Security Center Reporting No Antu-Virus Software

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

JamesJ

Security Center Reporting No Antu-Virus Software
I just installed and-virus and firewall software but Vista Security Center
reports no anti-virus software installed. The anti-virus software reports
all is well.
Also before installing this I turned off Windows Firewall but still noticed
that Vista is reporting Windows Defender running and active.
I thought Defender is the firewall. I must be mistaken.

Thanks,
James
Charlie42

Re: Security Center Reporting No Antu-Virus Software
"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote:

>I just installed and-virus and firewall software but Vista Security Center
> reports no anti-virus software installed. The anti-virus software reports
> all is well.

There are two general approaches that may fix your problem. All of the
commands are typed in manually at a command prompt (Accessories menu). Run
as administrator.

Method 1:
winmgmt /verifyrepository

If WMI repository is reported to be inconcistent, run this command:
winmgmt /salvagerepository

Method 2 (force repository rebuild):
net stop winmgmt /y
cd %windir%\system32\wbem\
ren repository repository.old

Then restart

> Also before installing this I turned off Windows Firewall but still
> noticed
> that Vista is reporting Windows Defender running and active.
> I thought Defender is the firewall. I must be mistaken.

Windows Defender is Vista's anti-spyware program, not a firewall. Keep it
running, unless you experience any conflicts with your security suite (not
likely).

Charlie42

JamesJ

Re: Security Center Reporting No Antu-Virus Software
Didn't work
The repository was consistent

"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
>>I just installed and-virus and firewall software but Vista Security Center
>> reports no anti-virus software installed. The anti-virus software reports
>> all is well.

> There are two general approaches that may fix your problem. All of the
> commands are typed in manually at a command prompt (Accessories menu). Run
> as administrator.
>
> Method 1:
> winmgmt /verifyrepository
>
> If WMI repository is reported to be inconcistent, run this command:
> winmgmt /salvagerepository
>
> Method 2 (force repository rebuild):
> net stop winmgmt /y
> cd %windir%\system32\wbem\
> ren repository repository.old
>
> Then restart
>
>> Also before installing this I turned off Windows Firewall but still
>> noticed
>> that Vista is reporting Windows Defender running and active.
>> I thought Defender is the firewall. I must be mistaken.

> Windows Defender is Vista's anti-spyware program, not a firewall. Keep it
> running, unless you experience any conflicts with your security suite (not
> likely).
>
> Charlie42

JamesJ

Re: Security Center Reporting No Antu-Virus Software
Found out it must have been the Anti-Virus/Firewall software I installed.
No other software caused this situation.
After uninstalling it and installing other software Vista recognizes it as
the Anti-Virus software. Also cleared up the problem with this software's
executable's
problem with it's icon in the start menu.

Thanks for the assistance,
James

"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
>>I just installed and-virus and firewall software but Vista Security Center
>> reports no anti-virus software installed. The anti-virus software reports
>> all is well.

> There are two general approaches that may fix your problem. All of the
> commands are typed in manually at a command prompt (Accessories menu). Run
> as administrator.
>
> Method 1:
> winmgmt /verifyrepository
>
> If WMI repository is reported to be inconcistent, run this command:
> winmgmt /salvagerepository
>
> Method 2 (force repository rebuild):
> net stop winmgmt /y
> cd %windir%\system32\wbem\
> ren repository repository.old
>
> Then restart
>
>> Also before installing this I turned off Windows Firewall but still
>> noticed
>> that Vista is reporting Windows Defender running and active.
>> I thought Defender is the firewall. I must be mistaken.

> Windows Defender is Vista's anti-spyware program, not a firewall. Keep it
> running, unless you experience any conflicts with your security suite (not
> likely).
>
> Charlie42

Charlie42

Re: Security Center Reporting No Antu-Virus Software
"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Found out it must have been the Anti-Virus/Firewall software I installed.
> No other software caused this situation.
> After uninstalling it and installing other software Vista recognizes it as
> the Anti-Virus software. Also cleared up the problem with this software's
> executable's problem with it's icon in the start menu.

I am glad to hear you got things worked out. All the renowned security
softwares show up in Security Center, I would be sceptical of AV and FW
manufacturers that do not integrate their software properly with Windows.

Charlie42

Fred

Re: Security Center Reporting No Antu-Virus Software
Great point, and glad to hear you got your problem resolved.

Fred Reckling
Microsoft Security Outreach Team
http://www.microsoft.com/hellosecureworld/level7

Rosie

Re: Security Center Reporting No Antu-Virus Software

I have the same problem, Each time I start my computer windows security
center reports that it did not find my anti virus. I have MacAfee which was
bought with the computer and I do not want to buy another antivirus.
Especially as MacAfee is listed as one of the partners? Any ideas?

Thanks

Rosie

"Rosie" <Rosie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have the same problem, Each time I start my computer windows
> security center reports that it did not find my anti virus. I have
> MacAfee which was bought with the computer and I do not want to
> buy another antivirus. Especially as MacAfee is listed as one of the
> partners? Any ideas?

Scan your WMI repository for inconsistencies, and correct them:

Open up a command prompt as administrator (Accessories menu > right-click >
Run as Admin). At the prompt, type:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

Alternatively, you can force a rebuild of the repository. At the command
prompt, type:

net stop winmgmt /y
cd %windir%\system32\wbem\
ren repository repository.old

Then reboot.

Charlie42

Choonster

Re: Security Center Reporting No Antu-Virus Software
I've got the same problem as Rosie, but your solution didn't work for me

"Choonster" <Choonster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I've got the same problem as Rosie, but your solution didn't work
> for me

Did you try to force a rebuild, rebooting afterwards?

If it does not work, I would suggest uninstalling McAfee, force the rebuild,
then reinstall the anti-virus.

Charlie42