WMPNetworkSvc & WinDefend Services fail to start

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Mike

WMPNetworkSvc & WinDefend Services fail to start
I get an error when I boot saying that WinDefend won't load. I checked the
logs and found that both WinDefend and WMPNetworkSvc both fail to start,
errors below:

WinDefend won't start: Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified
WMPNetworkSvc: Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified

Not sure if it's related, but my Security log has several Event 5038 errors:

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\drivers\t cpip.sys

Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The
file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash
could indicate a potential disk device error.

I'm NOT using OneCare.

Any thoughts on how to approach this one?

Thanks!

William Anderson

RE: WMPNetworkSvc & WinDefend Services fail to start
Hey there Mike,

Have you installed SP1 yet? If so, have you tried a rollback? I'm reading
on Neowin that it seemed to do the trick for some people.

"Mike" wrote:

> I get an error when I boot saying that WinDefend won't load. I checked the
> logs and found that both WinDefend and WMPNetworkSvc both fail to start,
> errors below:
>
> WinDefend won't start: Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified
> WMPNetworkSvc: Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified
>
> Not sure if it's related, but my Security log has several Event 5038 errors:
>
> File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\drivers\t cpip.sys
>
> Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The
> file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash
> could indicate a potential disk device error.
>
> I'm NOT using OneCare.
>
> Any thoughts on how to approach this one?
>
> Thanks!

Engel

RE: WMPNetworkSvc & WinDefend Services fail to start
Hello Mike,

I quote dean – dean --a regular contributor here:

You might try this.

Go to the main Windows Update window and
click on "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the
bottom), and then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).

Reboot. Reboot again. (2)

update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.

This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.
--

"Mike" wrote:

> I get an error when I boot saying that WinDefend won't load. I checked the
> logs and found that both WinDefend and WMPNetworkSvc both fail to start,
> errors below:
>
> WinDefend won't start: Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified
> WMPNetworkSvc: Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified
>
> Not sure if it's related, but my Security log has several Event 5038 errors:
>
> File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\drivers\t cpip.sys
>
> Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The
> file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash
> could indicate a potential disk device error.
>
> I'm NOT using OneCare.
>
> Any thoughts on how to approach this one?
>
> Thanks!

Mike

Re: WMPNetworkSvc & WinDefend Services fail to start
The answer is, yes I have installed SP1, but this problem started a week or
so after installing SP1.... not right away. If I can avoid it, rolling back
is a bit too troublesome at the moment. I'd like to try other options if
there are any.

Thansk!

Mike

"William Anderson" <WilliamAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0E5FE2E3-DD5A-4263-A11F-A8011673E10F@microsoft.com...
> Hey there Mike,
>
> Have you installed SP1 yet? If so, have you tried a rollback? I'm
> reading
> on Neowin that it seemed to do the trick for some people.
>
> "Mike" wrote:
>
>> I get an error when I boot saying that WinDefend won't load. I checked
>> the
>> logs and found that both WinDefend and WMPNetworkSvc both fail to start,
>> errors below:
>>
>> WinDefend won't start: Error 2: The system cannot find the file
>> specified
>> WMPNetworkSvc: Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified
>>
>> Not sure if it's related, but my Security log has several Event 5038
>> errors:
>>
>> File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\drivers\t cpip.sys
>>
>> Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The
>> file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid
>> hash
>> could indicate a potential disk device error.
>>
>> I'm NOT using OneCare.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to approach this one?
>>
>> Thanks!

Mike

Re: WMPNetworkSvc & WinDefend Services fail to start
Thanks for the reply!

I removed KB931099 and rebooted twice. Even after checking for updates,
windows update doesn't show KB931099 as an option. I downloaded the x64
version of KB931099 from microsoft, and get the error that the update
"doesn't apply to my system". I am running Vista x64, so there's something
funky.

Is there some way to Force the update to install?

thanks!

Mike

"Engel" <Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> bottom), and then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).
> Reboot. Reboot again. (2)
> update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.
> This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.

Engel

Re: WMPNetworkSvc & WinDefend Services fail to start
Hello Mike,

<Is there some way to Force the update to install?>

Sure, you can try here:
64-bit <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=86955&clcid=0x409>

OR-
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>

Look in the right of the page for:

Latest Definition Updates
Windows Defender
Antispyware: v1.31.9091.0
32 bit
64 bit
Information on updating Defender

Try 64 bit, or Information on updating Defender

I hope this post is helpful.

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
- -- --