Installing on Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

C. Price

Installing on Vista
Hello All,
Heres the story...I recently purchased a new PC running Vista Home
Premium and when I got it home, I wanted to test its graphics, so I
downloaded the free PC game, America's Army. When I tried to install, I
received an error about ISKernels. When I searched this error, I found that I
needed to download some service packs for Invest Sign. When I downloaded
these and attempt to install them, I am prompted by Vista to "Enter the
Password." Now, when I created my Admin account, I did not enter a password,
so I have no clue what password they may mean. While investigating this
problem, I have attempted to right-click the files and select "Run As
Administrator," as well as creating a password and then trying ot use that
during installation. Unfortunately, neither of these things work. Is there a
default Vista password or is this a bug? Does anyone have a fix? Thanks all.

C. Price
John Barnett MVP

Re: Installing on Vista
There isn't a default password. You create the password yourself when you
install Vista. Have you simply tried hitting the Enter key when asked for a
password? If you haven't entered a password then the password is blank,
hitting Enter should able you to continue.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"C. Price" <C. Price@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
> Heres the story...I recently purchased a new PC running Vista Home
> Premium and when I got it home, I wanted to test its graphics, so I
> downloaded the free PC game, America's Army. When I tried to install, I
> received an error about ISKernels. When I searched this error, I found
> that I
> needed to download some service packs for Invest Sign. When I downloaded
> these and attempt to install them, I am prompted by Vista to "Enter the
> Password." Now, when I created my Admin account, I did not enter a
> password,
> so I have no clue what password they may mean. While investigating this
> problem, I have attempted to right-click the files and select "Run As
> Administrator," as well as creating a password and then trying ot use that
> during installation. Unfortunately, neither of these things work. Is there
> default Vista password or is this a bug? Does anyone have a fix? Thanks
> all.
>
> C. Price

C. Price

Re: Installing on Vista
I probably should have mentioned this in my original post, but the "Enter"
box will not highlight for me to be able to click it, whether or not I type
something into the password box.

C. Price

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> There isn't a default password. You create the password yourself when you
> install Vista. Have you simply tried hitting the Enter key when asked for a
> password? If you haven't entered a password then the password is blank,
> hitting Enter should able you to continue.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "C. Price" <C. Price@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> > Heres the story...I recently purchased a new PC running Vista Home
> > Premium and when I got it home, I wanted to test its graphics, so I
> > downloaded the free PC game, America's Army. When I tried to install, I
> > received an error about ISKernels. When I searched this error, I found
> > that I
> > needed to download some service packs for Invest Sign. When I downloaded
> > these and attempt to install them, I am prompted by Vista to "Enter the
> > Password." Now, when I created my Admin account, I did not enter a
> > password,
> > so I have no clue what password they may mean. While investigating this
> > problem, I have attempted to right-click the files and select "Run As
> > Administrator," as well as creating a password and then trying ot use that
> > during installation. Unfortunately, neither of these things work. Is there
> > default Vista password or is this a bug? Does anyone have a fix? Thanks
> > all.
> >
> > C. Price

Mick Murphy

Re: Installing on Vista
You hit the "ENTER" Key on your keyboard with your finger!!!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"C. Price" wrote:

> I probably should have mentioned this in my original post, but the "Enter"
> box will not highlight for me to be able to click it, whether or not I type
> something into the password box.
>
> C. Price
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
> > There isn't a default password. You create the password yourself when you
> > install Vista. Have you simply tried hitting the Enter key when asked for a
> > password? If you haven't entered a password then the password is blank,
> > hitting Enter should able you to continue.
> >
> > --
> > --
> > John Barnett MVP
> > Associate Expert
> > Windows Desktop Experience
> >
> > Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> > Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >
> > The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> > kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> > reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> > any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> > use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> > mail/post..
> >
> > "C. Price" <C. Price@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello All,
> > > Heres the story...I recently purchased a new PC running Vista Home
> > > Premium and when I got it home, I wanted to test its graphics, so I
> > > downloaded the free PC game, America's Army. When I tried to install, I
> > > received an error about ISKernels. When I searched this error, I found
> > > that I
> > > needed to download some service packs for Invest Sign. When I downloaded
> > > these and attempt to install them, I am prompted by Vista to "Enter the
> > > Password." Now, when I created my Admin account, I did not enter a
> > > password,
> > > so I have no clue what password they may mean. While investigating this
> > > problem, I have attempted to right-click the files and select "Run As
> > > Administrator," as well as creating a password and then trying ot use that
> > > during installation. Unfortunately, neither of these things work. Is there
> > > default Vista password or is this a bug? Does anyone have a fix? Thanks
> > > all.
> > >
> > > C. Price

John Barnett MVP

Re: Installing on Vista
You don't need to use the mouse, as Mick pointed out in his post, you just
hit Enter on your keyboard.

