Security Alert MS07-042

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

denmarfl

Security Alert MS07-042
My Virus Software has a feature were several times a week it odes a Microsoft
Security Check on my PC. Today was the 1st time I have seen this Security
Check display a problem. it displayed HIGH Alert.....and showed Microsoft
article MS07-042.

I have spend over 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft's Tech unit.....and I
am no better off then when I started.

Yesterday I did 2 things, with the assistance of other Microsoft Tech
Agents...

1) I kept getting the XML Core Update KB936181 installed on my PC
repeativly....1 time in 11/07. 11 times in the past 7 days, and, it was
showing up in Windows Update as available to download...again. The Microsoft
agent instructed me to; check Program & Features to see if KB936181 was shown
in the list, it was. He then instructed me to Uncheck this Update in Windows
Update, right click on it, and click HIDE. I was told that would prevent
this update from installing again. The Tech said the problem might be with
Microsofts server.......

2) I updated to Vista Home Prem SP1.....the Install went fine. The Tech did
advise me to TURN-Off my Anti-Virus when downloading and Installing the SP1
Update.

Now after perfroming these 2 items, today I get the Security
Alert.....MS07-042. This article outlines a possible vulnerability issue.....

After spending over 3 hours on the phone with several different Microsoft
tech agents....the contact was ended with, if you are not experiencing any
issues with your Microsoft Software, or how your PC is running......let this
go for a week and see if anything takes Place. Can you believe that advice?

I might add, 1 Microsoft tech recommended I uninstall\Re-install my Virus
Software, another one recommended I uninstall and re-install Microsoft
Office....

It nice that Microsoft offers this free Tech support for issues such as
this, but when you spend over 3 hours, with several different Agents, each
one providing different advice....how can you have any confidence these
agents really are the..experts.

In summary, I am getting a Security Alert....MS07-042 by my Virus
Software....it certainly seems to me I need to take some action(s) to correct
this......but have no idea how to do that, and, Microsoft tech doesn't seem
to know how either.......

Comments\Suggestions......thanks
Bob

Re: Security Alert MS07-042
Failed Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8531&SiteID=17

"denmarfl" <denmarfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Virus Software has a feature were several times a week it odes a
> Microsoft
> Security Check on my PC. Today was the 1st time I have seen this Security
> Check display a problem. it displayed HIGH Alert.....and showed Microsoft
> article MS07-042.
>
> I have spend over 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft's Tech unit.....and
> am no better off then when I started.
>
> Yesterday I did 2 things, with the assistance of other Microsoft Tech
> Agents...
>
> 1) I kept getting the XML Core Update KB936181 installed on my PC
> repeativly....1 time in 11/07. 11 times in the past 7 days, and, it was
> showing up in Windows Update as available to download...again. The
> Microsoft
> agent instructed me to; check Program & Features to see if KB936181 was
> shown
> in the list, it was. He then instructed me to Uncheck this Update in
> Windows
> Update, right click on it, and click HIDE. I was told that would prevent
> this update from installing again. The Tech said the problem might be
> with
> Microsofts server.......
>
> 2) I updated to Vista Home Prem SP1.....the Install went fine. The Tech
> did
> advise me to TURN-Off my Anti-Virus when downloading and Installing the
> SP1
> Update.
>
> Now after perfroming these 2 items, today I get the Security
> Alert.....MS07-042. This article outlines a possible vulnerability
> issue.....
>
> After spending over 3 hours on the phone with several different Microsoft
> tech agents....the contact was ended with, if you are not experiencing any
> issues with your Microsoft Software, or how your PC is running......let
> this
> go for a week and see if anything takes Place. Can you believe that
> advice?
>
> I might add, 1 Microsoft tech recommended I uninstall\Re-install my Virus
> Software, another one recommended I uninstall and re-install Microsoft
> Office....
>
> It nice that Microsoft offers this free Tech support for issues such as
> this, but when you spend over 3 hours, with several different Agents, each
> one providing different advice....how can you have any confidence these
> agents really are the..experts.
>
> In summary, I am getting a Security Alert....MS07-042 by my Virus
> Software....it certainly seems to me I need to take some action(s) to
> correct
> this......but have no idea how to do that, and, Microsoft tech doesn't
> seem
> to know how either.......
>
> Comments\Suggestions......thanks

denmarfl

Re: Security Alert MS07-042
I downloaded the msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe tool, after fnally realizing it
would only run if I clicked on "RAN as Administrator"......it ran giving 3
options, Modify, Repair and Remove. Users reported using these tool wrote
they used removed, rebooted...and ran it again to re-install this Program.
If you ran this tool and it deleted the Update, why run it again to Install
it?.

Then they wrote "I then ran the Windows Update file for "Security Update for
Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2". I am thinking that means
they simply ran Windows Update and it showed the Security Update as available
to Install (since it was deleted using the tool)...Correct?

I have also read at this same site some users have deleted all XML Core
Services Updates......and ran the KB936181....as it is a full up todate XML
packages .....(meaning it contains prior XML Updates so you end up with 1
update as opposed to several...comments?