windows security center

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

sabriel

windows security center
hi, can any one help plzzzz.. the icon keeps coming up at the center is
turned off and i cant seem to put it back on..the firewall and defender seems
to be on and the updates but it says the security centre cant not be started.
can anyone tell me how to switch it on :S...thx sab
Malke

Re: windows security center
sabriel wrote:

> hi, can any one help plzzzz.. the icon keeps coming up at the center is
> turned off and i cant seem to put it back on..the firewall and defender
> seems to be on and the updates but it says the security centre cant not be
> started. can anyone tell me how to switch it on :S...thx sab

What antivirus program do you have installed? Many antivirus and security
programs have their own version of a "Security Center" that take over for
the one built into Vista/XP. If this is your case, then the behavior you
are seeing is by design.

If this isn't the case, your computer is probably infected.

There is no way for us to know which it is from what you've written, so
please supply the missing details to get more help.

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time things
worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Brink

Re: windows security center

Malke;687934 Wrote:
> sabriel wrote:
> > > >
> > > hi, can any one help plzzzz.. the icon keeps coming up at the center

> > is
> > > turned off and i cant seem to put it back on..the firewall and

> > defender
> > > seems to be on and the updates but it says the security centre cant

> > not be
> > > started. can anyone tell me how to switch it on :S...thx sab > >

> What antivirus program do you have installed? Many antivirus and
> security
> programs have their own version of a "Security Center" that take over
> for
> the one built into Vista/XP. If this is your case, then the behavior
> you
> are seeing is by design.
>
> If this isn't the case, your computer is probably infected.
>
> There is no way for us to know which it is from what you've written,
> so
> please supply the missing details to get more help.
>
> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
> things
> worked and the time they didn't?
>
> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
> malware/virus
> status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
> versions) did you use to determine this?
>
> Be sure the computer is clean:
> 'page2'
> (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware)
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com)
> Don't Panic!

Hi Sabriel,

In addition to Malke's post, check to see if the "Security Center"
service is "Started" and set to "Automatic". This tutorial will show you
how to if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ty-center.html

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
sabriel

Re: windows security center
hi ..thx for the reply malke...i have nod32..antivirus and i am using the
windows defender..everything was working fine, untill i had an update for nod
and downloaded it but the signature would not update so i took it off and put
my original nod back on..when i scanned it said i had a severe back door
trojan virus but i deleted it..is it poss the virus still on pc?..usually
when i use nod32 the windows security has always worked fine.
thx sab

"Malke" wrote:

> sabriel wrote:
>
> > hi, can any one help plzzzz.. the icon keeps coming up at the center is
> > turned off and i cant seem to put it back on..the firewall and defender
> > seems to be on and the updates but it says the security centre cant not be
> > started. can anyone tell me how to switch it on :S...thx sab

> What antivirus program do you have installed? Many antivirus and security
> programs have their own version of a "Security Center" that take over for
> the one built into Vista/XP. If this is your case, then the behavior you
> are seeing is by design.
>
> If this isn't the case, your computer is probably infected.
>
> There is no way for us to know which it is from what you've written, so
> please supply the missing details to get more help.
>
> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time things
> worked and the time they didn't?
>
> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
> status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
> versions) did you use to determine this?
>
> Be sure the computer is clean:
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

sabriel

Re: windows security center

hi brink..thx for the reply..it worked i really thought i had a bad virus
as i just got rid of one..well hopefully.
thx again sab
"Brink" wrote:

> Malke;687934 Wrote:

> > > is
> > > defender
> > > not be

> > What antivirus program do you have installed? Many antivirus and
> > security
> > programs have their own version of a "Security Center" that take over
> > for
> > the one built into Vista/XP. If this is your case, then the behavior
> > you
> > are seeing is by design.
> >
> > If this isn't the case, your computer is probably infected.
> >
> > There is no way for us to know which it is from what you've written,
> > so
> > please supply the missing details to get more help.
> >
> > The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
> > things
> > worked and the time they didn't?
> >
> > The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
> > malware/virus
> > status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
> > versions) did you use to determine this?
> >
> > Be sure the computer is clean:
> > 'page2'
> > (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware)
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > MS-MVP
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com)
> > Don't Panic!

> Hi Sabriel,
>
> In addition to Malke's post, check to see if the "Security Center"
> service is "Started" and set to "Automatic". This tutorial will show you
> how to if needed.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ty-center.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

Brink

Re: windows security center

sabriel;688156 Wrote:
> hi brink..thx for the reply..it worked i really thought i had a bad
> virus
> as i just got rid of one..well hopefully.
> thx again sab
> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > Malke;687934 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Sabriel,
> > >
> > > In addition to Malke's post, check to see if the "Security Center"
> > > service is "Started" and set to "Automatic". This tutorial will show

> > you
> > > how to if needed.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ty-center.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

Your welcome Sabriel. I hope you got it to. You might run another
thorough virus scan just to be safe.

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Chikhar

Re: windows security center
Hi Brink,

I was having the same exact problem Sabriel was having for a very long time.
I truly thank Sabriel for having the same problem (unfortunately) and
helping to fix the both of ours. It is working it done. Again thanks a 2mil

"Brink" wrote:

> Malke;687934 Wrote:

> > > is
> > > defender
> > > not be

> > What antivirus program do you have installed? Many antivirus and
> > security
> > programs have their own version of a "Security Center" that take over
> > for
> > the one built into Vista/XP. If this is your case, then the behavior
> > you
> > are seeing is by design.
> >
> > If this isn't the case, your computer is probably infected.
> >
> > There is no way for us to know which it is from what you've written,
> > so
> > please supply the missing details to get more help.
> >
> > The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
> > things
> > worked and the time they didn't?
> >
> > The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
> > malware/virus
> > status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
> > versions) did you use to determine this?
> >
> > Be sure the computer is clean:
> > 'page2'
> > (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware)
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > MS-MVP
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com)
> > Don't Panic!

> Hi Sabriel,
>
> In addition to Malke's post, check to see if the "Security Center"
> service is "Started" and set to "Automatic". This tutorial will show you
> how to if needed.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ty-center.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

Brink

Re: windows security center

You're most welcome Chikhar.

Chikhar;1174713 Wrote:
> Hi Brink,
>
> I was having the same exact problem Sabriel was having for a very long
> time.
> I truly thank Sabriel for having the same problem (unfortunately) and
> helping to fix the both of ours. It is working it done. Again thanks a
> 2mil

> > > over
> > > behavior

> > > written,

> > > time

> > > (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware))

> > > Hi Sabriel,
> > >
> > > In addition to Malke's post, check to see if the "Security

> > Center"
> > > service is "Started" and set to "Automatic". This tutorial will

> > show you
> > > how to if needed.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ty-center.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

--