Windows Update Won't Display Text

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

panicaddiction is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Update Won't Display Text
I just upgraded my laptop from XP to Vista to find that every time I open Windows Update. I get the images, but no text, and none of the buttons work either. Anything that is Windows Update related behaves like this. My laptop is clean of all viruses and such, so I don't know what it would be. I've restarted my laptop a few times and the same thing keeps happening. Here's some screenshots on what I'm talking about...

panicaddiction is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!

I installed Service Pack 1 and it seemed to fix it!
C.B.

Re: Windows Update Won't Display Text

"panicaddiction" <panicaddiction.386asd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
in message newsanicaddiction.386asd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I just upgraded my laptop from XP to Vista to find that every time I
> open Windows Update. I get the images, but no text, and none of the
> buttons work either. Anything that is Windows Update related behaves
> like this. My laptop is clean of all viruses and such, so I don't know
> what it would be. I've restarted my laptop a few times and the same
> thing keeps happening. Here's some screenshots on what I'm talking
> about...
>
> [image: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/bjk91/1-1.jpg]
>
> [image: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/bjk91/2-1.jpg]
>
> [image: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/bjk91/3-1.jpg]
>

> --
> panicaddiction

I've tried to find an answer to your problem but I haven't had any
luck. The only thing I've been able to determine is that this has been
happening to others for a very long time and it involves the wu files.
Some people have overcome the problem by restoring to a date prior to
the problem but this does not seem to be an option for you. Others have
overcome the problem by reinstalling the OS.
Please see the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...379&sloc=en-us

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update Won't Display Text
Some have found this remedies the issue, too:

Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
responding
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

YMMV

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

C.B. wrote:

> "panicaddiction" <panicaddiction.386asd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com>
> wrote in message newsanicaddiction.386asd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>

>> I just upgraded my laptop from XP to Vista to find that every time I
>> open Windows Update. I get the images, but no text, and none of the
>> buttons work either. Anything that is Windows Update related behaves
>> like this. My laptop is clean of all viruses and such, so I don't know
>> what it would be. I've restarted my laptop a few times and the same
>> thing keeps happening. Here's some screenshots on what I'm talking
>> about...
>>
>> [image: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/bjk91/1-1.jpg]
>>
>> [image: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/bjk91/2-1.jpg]
>>
>> [image: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/bjk91/3-1.jpg]
>>

>> --
>> panicaddiction
>>

> I've tried to find an answer to your problem but I haven't had any
> luck. The only thing I've been able to determine is that this has been
> happening to others for a very long time and it involves the wu files.
> Some people have overcome the problem by restoring to a date prior
> to the problem but this does not seem to be an option for you. Others
> have overcome the problem by reinstalling the OS.
> Please see the link below:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...379&sloc=en-us
>

> C.B.

kcentric is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Update Won't Display Text
Check to make sure the Segoe UI font was not deleted by accident. This is usually the culprit for Vista and newer Windows Update menus not displaying text.