption issue of some sort resolve by actions above.

"Jay" wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> I just had this same problem today on Vista 32 bit. Had to fire up a XP VPC
> to reset my password. Did you get any answers on this yet?
>
> Jay
>
> "Kevin M" wrote:
>
> > Cartsen, did we get any futher with the previous post I added? Always shows
> > "Incorrect username or password", it's like some sort of translation problem.
> >
> > I know a German vista problem was fixed but its not exactly the same fault.
> >
> > "Carsten Kinder [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Kevin,
> > >
> > > what is the exact error message that you are receiving on the Vista
> > > computers?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Carsten Kinder
> > > Microsoft Services
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Kevin M

Re: Users are unable to change domain password
OK, this has now came back again to bite me. Nothing has changed in the
config since the new 2008 DC was installed. Something is being re-applied to
stop this working.

"Kevin M" wrote:

> Jay, I have just resolved this issue but still don't know what caused the
> fault.
>
> I have just added a 2008 DC in to my domain today, ran /forestprep
> /domainprep then just the usual DC promo. Went to a workstation that was
> already logged on and changed the password without issue.
>
> I'm wondering if it was something the new AD schema changes fixed or does
> the New DC have a permission set correctly the others do not?
>
> Maybe an AD corruption issue of some sort resolve by actions above.
>
> "Jay" wrote:
>
> > Hi Kevin,
> >
> > I just had this same problem today on Vista 32 bit. Had to fire up a XP VPC
> > to reset my password. Did you get any answers on this yet?
> >
> > Jay
> >
> > "Kevin M" wrote:
> >
> > > Cartsen, did we get any futher with the previous post I added? Always shows
> > > "Incorrect username or password", it's like some sort of translation problem.
> > >
> > > I know a German vista problem was fixed but its not exactly the same fault.

marriusvd

Re: Users are unable to change domain password

Does anyone have a solution to this. We've been running around for the
last 2-3 months. The users were all working 100%.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Running Windows Vista SP1
AD = Windows Server 2003

Users migrated to new Domain and Vista.

The user has to go to a non-migrated workstation to change the
password.

Our problem also only seems to be on Notebooks (various vendors).

Thanx

--
marriusvd
GoF150XLT

Re: Users are unable to change domain password

I had the same issue, and tried many of the suggestions listed above.
It turns out that the users computer time was off by 8 minutes. We ran
the "net time '\\domaincontrollerservername'
(file://\\domaincontrollerservername) /set" command from a command
prompt and it worked fine. He was able to change his password after
that. Our domain controller also administers the time keeping on our
network.

--
GoF150XLT