Bitlocker and System Drive Failure

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Quilnux

Bitlocker and System Drive Failure
Afternoon/evening. I am getting ready to implement bitlocker on both my
system drive and 2 other volumes. I have a concern before continuing.

In the event that I would ever have a hard drive failure (hopefully not for
a very long time) and I had to reload the OS on a new hard drive, would there
be a way for me to recover the data from the other 2 volumes on the other
physical drive once the OS is up and running? The reason I ask is that I have
backups on the secondary hard drive that I plan to encrypt along with the
system drive and I want to be sure that in a hard drive failure that I will
be able to get access to the backups from a new installation of Vista.
Steve Riley [MSFT]

Re: Bitlocker and System Drive Failure
BitLocker allows you to configure a recovery password for this scenario.
Search our website for "Data encryption toolkit" for guidance. Also, if you
have Ultimate and you've installed the Ultimate Extras, you can use the
online key backup to keep a copy of your recovery password in a digital
locker stored at Microsoft. See KB 932926 for more details.

--
Steve Riley
steve.riley@microsoft.com

"Quilnux" <Quilnux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Afternoon/evening. I am getting ready to implement bitlocker on both my
> system drive and 2 other volumes. I have a concern before continuing.
>
> In the event that I would ever have a hard drive failure (hopefully not
> for
> a very long time) and I had to reload the OS on a new hard drive, would
> there
> be a way for me to recover the data from the other 2 volumes on the other
> physical drive once the OS is up and running? The reason I ask is that I
> have
> backups on the secondary hard drive that I plan to encrypt along with the
> system drive and I want to be sure that in a hard drive failure that I
> will
> be able to get access to the backups from a new installation of Vista.

Quilnux

Re: Bitlocker and System Drive Failure
Awesome stuff! Thanks for your help! Have a great week.