WPA2 configuration

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

oakridge

WPA2 configuration
New HP desktop with LAN. 2yr old hp laptop using linksys router for
wireless. New wireless connection is WEP. Linksys tech says my router
supports WPA2, however, when I try to change the configuration to WPA2 it
kicks me off-line and I have to go back to my wired desktop to change
settings back to WEP.

On my security properties it has a dropdown box with WPA2 option, but when
checked it asks for a security key. I either don't have one or don't know
where to find it -- nor do I understand where the problem lies. With
linksys, with vista or my own ignorance?

Thanks, I've worried this for weeks with no firm answer.
--
oakridge
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: WPA2 configuration
What's the model number of the router ? -
If it's the WRT54G family, click here for it's download page.
Be sure to check the Version as shown in the graphic:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...ypage=download

If not, product select page:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4139637314B03

You need to grab the User Manual to see how WPA2 is set up properly or,
if you feel lucky, use the Quick Installation guide.
Didn't the Linksys tech provide a clue besides telling you the router
supports WPA2 ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

oakridge wrote:

> New HP desktop with LAN. 2yr old hp laptop using linksys router for
> wireless. New wireless connection is WEP. Linksys tech says my router
> supports WPA2, however, when I try to change the configuration to WPA2 it
> kicks me off-line and I have to go back to my wired desktop to change
> settings back to WEP.
>
> On my security properties it has a dropdown box with WPA2 option, but when
> checked it asks for a security key. I either don't have one or don't know
> where to find it -- nor do I understand where the problem lies. With
> linksys, with vista or my own ignorance?
>
> Thanks, I've worried this for weeks with no firm answer.

oakridge

Re: WPA2 configuration
I replied to this message this morning but it doesn't seem to have posted. I
did get it fixed though not quite as I had hoped. I don't think my linksys
WRT54G V3 supports WPA2 even though the tech said it did. I ended up using
WPA pre-shared key on linksys -- then using simply the WPA Personal in Vista
and my "secret key". I assume these two equal. That combination works
whereas when I was choosing WPA2 in Vista it would kick me off-line. It
works for now, is better than WEP and I saved a minimum of $32.95 which I
could apply to a new router if I wanted

I did just come across this site that gives a good explanation of these
different terms, ie the WPA-PSK. It was written in 2003 for XP, but still
good, easy-to-understand information - especially the terminology.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july28.mspx
--
oakridge