>I probably should have mentioned this in my original post, but the "Enter"
> box will not highlight for me to be able to click it, whether or not I
> type
> something into the password box.
>
> C. Price
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> There isn't a default password. You create the password yourself when you
>> install Vista. Have you simply tried hitting the Enter key when asked for
>> password? If you haven't entered a password then the password is blank,
>> hitting Enter should able you to continue.

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "C. Price" <C. Price@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello All,
>> > Heres the story...I recently purchased a new PC running Vista Home
>> > Premium and when I got it home, I wanted to test its graphics, so I
>> > downloaded the free PC game, America's Army. When I tried to install, I
>> > received an error about ISKernels. When I searched this error, I found
>> > that I
>> > needed to download some service packs for Invest Sign. When I
>> > downloaded
>> > these and attempt to install them, I am prompted by Vista to "Enter the
>> > Password." Now, when I created my Admin account, I did not enter a
>> > password,
>> > so I have no clue what password they may mean. While investigating this
>> > problem, I have attempted to right-click the files and select "Run As
>> > Administrator," as well as creating a password and then trying ot use
>> > that
>> > during installation. Unfortunately, neither of these things work. Is
>> > there
>> > default Vista password or is this a bug? Does anyone have a fix? Thanks
>> > all.
>> >
>> > C. Price

C. Price

Re: Installing on Vista
Listen, I'm well aware that I could hit "Enter" on my keyboard; however, it
does nothing when I do hit it, because the option is not available whether or
not I enter a password. In order for hitting "Enter" on my keyboard to work,
the box in which I'm entering my password must have an option highlighted
which hitting "Enter" would select. Thank you for assuming I am completely
incapable.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> You don't need to use the mouse, as Mick pointed out in his post, you just
> hit Enter on your keyboard.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "C. Price" <CPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I probably should have mentioned this in my original post, but the "Enter"
> > box will not highlight for me to be able to click it, whether or not I
> > type
> > something into the password box.
> >
> > C. Price
> >
> > "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> There isn't a default password. You create the password yourself when you
> >> install Vista. Have you simply tried hitting the Enter key when asked for
> >> password? If you haven't entered a password then the password is blank,
> >> hitting Enter should able you to continue.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Windows Desktop Experience
> >>
> >> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >>
> >> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> >> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> >> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> >> for
> >> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> >> the
> >> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> >> mail/post..

John Barnett MVP

Re: Installing on Vista
From my experience a large proportion of people who ask for help on these
newsgroups are not 'techies' therefore it is better to explain the 'obvious'
rather than race ahead assuming the person knows as much as oneself about
the problem. If that were the case, they wouldn't be using a newsgroup, they
would be solving the problems themselves. many users also don't like
admitting that the don't know what they are doing, but rather than say so
they let the 'helper' continue setting out the remedy to the problem and not
really understanding what they have to do. By saying 'I don't know much
about computers' it helps people like me to decide whether to say do this or
do that or go for a simpler take of saying 1/ click start; 2/ click all
programs etc to make things nice and easy. No one has said or assumed for
that matter you were 'completely incapable' as you put it!

You haven't had this problem before when installing software? I don't think
that it is a bug in Vista (although it may be) however, it could be a
problem with Invest Signs updates. I am not a gamer so haven't a clue what
this game does, but have you checked to see if the game is Vista compatible?
For that matter who is to say that the admin password is not something that
the update is asking for rather than Vista (in other words it may be you
need a password from Invest Sign to install the update?)

As Vista doesn't have a default password and you haven't created a password
protected user account when you installed Vista the only suggestion I can
make is to contact the creators of the game and ask if they are experiencing
problems with the updates or are any user's complaining that they can't
install because of administrative password problems.