Spyware programme.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

charlie

Spyware programme.
Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an anti-virus
installed?
Engel

RE: Spyware programme.
Hello Charlie,

Yes, you can have installed only one antivirus and 2 or more spyware
programas.
(Remeber only one program running as a Real Time Protection)

Spyware
Spyware is a program using Internet to send various user’s data without his
prior knowledge. Similarly to adware, accepting the license agreement can be
a part of a free program. Spyware usually sends statistical data as
information about installed programs, visited sites, etc. Acquired
information is usually exploited for commercial gain.

Virus
Virus is a program able to self-replicate. It spreads by inserting copies of
itself into other executable files and ensures their execution. The name is
derived from similarity to behavior of biological viruses. Virus can get to
your computer mainly through usage of the Internet. Additionally, viruses can
spread to other computers by infecting files on LAN or when copying from data
medium like floppy disc, CD, DVD, etc. There are file viruses, thus
individual malicious programs, boot viruses, which attack boot sector of a
hard disc to make sure that they run every time the computer is started and
macroviruses, which are most often a part of documents with .DOC and .XLS
extension.

Viruses can be further divided into two types, on the basis of their
behavior when they get executed. Whereas non-resident viruses are started
upon execution of infected object, a resident virus loads itself into memory
on execution and transfers control to the host program. The virus stays
active in the background and infects new hosts when those files are accessed.
- -- ---

"charlie" wrote:

> Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an anti-virus
> installed?

Gordon

Re: Spyware programme.
"charlie" <charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an anti-virus
> installed?

Yes - the two are totally different....

.Joe

Re: Spyware programme.

charlie;691872 Wrote:
> Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an
> anti-virus
> installed?

It depends on the anti-virus program. Does it scan for spyware, adware,
malware and other evilware besides viruses? Many anti-virus programs do,
and if yours does, then it would be optional to install and use a
spyware program. Some programs pick up or scan for different things. I'd
check out your anti-virus program features and see what it looks for.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png\")_
_*::Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4031 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/51273\")_
_CPU-Z (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345866\")_
John Barnett MVP

Re: Spyware programme.
Yes an anti spyware/malware program is necessary - some will say even two or
three different variants of spyware/malware application. Windows Vista
already has Windows Defender anyway so you are, assuming you are using
Windows defender, covered. Other alternatives are Ad-Aware and Spybot search
and destroy (just Google for them)

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"charlie" <charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an anti-virus
> installed?

Mick Murphy

RE: Spyware programme.
Charlie, below is the security I use, and how to!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"charlie" wrote:

> Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an anti-virus
> installed?

Mick Murphy

RE: Spyware programme.
Charlie, below is the security I use, and how to!

Above is the link for Norton Removal Tool; if using Norton.

Vista’s Firewall is very good!

Above is a link to Avast Free 4 Home Anti-Virus
It is low resource using, free and Vista 32bit and 64bit compatible.
Only have one (1) anti-virus installed; more than 1 can cause conflicts.

For Spyware removal, use the above link to “Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2”
Download it, install it, update it, immunize your system and scan your
System with it.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

For a non-scanning, but running in the background, Program to STOP Spyware
being downloaded to your Computer, use SpywareBlaster 4, available at the
above link.

IMPORTANT ADVICE: After scanning with the above Programs, problems still
remain.

Reboot computer, and tap F8 at power on/ startup. From the list of options
that appears, select Safe mode by using the UP and DOWN Arrows, then hit
ENTER.

Rescan the computer in Safe mode.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"charlie" wrote:

> Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an anti-virus
> installed?

FromTheRafters

Re: Spyware programme.
Nice informative post Engel.

It may interest you that some viruses don't spread by
inserting copies of themselves into executable files.
File infectors are pretty common though.

Check out the DirII infection method just FYI.

"Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Charlie,
>
> Yes, you can have installed only one antivirus and 2 or more spyware
> programas.
> (Remeber only one program running as a Real Time Protection)
>

> Spyware
> Spyware is a program using Internet to send various user’s data without
> his
> prior knowledge. Similarly to adware, accepting the license agreement can
> be
> a part of a free program. Spyware usually sends statistical data as
> information about installed programs, visited sites, etc. Acquired
> information is usually exploited for commercial gain.
>

> Virus
> Virus is a program able to self-replicate. It spreads by inserting copies
> of
> itself into other executable files and ensures their execution. The name
> is
> derived from similarity to behavior of biological viruses. Virus can get
> your computer mainly through usage of the Internet. Additionally, viruses
> can
> spread to other computers by infecting files on LAN or when copying from
> data
> medium like floppy disc, CD, DVD, etc. There are file viruses, thus
> individual malicious programs, boot viruses, which attack boot sector of a
> hard disc to make sure that they run every time the computer is started
> and
> macroviruses, which are most often a part of documents with .DOC and .XLS
> extension.
>
> Viruses can be further divided into two types, on the basis of their
> behavior when they get executed. Whereas non-resident viruses are started
> upon execution of infected object, a resident virus loads itself into
> memory
> on execution and transfers control to the host program. The virus stays
> active in the background and infects new hosts when those files are
> accessed.
> - -- ---
>

> "charlie" wrote:
>
>> Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an
>> anti-virus
>> installed?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Spyware programme.
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:03:00 -0700, charlie
<charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an anti-virus
> installed?

I strongly recommend *against* spyware programs. But I strongly
recommend *for* anti-spyware programs. ;-)

The fact that you have an anti-virus program installed is irrelevant.
Most do little or nothing about spyware.

In fact a single anti-spyware program isn't sufficient. Note what Eric
Howes, who has done extensive testing on Anti-Spyware products,
states:

"No single anti-spyware scanner removes everything. Even the
best-performing anti-spyware scanner in these tests missed fully one
quarter of the "critical" files and Registry entries" See
http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Kayman

Re: Spyware programme.
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:03:00 -0700, charlie wrote:

> Is a spyware programme really neccessary if you already have an anti-virus
> installed?

AV applications normally detect "viral malware".
What AV applications usually don't detect is "non-viral" malware (things
like spyware and adware).
The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging and
oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software that
cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need multiple
products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch what
another may miss.