Annoying UAC Warning

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

MrKite

Annoying UAC Warning
I just built this PC, installed Vista and also MS Works 2001. I keep getting
a flashing UAC warning in the task bar that WKUpdate.exe wants to access my
computer. I can click allow or deny, and it keeps coming back, no option to
add to trusted users. I am about ready to turn UAC off anyway. Any
suggestions? Thanks.
DLoyd

Re: Annoying UAC Warning
Yes, my suggestion is DO NOT DISABLE UAC.
Many posts relate to this subject and UAC is a security feature that is one
of the best ways not to get spyware added to your system. If you turn it
off you will lose a great feature for this type of security. It does seem
to get in the way a little, be a little annoying etc. But the alternative
is much worse. But this is IMHO only.
Dan
"MrKite" <MrKite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just built this PC, installed Vista and also MS Works 2001. I keep
>getting
> a flashing UAC warning in the task bar that WKUpdate.exe wants to access
> my
> computer. I can click allow or deny, and it keeps coming back, no option
> add to trusted users. I am about ready to turn UAC off anyway. Any
> suggestions? Thanks.

MrKite

Re: Annoying UAC Warning
Thanks for the response. I may tough it out a little longer, hopefully the
alerts will drop off in number.

"DLoyd" wrote:

> Yes, my suggestion is DO NOT DISABLE UAC.
> Many posts relate to this subject and UAC is a security feature that is one
> of the best ways not to get spyware added to your system. If you turn it
> off you will lose a great feature for this type of security. It does seem
> to get in the way a little, be a little annoying etc. But the alternative
> is much worse. But this is IMHO only.
> Dan
> "MrKite" <MrKite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just built this PC, installed Vista and also MS Works 2001. I keep
> >getting
> > a flashing UAC warning in the task bar that WKUpdate.exe wants to access
> > my
> > computer. I can click allow or deny, and it keeps coming back, no option
> > add to trusted users. I am about ready to turn UAC off anyway. Any
> > suggestions? Thanks.

Straight Talk

Re: Annoying UAC Warning
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:08:01 -0700, MrKite
<MrKite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just built this PC, installed Vista and also MS Works 2001. I keep getting
>a flashing UAC warning in the task bar that WKUpdate.exe wants to access my
>computer. I can click allow or deny, and it keeps coming back, no option to
>add to trusted users. I am about ready to turn UAC off anyway. Any
>suggestions? Thanks.

You shouldn't expect such an old version of a program to run
seamslessly on Vista.
Brink

Re: Annoying UAC Warning

MrKite;696881 Wrote:
> I just built this PC, installed Vista and also MS Works 2001. I keep
> getting
> a flashing UAC warning in the task bar that WKUpdate.exe wants to
> access my
> computer. I can click allow or deny, and it keeps coming back, no
> option to
> add to trusted users. I am about ready to turn UAC off anyway. Any
> suggestions? Thanks.

Hi MrKite,

You might see if using Compatibility Mode will allow MS Works 2001 to
run better for you. I would try checking the "Run as administrator"
option first. This tutorial will show you how to if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/75...lity-mode.html

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
MrKite

Re: Annoying UAC Warning
Thanks very much for the link, I will give it a try.

"Brink" wrote:

> MrKite;696881 Wrote:
> > I just built this PC, installed Vista and also MS Works 2001. I keep
> > getting
> > a flashing UAC warning in the task bar that WKUpdate.exe wants to
> > access my
> > computer. I can click allow or deny, and it keeps coming back, no
> > option to
> > add to trusted users. I am about ready to turn UAC off anyway. Any
> > suggestions? Thanks.

> Hi MrKite,
>
> You might see if using Compatibility Mode will allow MS Works 2001 to
> run better for you. I would try checking the "Run as administrator"
> option first. This tutorial will show you how to if needed.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/75...lity-mode.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

MrKite

Re: Annoying UAC Warning
You are right, I get stuck in the past sometimes and expect everything to
function as though nothing had changed. It may be time to put the dinosaur
out to pasture and try Open Office.