Need to recover encrypted files from Windows XP drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

owlfan12000

Need to recover encrypted files from Windows XP drive
I had a problem with an older Windows XP Pro machine. I now have a Windows
Vista Premier x64 machine. Since the old computer had an ATA drive I couldn't
just move the old hard drive to the new SATA system so I have bought an
external hard drive kit to connect the old drive to the new system via a USB
2.0 port.

My problems is that I can no longer access some encrypted files on the old
hard drive. I would appreciate help figuring out how to recover the old
files.
Brian Komar \(MVP\)

Re: Need to recover encrypted files from Windows XP drive
You need to decrypt the files by importing in your old EFS encryption
certificate (which you should have exported on the old XP Pro machine).
Alternatively, if the XP machine was in a domain, the EFS recovery agent for
the domain's certificate and private key can be used to recover the EFS
files.
You can view the thumbprints of the certificates by viewing the properties
of the affected files on the General tab, by clicking the Advanced button.
You must have both the certificate with the matching thumbprint and access
to the private key.

Brian

"owlfan12000" <owlfan12000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a problem with an older Windows XP Pro machine. I now have a Windows
> Vista Premier x64 machine. Since the old computer had an ATA drive I
> couldn't
> just move the old hard drive to the new SATA system so I have bought an
> external hard drive kit to connect the old drive to the new system via a
> USB
> 2.0 port.
>
> My problems is that I can no longer access some encrypted files on the old
> hard drive. I would appreciate help figuring out how to recover the old
> files.

owlfan12000

Re: Need to recover encrypted files from Windows XP drive
Brian,

Thanks for your help. I've got a few questions/comments:

1. "You need to decrypt the files by importing in your old EFS encryption
(which you should have exported on the old XP Pro machine)." The old machine
crashed so I did not export anything. Is there a knowledge base article or
something that describes how to import the old EFS encryption now? Is it even
possible?

2. I'm not sure whether my old machine was set up as a domain or not. I did
have multiple users set up with XP Pro.

3. I can't view any encryption info from the advanced button of a file. The
encryption box is checked but it is grayed out.

4. Some additional history in case it is relevant. The files in question are
in a folder that was copied from an even earlier computer hard drive that may
have been running Windows 98. In the XP machine I installed the old drive as
a slave and copied the folder over to a new directory on the XP machine. I
still have the original drive from the Windows 98 machine. New files were
later added to the directory.

5. FYI, My first computer was a Zenith 8088 with a 10 MB hard drive so I
know my way around directories and can find my way around the registry if
necessary. That being said I've become less educated about the operating
systems as Microsoft has moved to XP and I'm still very frustrated finding
anything in Vista. (All of that means I also know enough to be dangerous.)

John

"Brian Komar (MVP)" wrote:

> You need to decrypt the files by importing in your old EFS encryption
> certificate (which you should have exported on the old XP Pro machine).
> Alternatively, if the XP machine was in a domain, the EFS recovery agent for
> the domain's certificate and private key can be used to recover the EFS
> files.
> You can view the thumbprints of the certificates by viewing the properties
> of the affected files on the General tab, by clicking the Advanced button.
> You must have both the certificate with the matching thumbprint and access
> to the private key.
>
> Brian
>
> "owlfan12000" <owlfan12000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a problem with an older Windows XP Pro machine. I now have a Windows
> > Vista Premier x64 machine. Since the old computer had an ATA drive I
> > couldn't
> > just move the old hard drive to the new SATA system so I have bought an
> > external hard drive kit to connect the old drive to the new system via a
> > USB
> > 2.0 port.
> >
> > My problems is that I can no longer access some encrypted files on the old
> > hard drive. I would appreciate help figuring out how to recover the old
> > files.

Paul Adare

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:13:01 -0700, owlfan12000 wrote:

> Thanks for your help. I've got a few questions/comments:
>
> 1. "You need to decrypt the files by importing in your old EFS encryption
> (which you should have exported on the old XP Pro machine)." The old machine
> crashed so I did not export anything. Is there a knowledge base article or
> something that describes how to import the old EFS encryption now? Is it even
> possible?

If you used EFS encryption on these files and had not exported the EFS
certificate and private key and don't have a valid backup of the system
from before it crashed then your files are gone for good.

--
Paul Adare
http://www.identit.ca
Alun Harford

owlfan12000 wrote:
> I had a problem with an older Windows XP Pro machine. I now have a Windows
> Vista Premier x64 machine. Since the old computer had an ATA drive I couldn't
> just move the old hard drive to the new SATA system so I have bought an
> external hard drive kit to connect the old drive to the new system via a USB
> 2.0 port.
>
> My problems is that I can no longer access some encrypted files on the old
> hard drive. I would appreciate help figuring out how to recover the old
> files.

This isn't trivial.

You need to create an account with the same username, password, user
number and machine sid as the original account, copy Crypto, Protect and
SystemCertificates directories from
X:\Docs&Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\ to your machine
and log in as that user.
Temujin

--
Temujin

bettyharven is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to recover encrypted files from Windows XP drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlfan12000 View Post
I had a problem with an older Windows XP Pro machine. I now have a Windows
Vista Premier x64 machine. Since the old computer had an ATA drive I couldn't
just move the old hard drive to the new SATA system so I have bought an
external hard drive kit to connect the old drive to the new system via a USB
2.0 port.

My problems is that I can no longer access some encrypted files on the old
hard drive. I would appreciate help figuring out how to recover the old
files from hard drive
.
Remember that the best way to recover data from a failed hard drive is by doing preventative measures. Always back up your files. Do this even if you just started using your computer. This will save you time should your computer dies on you.

Last edited by bettyharven : 04-24-2013 at 10:36.

Niillysafely is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to recover encrypted files from Windows XP drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlfan12000 View Post
I had a problem with an older Windows XP Pro machine. I now have a Windows
Vista Premier x64 machine. Since the old computer had an ATA drive I couldn't
just move the old hard drive to the new SATA system so I have bought an
external hard drive kit to connect the old drive to the new system via a USB
2.0 port.

My problems is that I can no longer access some encrypted files on the old
hard drive. I would appreciate help figuring out how to recover the old
files.

If you've accidentally deleted files from your PC, don't worry. You can recover deleted files from a hard drive for free. You can even recover permanently deleted files, so there's no need to panic if you used "Shift-Delete" to remove your files. They can still be restored. If you emptied the bin, used Shift-Delete to get rid of the file, deleted it from within an application or used some other method of removing it that bypassed the bin, then it is still almost certainly recoverable. When you empty the Recycle Bin or delete a file using another method, the file is still not really deleted,

As for me, I used Vibosoft Data Recovery Master too, It also has powerful tools including thumbnail preview for all files which allows you to quickly identify the files you need to recover. Most other undelete products have only limited preview capabilities, forcing you to waste time recovering files before you can examine them and see if they are what you want.

Last edited by Niillysafely : 09-03-2013 at 03:54.

vinceterloy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to recover encrypted files from Windows XP drive
TestDisk (Win/OS X/Linux, Free): If you're not afraid of the command line, TestDisk is an open source utility that can run against almost any platform or partition type. It does a great job of recovering data quickly, and won't do unnecessary writes against the drive you're trying to recover data from corrupted drive.

You may be lucky and recover a few files using Myjad Data Recovery program, tbh though most of them will probably recover and be corrupt.

Last edited by vinceterloy : 09-26-2013 at 10:43.