Vista Home UAC prevents installation of programs/Elevation dialog not shown

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Anthony Wieser

Vista Home UAC prevents installation of programs/Elevation dialog not shown
I've had a customer have problems installing our program RIP Vinyl
(www.ripvinyl.com) on his Vista Home system, but haven't had this from any
of our other users.

This customer reports that our installer (a wrapper that runs msiexec) gives
the error return 1625 which translates as ERROR_INSTALL_PACKAGE_REJECTED

As it's not possible (so far as I know) to set a security policy under Vista
Home, that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I offered to help him via microsoft messenger, but when he tried to install
that, he got the same error message, so it's obviously a problem with his
system configuration, and not our installer.

In the end he resolved the problem, by switching *off* user access control
on his vista system, at which point it installs correctly. He assures me
that the elevation dialog didn't appear during the install when UAC was
switched on (whereas it does on my systems which are Vista Business). His
user account in not a limited account; it's an administrator account.

Has anyone run across this strange behaviour of the elevation dialog not
being shown during an install when it should be?

Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Home UAC prevents installation of programs/Elevation dialog
The Admin account that you are using is not a "true" Admin Account like in XP.
Have a read of the link below.

Also, for installation try Right-clicking on the setup.exe of the Program>
Run as Admin

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=942956
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia