trojan/adware pop up on vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Sunil

trojan/adware pop up on vista
I have my Vista updated with all the latest patches ( also with SP1) , I
also have upto date windows defender.
Still i get a pop up frequently coming up. Any clues how to get rid of this.
Yes I also have auto popup blocked on IE .

The user working on the system is a normal user who does not have any
administrative preveliges.

Appriciate some response.

Regards
Sunil

Malke

Re: trojan/adware pop up on vista
Sunil wrote:

> I have my Vista updated with all the latest patches ( also with SP1) , I
> also have upto date windows defender.
> Still i get a pop up frequently coming up. Any clues how to get rid of
> this. Yes I also have auto popup blocked on IE .
>
> The user working on the system is a normal user who does not have any
> administrative preveliges.

Since you forgot to include any information about the popup such as its name
or the name of the program it is trying to get you to buy, I can't give you
specific advice. You also forgot to mention which antivirus you have
installed.

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
malware here:
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -

When all else fails, get guided help. Choose one of the specialty forums
listed at the first link. Register and read its posting FAQ. You will
generally be asked to:

1. Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT) -
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...HJTInstall.exe

2. Disable Notepad's word wrap - In Notepad.exe; Format --> uncheck; "Word
wrap"

3. Download/run Deckard's System Scanner -
http://www.techsupportforum.com/sect...eckard/dss.exe

4. Save the scan results (Main.txt and Extra.txt)

5. And then post the contents of Main.txt and Extra.txt in your post at the
forum you chose. DO NOT POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work yourself
(and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be
so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. If possible, have
all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Sunil

Re: trojan/adware pop up on vista
Dear Mr Malke,
We are using Mc Afee
Is there any way i can send you the screen shot?

it is taking me to
http://antispyware-reviews.biz/

Sunil wrote:

> Dear Mr Malke,
> We are using Mc Afee
> Is there any way i can send you the screen shot?
>
> it is taking me to
> http://antispyware-reviews.biz/

No, you can't send me a screenshot. The information you provided above is
fine. Use the removal steps I already gave you - check on Bleeping Computer
for targeted removal. If you can't find anything either go through the
steps I already outlined, or register at Bleeping Computer or one of the
other specialty forums for guided help, or take the machine to a
professional.

Malke
--
MS-MVP