UAC Conflict With Explorer

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Doo

UAC Conflict With Explorer

Unlike a lot of people I actually don't mind the UAC running in the
background.
BUT...
When I boot up my machine I get UAC prompting me to allow Explorer to
run and the controls for my graphics card.
Is there a way to permanently allow these programs to run? In other
words, can you set up allowances for individual programs?

Cheers,
Ian

--
Doo

-asus t3-p5g065-
-asus drw-1814blt-
-intel q6600
geforce 8600gt
4gb 800mhz ram (2x2gb)
maxtor sata 500gb udma 300-
Charlie42

Re: UAC Conflict With Explorer
"Doo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

> Unlike a lot of people I actually don't mind the UAC running in the
> background.
> BUT...
> When I boot up my machine I get UAC prompting me to allow Explorer
> to run and the controls for my graphics card.
> Is there a way to permanently allow these programs to run? In other
> words, can you set up allowances for individual programs?

Not really, but there is a workaround utilising the Application
Compatibility Toolkit that may work for you.

How to disable the UAC prompt for a certain application only:
http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archi...tion-only.html

Download App Compatibility Toolkit 5.0:

Charlie42

Robert Moir

"Doo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Unlike a lot of people I actually don't mind the UAC running in the
> background.
> BUT...
> When I boot up my machine I get UAC prompting me to allow Explorer to
> run and the controls for my graphics card.
> Is there a way to permanently allow these programs to run? In other
> words, can you set up allowances for individual programs?

Well in the first case this wouldn't happen by default, which suggetss that
what is actually being objected to is something that has 'extended'
explorer. I'd suggest treating the disease rather than the symptom by
tracking down what exactly is happening and either stopping it from running
or obtaining an update.

Actually, I'd suggest much the same approach for the graphics card stuff.
Have you by chance done an upgrade from Windows XP? I found similar errors
on a test machine where the old XP drivers for an ATI graphics card still
had a driver component listed to start that wasn't required any more. I'd
suspect something like that because while all the graphics card makers have
had their fair share of stunning incompetence, they're all on the ball
enough to notice something like that and nail it down with their updated
drivers by now.

Jesper

Re: UAC Conflict With Explorer
These prompts are actually caused by a flawed graphics card driver suite. It
launches some program on startup (logon actually) which requires elevated
permissions. This should not happen.

The best way to handle this is to see if the manufacturer of the graphics
card has a Vista compatible driver. This one, by definition, is not, since
the definition of Vista compliant is that it does not launch elevated
applications on logon.

You can use the Application Compatibility Toolkit, as Charlie suggested, to
change the application to not elevate. However, if the application actually
needs elevated permissions, doing so will break it. The toolkit cannot
configure an application to launch elevated without a prompt.

If you cannot find a Vista compliant driver for it you can get rid of the
prompt, if you are willing to lose the functionality of the application. More
than likely, it just puts a tray icon or something on your computer, and it
is not critical to the functioning of the video card. In addition, if that
application is so poorly written that it thinks it needs to run elevated, it
is likely to create a channel that can be exploited by malware.

To disable the application, do the following:
1. Click the Window button
2. In the search box, type msconfig and hit enter
3. Accept the elevation prompt
4. Go to the Startup tab
5. Find the Startup Item corresponding to the application. Not knowing what
video card you have I don't know what it might be called. It should have the
video card manufacturer in the "Manufacturer" column though.
6. Uncheck its box
7. Click OK
8. Reboot and log on. If the prompt went away you disabled the right
application. If not, repeat the steps and try a different application.

---

"Robert Moir" wrote:

> "Doo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Unlike a lot of people I actually don't mind the UAC running in the
> > background.
> > BUT...
> > When I boot up my machine I get UAC prompting me to allow Explorer to
> > run and the controls for my graphics card.
> > Is there a way to permanently allow these programs to run? In other
> > words, can you set up allowances for individual programs?

> Well in the first case this wouldn't happen by default, which suggetss that
> what is actually being objected to is something that has 'extended'
> explorer. I'd suggest treating the disease rather than the symptom by
> tracking down what exactly is happening and either stopping it from running
> or obtaining an update.
>
> Actually, I'd suggest much the same approach for the graphics card stuff.
> Have you by chance done an upgrade from Windows XP? I found similar errors
> on a test machine where the old XP drivers for an ATI graphics card still
> had a driver component listed to start that wasn't required any more. I'd
> suspect something like that because while all the graphics card makers have
> had their fair share of stunning incompetence, they're all on the ball
> enough to notice something like that and nail it down with their updated
> drivers by now.

Robert Moir

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> These prompts are actually caused by a flawed graphics card driver suite.
> It
> launches some program on startup (logon actually) which requires elevated
> permissions. This should not happen.

Yep. I've seen this exact same issue with an upgrade XP --> Vista recently
on a testbed. I just can't remember the name of the damn app that was
causing it - in this case upgrading to vista compatible drivers didn't tidy
this app out, it was still left behind and running, which I thought was nice
of ATI.

"Robert Moir" <usenet@REMOVE2EMAILrobertmoir.com> wrote:

> I just can't remember the name of the damn app that was causing it - in
> this case upgrading to vista compatible drivers didn't tidy this app out,
> it
> was still left behind and running, which I thought was nice of ATI.

Was it ATI External Event? In early versions of the Catalyst software, this
service had a habit of crashing on Vista computers, and sometimes cause
further problems.

Charlie42

Robert Moir

"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message
> "Robert Moir" <usenet@REMOVE2EMAILrobertmoir.com> wrote:
>
>> I just can't remember the name of the damn app that was causing it - in
>> this case upgrading to vista compatible drivers didn't tidy this app out,
>> it
>> was still left behind and running, which I thought was nice of ATI.

> Was it ATI External Event? In early versions of the Catalyst software,
> this service had a habit of crashing on Vista computers, and sometimes
> cause further problems.

Oooh no. It was something that exists and is used in the XP drivers but not
in the Vista ones. Also, I went from latest XP drivers to latest vista. I'd
know it if I saw it again but I kinda forgot about it when it stopped being
a problem.

Doo

Re: UAC Conflict With Explorer

i went through "msconfig" and turned of the graphics' control panel.
I'll need to look further into the cause of the conflict. I've never had
XP on this machine as it was a fresh build.
I did however use the disc which came with the graphics card to install
the drivers needed to run it. I've since updated many times from the
nvidia website.
graphics card is NVIDIA 8600GT.

As for the other, The source file requesting permission is;
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\updater\explorer
Anybody got any ideas why this prompt is coming up? It didn't always.
I'm not even sure whether or not it was appearing before I updated to
SP1.

--
Doo

-asus t3-p5g065-
-asus drw-1814blt-
-intel q6600
geforce 8600gt
4gb 800mhz ram (2x2gb)
maxtor sata 500gb udma 300-
Charlie42

Re: UAC Conflict With Explorer
"Doo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

> As for the other, The source file requesting permission is;
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\updater\explorer
> Anybody got any ideas why this prompt is coming up? It didn't always.
> I'm not even sure whether or not it was appearing before I updated to
> SP1.

Do you have 32- or 64-bit Vista? Afaik, this folder only exists on 64-bit
systems, where it stores 32-bit files for compatibility. The problem could
be related to this.

Charlie42

Doo

Re: UAC Conflict With Explorer