Defender

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

AliceZ

Defender
In my Vista Home Premium SP1 I open the Defender page and in the upper right
there is a question mark (?) in a blue circle, and to the right of that there
is a "down arrow." If I click on that "down arrow" it will open another small
screen that has a line = "update defender." If I click on that, nothing
happens. Are we unable to download new updates for Defender from there?
Of must we always go to the Windows Update page?
Engel

RE: Defender
Hello Alice,

In About Windows Defender
Please confirm you have the following numbers:

Windows Defender versiºn: 1.1.1505.0 Vista-32 bit system
Engine Versiºn: 1.1.3408.0
Definition Versiºn: 1.31.9309.0
- -- ---

"AliceZ" wrote:

> In my Vista Home Premium SP1 I open the Defender page and in the upper right
> there is a question mark (?) in a blue circle, and to the right of that there
> is a "down arrow." If I click on that "down arrow" it will open another small
> screen that has a line = "update defender." If I click on that, nothing
> happens. Are we unable to download new updates for Defender from there?
> Of must we always go to the Windows Update page?

AliceZ

RE: Defender
Thanks.
Mine shows:

version: 1.1.1600.0 (no Vista-32 bit system showing)
Engine Version: 1.1.3408.0 (mine shows the same)
Definition Version: 1.31.9309.0 (mine shows the same>

I do have Vista Home Premium sp1 (I looked in Computer and it does show
32-bit)

==========
"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Alice,
>
> In About Windows Defender
> Please confirm you have the following numbers:
>
> Windows Defender versiºn: 1.1.1505.0 Vista-32 bit system
> Engine Versiºn: 1.1.3408.0
> Definition Versiºn: 1.31.9309.0
> - -- ---
>
> "AliceZ" wrote:
>
> > In my Vista Home Premium SP1 I open the Defender page and in the upper right
> > there is a question mark (?) in a blue circle, and to the right of that there
> > is a "down arrow." If I click on that "down arrow" it will open another small
> > screen that has a line = "update defender." If I click on that, nothing
> > happens. Are we unable to download new updates for Defender from there?
> > Of must we always go to the Windows Update page?

Engel

RE: Defender
Hi Alice,

I suggest, try D/L the updates for Windows Defender
from here:
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>

Please post the numbers after you update.

Good luck
- -- --

"AliceZ" wrote:

> Thanks.
> Mine shows:
>
> version: 1.1.1600.0 (no Vista-32 bit system showing)
> Engine Version: 1.1.3408.0 (mine shows the same)
> Definition Version: 1.31.9309.0 (mine shows the same>
>
> I do have Vista Home Premium sp1 (I looked in Computer and it does show
> 32-bit)
>
> ==========
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello Alice,
> >
> > In About Windows Defender
> > Please confirm you have the following numbers:
> >
> > Windows Defender versiºn: 1.1.1505.0 Vista-32 bit system
> > Engine Versiºn: 1.1.3408.0
> > Definition Versiºn: 1.31.9309.0
> > - -- ---
> >
> > "AliceZ" wrote:
> >
> > > In my Vista Home Premium SP1 I open the Defender page and in the upper right
> > > there is a question mark (?) in a blue circle, and to the right of that there
> > > is a "down arrow." If I click on that "down arrow" it will open another small
> > > screen that has a line = "update defender." If I click on that, nothing
> > > happens. Are we unable to download new updates for Defender from there?
> > > Of must we always go to the Windows Update page?

AliceZ

RE: Defender
I'm sorry, I really do not know what you are telling me to do. Please
remember, I am new at all of this. We did go to Windows Update and it did
download new "definitons" for Defender.
You stated your version was: version: 1.1.1505.0 Vista-32 bit system and
mine showed 1.1.1600.0 (no Vista-32 bit system)
Wouldn't that mean my version was "newer" than yours.
What would we "gain" by going to the "Defender" portal page?
Thanks.

=======================
"Engel" wrote:

> Hi Alice,
>
> I suggest, try D/L the updates for Windows Defender
> from here:
> <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>
>
> Please post the numbers after you update.
>
> Good luck
> - -- --
>

> "AliceZ" wrote:
>
> > Thanks.
> > Mine shows:
> >
> > version: 1.1.1600.0 (no Vista-32 bit system showing)
> > Engine Version: 1.1.3408.0 (mine shows the same)
> > Definition Version: 1.31.9309.0 (mine shows the same>
> >
> > I do have Vista Home Premium sp1 (I looked in Computer and it does show
> > 32-bit)
> >
> > ==========
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Alice,
> > >
> > > In About Windows Defender
> > > Please confirm you have the following numbers:
> > >
> > > Windows Defender versiºn: 1.1.1505.0 Vista-32 bit system
> > > Engine Versiºn: 1.1.3408.0
> > > Definition Versiºn: 1.31.9309.0
> > > - -- ---

Milo

Re: Defender

He would like you to go to the site where you can get the actual product
update, just to confirm the actual update

I would add this site to visit on how to update it

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/ADL.aspx#top

also if along the way you still have trouble with the said concern please
do call Microsoft Security (PSS) for a free support assistance 866 727 2338
( US/CANADA )

"AliceZ" <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry, I really do not know what you are telling me to do. Please
> remember, I am new at all of this. We did go to Windows Update and it did
> download new "definitons" for Defender.
> You stated your version was: version: 1.1.1505.0 Vista-32 bit system and
> mine showed 1.1.1600.0 (no Vista-32 bit system)
> Wouldn't that mean my version was "newer" than yours.
> What would we "gain" by going to the "Defender" portal page?
> Thanks.
>
> =======================
> "Engel" wrote:
>
>> Hi Alice,
>>
>> I suggest, try D/L the updates for Windows Defender
>> from here:
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>
>>
>> Please post the numbers after you update.
>>
>> Good luck
>> - -- --
>>

>> "AliceZ" wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks.
>> > Mine shows:
>> >
>> > version: 1.1.1600.0 (no Vista-32 bit system showing)
>> > Engine Version: 1.1.3408.0 (mine shows the same)
>> > Definition Version: 1.31.9309.0 (mine shows the same>
>> >
>> > I do have Vista Home Premium sp1 (I looked in Computer and it does show
>> > 32-bit)
>> >
>> > ==========

AliceZ

Re: Defender
I have no problem getting (Critical, etc.) from the Windows Update page,
including updates for Defender.
It was only going to the Defender page. At the top to the right of the Blue
question mark there is a down-pointing arrow. If you click on that, it states
"check for updates." When I clicked on that, and then clicked on the UAC
approval that popped-up, nothing happened. However, when I turned UAC Off,
(no UAC pop-up, because UAC was turned OFF) I was able to use that "Check for
Updates."
When I turned UAC back ON, and clicked on "check for updates," clicked on
UAC approval pop-up this time (because UAC was turned ON), nothing happened
after I clicked on "check for updates."
So, I can use that "check for updates" if the UAC is turned OFF. But I can
always get the Defender (definitions) updates from the Windows Update page.
I have Vista Home Premium sp1.
Thanks.