Avast antivirus..help!!!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Gui..

Avast antivirus..help!!!
hi u guys!!

huuhh first of all my windows isnt vista,is't XP,but i didnt find the right
community for it so i decided to post here..if somebody knows,please answer
me,it's important for me and my pc...READ IT I IMPLORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
today i was seeing some photos on google images..everyone know that on
google the images are little,then we gotta click the photos to enlarge them...
well i clicked one and as usual,under the image that appears,there's the
site where it came from..when the page loaded,the following message appeared:
"welcome to..." (i forgot the name of the site)
so i just clicked ok...right after,avast antivirus found a virus...and on
the message shown was telling me to desconnect...well i clicked 'desconnect'
and then i closed the web page....i ran the antivirus on my pc and avast
found no more viruses,but i don't know if the virus is outta my pc..
what does the command 'desconnect' mean on the avast message???
Mick Murphy

RE: Avast antivirus..help!!!
Go to www.avast.com and read their FAQs.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Gui.." wrote:

> hi u guys!!
>
> huuhh first of all my windows isnt vista,is't XP,but i didnt find the right
> community for it so i decided to post here..if somebody knows,please answer
> me,it's important for me and my pc...READ IT I IMPLORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> today i was seeing some photos on google images..everyone know that on
> google the images are little,then we gotta click the photos to enlarge them...
> well i clicked one and as usual,under the image that appears,there's the
> site where it came from..when the page loaded,the following message appeared:
> "welcome to..." (i forgot the name of the site)
> so i just clicked ok...right after,avast antivirus found a virus...and on
> the message shown was telling me to desconnect...well i clicked 'desconnect'
> and then i closed the web page....i ran the antivirus on my pc and avast
> found no more viruses,but i don't know if the virus is outta my pc..
> what does the command 'desconnect' mean on the avast message???

C.B.

Re: Avast antivirus..help!!!

"Gui.." <Gui@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi u guys!!
>
> huuhh first of all my windows isnt vista,is't XP,but i didnt find the
> right
> community for it so i decided to post here..if somebody knows,please
> answer
> me,it's important for me and my pc...READ IT I IMPLORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> today i was seeing some photos on google images..everyone know that on
> google the images are little,then we gotta click the photos to enlarge
> them...
> well i clicked one and as usual,under the image that appears,there's the
> site where it came from..when the page loaded,the following message
> appeared:
> "welcome to..." (i forgot the name of the site)
> so i just clicked ok...right after,avast antivirus found a virus...and on
> the message shown was telling me to desconnect...well i clicked
> 'desconnect'
> and then i closed the web page....i ran the antivirus on my pc and avast
> found no more viruses,but i don't know if the virus is outta my pc..
> what does the command 'desconnect' mean on the avast message???

It was telling you to disconnect from the website. You need to
reconsider your websurfing habits before you get infected to the point of
hosing your system.
Google websites, MySpace, YouTube, Facebook, eBay and many other sites
are full of links that take you to websites harboring malware. There is
nothing wrong with the websites listed above but be careful of where the
links take you.
You should rescan your system in Safe Mode. You can also use the tool
listed in the link below:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/

Be careful when visiting any websites that advertise "free
screensavers", "free emoticons", "free virus scans", etc, etc, etc. Until
you learn how to safely surf the web you might want to download and install
the McAfee Site Advisor found at the link below:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ie.html

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

FromTheRafters

Re: Avast antivirus..help!!!

"Gui.." <Gui@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi u guys!!
>
> huuhh first of all my windows isnt vista,is't XP,but i didnt find the
> right
> community for it so i decided to post here..if somebody knows,please
> answer
> me,it's important for me and my pc...READ IT I IMPLORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm reading it.

> today i was seeing some photos on google images..everyone know that on
> google the images are little,then we gotta click the photos to enlarge
> them...
> well i clicked one and as usual,under the image that appears,there's the
> site where it came from..when the page loaded,the following message
> appeared:
> "welcome to..." (i forgot the name of the site)

You went to some unknown website - I'm with you so far.

> so i just clicked ok...right after,avast antivirus found a virus...and on
> the message shown was telling me to desconnect...well i clicked
> 'desconnect'
> and then i closed the web page....i ran the antivirus on my pc and avast
> found no more viruses,but i don't know if the virus is outta my pc..

It sounds to me like Avast! prevented the downloading of
some unknown so-called virus from some unknown site.

> what does the command 'desconnect' mean on the avast message???

You didn't give the content of the AV alert message, but I
assume it was "disconnect" which could mean pull the cable/
phone line or otherwise disable the network.

As to whether it is gone or not - there's no way to tell for
sure. You may be able to go the the Avast! log file to find
out what malware was encountered, and from there find
out how complicated removal is for that malware.