Blocking executables from certain drives/paths.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

aptgetmoo

Blocking executables from certain drives/paths.
Hello.
I've just bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed. I used to
create policies on my old laptop(XP Pro) using gpedit.msc to block all *.exe
files from running except of those in C: partition(my Windows partition). I
did this to prevent me(or whoever using my laptop) from accidentally run
viruses from usb drives, well there is no need for me to run *.exe files from
there anywhere. Well since there is no gpedit.msc in Vista Home Premium, how
do I do this from the registry?
kentsyl

RE: Blocking executables from certain drives/paths.
Put a folder on your USB drive lable it "AUTORUN.INF", then put a note pad
file inside and write whatever you want on it, also save it as "AUTORUN.INF"
open properties on both check read only and hidden. This should keep most
viruses and worms from installing on the USB drive to start with, but if one
dose it won't be able to install a autorun file because one will allready be
there. Regular virus scans of the USB drives is also a good idea, and you
shouldn't ever double click a *.exe file without a virus scan first.

"aptgetmoo" wrote:

> Hello.
> I've just bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed. I used to
> create policies on my old laptop(XP Pro) using gpedit.msc to block all *.exe
> files from running except of those in C: partition(my Windows partition). I
> did this to prevent me(or whoever using my laptop) from accidentally run
> viruses from usb drives, well there is no need for me to run *.exe files from
> there anywhere. Well since there is no gpedit.msc in Vista Home Premium, how
> do I do this from the registry?

aptgetmoo

RE: Blocking executables from certain drives/paths.
Thanks for your reply. Actually I have done that before and it did not work,
a virus could over write the file even though it is read only. And what I
wanted to do is creating a policy that will block all *.exe from running from
my usb drives and cdrom drive. Virus scanning is a good tip but some viruses
are not known to the virus scanner. Anyway, like what I've said, I don't want
to run any *.exe file from my usb drives. Hope anyone can point me on
creating apolicy through the regedit