Insufficient Privileges

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

bilvihur

Insufficient Privileges
Running Vista Basic SP1 as only user. While trying to update Adobe Reader, I
get msg saying installer has insufficient privileges to access the Adobe
directory, cannot continue, Logon as administrator. It doesn't give me the
option of downloading the file, and then using right-click, Run as
Administrator. Any suggestions? Thanks.
BillD

RE: Insufficient Privileges

"bilvihur" wrote:

> It doesn't give me the
> option of using right-click, Run as
> Administrator. Any suggestions?

If the “Run as an administrator” check box is disabled or greyed out, then
UAC is disabled. Re-enabling UAC corrects this.

bilvihur

RE: Insufficient Privileges
I meant the Installer runs contiguous with the download. It doesn't give me
the option of first downloading, and then installing (as an Administrator).

"BillD" wrote:

> "bilvihur" wrote:
>
> > It doesn't give me the
> > option of using right-click, Run as
> > Administrator. Any suggestions?

> If the “Run as an administrator” check box is disabled or greyed out, then
> UAC is disabled. Re-enabling UAC corrects this.

t-4-2

bilvihur;695628 Wrote:
> Running Vista Basic SP1 as only user. While trying to update Adobe
> Reader, I
> get msg saying installer has insufficient privileges to access the
> Adobe
> directory, cannot continue, Logon as administrator. It doesn't give me
> the
> option of downloading the file, and then using right-click, Run as
> Administrator. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello bilvihur,
Use the link below. After installing that, logon to that account and do
your update. Let me know if it's ok this time.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

--
t-4-2
Dwarf

RE: Insufficient Privileges
Hi bilvihur,

It is possible to download Adobe Reader without installing it at the same
time. Firstly, go to the website (link given below). Click to clear the tick
next to 'Free Google Toolbar' - you can set Google as one of the search
options in the standard search box, so this is superfluous. Next, click
'Download now'. A dialogue box should appear headed 'Did you notice the
Information Bar?'. Click 'Close' to dismiss. At the same time, a pale yellow
bar should appear at top of the web page with a blue shield and white tick
entitled 'This website wants to run the following add-on:...'. Click the 'X'
to close it. Next, under 'Download Notes', click on 'click here to download'.
A dialogue box should appear 'File Download - Security Warning'. Click
'Save'. Accept the default location (it should be your download folder) and
note the filename. Click 'Save'. The file will now be downloaded. Next,
locate the downloaded file and right-click on it. Select 'Run as
administrator' and provide administrative credentials to continue. Adobe
reader should now install and update itself.
Dwarf

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...?promoid=BUIGO

"bilvihur" wrote:

> Running Vista Basic SP1 as only user. While trying to update Adobe Reader, I
> get msg saying installer has insufficient privileges to access the Adobe
> directory, cannot continue, Logon as administrator. It doesn't give me the
> option of downloading the file, and then using right-click, Run as
> Administrator. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bilvihur

RE: Insufficient Privileges
Thanks for the reply. I did as you said, and downloaded the exe file. But
when I tried to Run As Administrator, I got the same Insufficient Privileges
error! UAC has caused me so much trouble that I'm considering turning it off,
but I'll try other suggestions.

Dwarf

RE: Insufficient Privileges
Hi bilvihur,

Try this. It may or may not work. Click the start orb and type 'control
userpasswords2' into the search box and press enter. After providing
administrative credentials, the main dialogue box will open. Select your User
Name and click 'Properties'. In this page, click 'Group Membership' and then
click 'Administrator' and 'OK' twice to close the dialogue boxes. Try
installing Acrobat Reader again as described in my previous post. Finally,
repeat the above procedure to reset your account type to what it was
previously. Do not leave your everyday account set up as an administrator for
more than is necessary, revert it back to 'Users' when you have finished.
Dwarf

"bilvihur" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I did as you said, and downloaded the exe file. But
> when I tried to Run As Administrator, I got the same Insufficient Privileges
> error! UAC has caused me so much trouble that I'm considering turning it off,
> but I'll try other suggestions.

bilvihur

RE: Insufficient Privileges
Again, I tried what you said, but got the same error (albeit with a different
file). I then deleted every instance of Adobe from my Program Files and
Program Data folders. I was FINALLY able to install Adobe 8.1.2! Thanks for
the help. I think MS should rethink this whole UAC strategy.

JABowders

RE: Insufficient Privileges
You are toying with my NUMBER 1 COMPLAINT about VISTA, the MASTER CONTROL
PROGRAM...

What I did so far to get as much control is to make sure that as the only
user I have Full Admin rights, then I turned OFF the User Account Control.

This has given me about 80% control over the OS, but there are still folders
it won't let me open and it still denies me a few things. I am constantly
looking for OS control features so I can manage the OS as I see fit and not
the OS managing my use of the OS.

James A. Bowders