Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Cannot take ownership of file

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2008
Peter
 

Posts: n/a
Cannot take ownership of file
Background: I am running Windows Vista Business SP1, with UAC turned off.

Problem: I have approximately 8Gb of video files that I moved to an
external hard disk to free up space. The files moved successfully, but a
copy remains on my main hard disk - and I would like to delete the copy.
However, these files are inaccessable. I cannot delete them or take
ownership of them (and I am a local administrator).

I'm familiar with the standard method of taking ownership in Windows
Explorer, and I simply get an access denied error. I cannot see the current
security defined on the files as I do not have permission to access these
files. Running takeown from a command prompt also gives me an access is
denied error.

Security on the files copied to the external hard disk is correct.

I note that other people are having similar problems, e.g.:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6205&SiteID=17 ,
however in my case these are not files copied from another system.

What appears to have haapened is that the move operation did not complete
successfully and I am left with orphaned unmanagable files that are taking up
considerable hard disk space.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2008
Peter
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Cannot take ownership of file
Update: Problems solved, somehow. I tried to reboot to safe mode to see if
that would give me more options. The laptop seemed to hang up trying to load
drivers getting into safe mode, and eventually gave up and rebooted into
normal mode. Once that had happened, I was able to access and clear the
files from my hard disk. Who knows why? The "shut up and reboot" solution,
I guess.

"Peter" wrote:

> Background: I am running Windows Vista Business SP1, with UAC turned off.
>
> Problem: I have approximately 8Gb of video files that I moved to an
> external hard disk to free up space. The files moved successfully, but a
> copy remains on my main hard disk - and I would like to delete the copy.
> However, these files are inaccessable. I cannot delete them or take
> ownership of them (and I am a local administrator).
>
> I'm familiar with the standard method of taking ownership in Windows
> Explorer, and I simply get an access denied error. I cannot see the current
> security defined on the files as I do not have permission to access these
> files. Running takeown from a command prompt also gives me an access is
> denied error.
>
> Security on the files copied to the external hard disk is correct.
>
> I note that other people are having similar problems, e.g.:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6205&SiteID=17 ,
> however in my case these are not files copied from another system.
>
> What appears to have haapened is that the move operation did not complete
> successfully and I am left with orphaned unmanagable files that are taking up
> considerable hard disk space.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Peter

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2008
JABowders
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Cannot take ownership of file
Peter,

I too have seen that case, where only afeter rebooting can I finish what I
started to do, the UAC still seams to have some control over the operation of
the OS even with it turned OFF.

I contuine to look for ways of gaining control of the Vista OS instead of
the OS controling my actions with it.


James A. Bowders

"Peter" wrote:

> Update: Problems solved, somehow. I tried to reboot to safe mode to see if
> that would give me more options. The laptop seemed to hang up trying to load
> drivers getting into safe mode, and eventually gave up and rebooted into
> normal mode. Once that had happened, I was able to access and clear the
> files from my hard disk. Who knows why? The "shut up and reboot" solution,
> I guess.
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
> > Background: I am running Windows Vista Business SP1, with UAC turned off.
> >
> > Problem: I have approximately 8Gb of video files that I moved to an
> > external hard disk to free up space. The files moved successfully, but a
> > copy remains on my main hard disk - and I would like to delete the copy.
> > However, these files are inaccessable. I cannot delete them or take
> > ownership of them (and I am a local administrator).
> >
> > I'm familiar with the standard method of taking ownership in Windows
> > Explorer, and I simply get an access denied error. I cannot see the current
> > security defined on the files as I do not have permission to access these
> > files. Running takeown from a command prompt also gives me an access is
> > denied error.
> >
> > Security on the files copied to the external hard disk is correct.
> >
> > I note that other people are having similar problems, e.g.:
> > http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6205&SiteID=17 ,
> > however in my case these are not files copied from another system.
> >
> > What appears to have haapened is that the move operation did not complete
> > successfully and I am left with orphaned unmanagable files that are taking up
> > considerable hard disk space.
> >
> > Any advice appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Peter

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2008
meerkat
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot take ownership of file

"JABowders" <JABowders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8BDBD42F-187E-4827-8EFB-D0136B1A207D@microsoft.com...
> Peter,
>
> I too have seen that case, where only afeter rebooting can I finish what I
> started to do, the UAC still seams to have some control over the operation
> of
> the OS even with it turned OFF.
>
> I contuine to look for ways of gaining control of the Vista OS instead of
> the OS controling my actions with it.
>

Hi James.
If you want to take Ultimate control of your OS, go have a read here.
I`ve already done this, but I do hide behind a router !.
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...r_activate.htm


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing File Ownership =?Utf-8?B?c2FyaW1h?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 12-07-2008 20:40
Take ownership Bob microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 2 01-10-2008 03:48
Vista File Ownership Change Michael Gerbasio microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 10-26-2007 22:11
Ownership Jacqui microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 2 08-27-2007 10:51
Ownership ? Jerald D Montgomery microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 02-28-2007 14:14




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:19.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120