VISTA EXPLORER RESTART AUTOMATICALLY

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Herman Kellerman

VISTA EXPLORER RESTART AUTOMATICALLY
My Vista Explorer (desktop) experienced a problem and closes after which it
re-opens, and then closes again. It carry on indefinitely so I cannot do any
thing on my PC. Take note - it is not IE! Any one that can help me fixing
this problem please?
Malke

Re: VISTA EXPLORER RESTART AUTOMATICALLY
Herman Kellerman wrote:

> My Vista Explorer (desktop) experienced a problem and closes after which
> it
> re-opens, and then closes again. It carry on indefinitely so I cannot do
> any thing on my PC. Take note - it is not IE! Any one that can help me
> fixing this problem please?

You need to troubleshoot this by discovering what is failing. Start by
looking in Event Viewer for clues:

Start Orb>Search Box>type: eventvwr.msc
Click on the program when it appears in the Results box above.

In addition, answer The First Question of Troubleshooting: what changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Herman Kellerman

Re: VISTA EXPLORER RESTART AUTOMATICALLY
The problem is that one cannot start anything from the desktop or the Start
button. Before you can select anything, explorer closes down, the screen goes
blank, and then exploerer starts with the error message to search for a
solution to the problem. It closes by itself after a while. During this
error message you can do nothing except to close the message box - and
explorer in the process.

Herman Kellerman wrote:

> The problem is that one cannot start anything from the desktop or the
> Start button. Before you can select anything, explorer closes down, the
> screen goes blank, and then exploerer starts with the error message to
> search for a
> solution to the problem. It closes by itself after a while. During this
> error message you can do nothing except to close the message box - and
> explorer in the process.

And the answer to this is?
>> In addition, answer The First Question of Troubleshooting: what changed
>> between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

1. Does the problem occur in Safe Mode?
2. What is the virus/malware-status of the machine? If you think it is
clean, what antivirus/security programs did you use to determine this?
3. Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?
4. What troubleshooting steps have you already tried?
5. Give some information about your computer and its recent history.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Herman Kellerman

Re: VISTA EXPLORER RESTART AUTOMATICALLY
1. Yes it occur in safe mode as well.
2. I could manage to run anti-spyware and anti-virus software with no errors.
3. I've tried Last Good Known Configuration as well as Vista Repair.
4. I've deleted all cookies and explorer histories.
5. Cannot get into the recycle bin to clean it!
6. It is the first time that this appear - PC is about 6 months old.
I think of do a clean re-boot - normally it is as good as cleaning out your
garage from time to time!

Herman Kellerman wrote:

> 1. Yes it occur in safe mode as well.
> 2. I could manage to run anti-spyware and anti-virus software with no
> errors.
> 3. I've tried Last Good Known Configuration as well as Vista Repair.
> 4. I've deleted all cookies and explorer histories.
> 5. Cannot get into the recycle bin to clean it!
> 6. It is the first time that this appear - PC is about 6 months old.
> I think of do a clean re-boot - normally it is as good as cleaning out
> your garage from time to time!

It is not normally necessary to reinstall Windows if you regularly maintain
your system. Of course, in your situation you may not have a choice. You
still haven't answered my questions thoroughly - for instance just saying
you've run "anti-spyware and anti-virus software" without telling me which
ones doesn't really prove your computer is clean. However, let's assume it
is and since we could go back and forth all day with me asking for details
and you giving a tiny bit of what's necessary and that's unattractive to
me, try this instead:

From MVP Rick Rogers (done while explorer.exe can't run):

The shell entry may be damaged in the registry. From Task Manager, click
'new task' on the applications tab. Type regedit and click ok. Agree to the
UAC prompt, then expand the branches to reach this one:

Click on the Winlogon key, then on the right find the "shell" string. Double
click it, change the value data to read "explorer.exe" (without the quotes)
and click ok. Then close the registry editor and restart the system by
entering another new task as 'shutdown /r'.

Malke