firewall won't start

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Johan

firewall won't start
Hi,
My firewall gives me this error message when i try to set it on.
"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service."
I have just installed SP1 but the problem started before that.
Bob

Re: firewall won't start
Run services.msc. Scroll down to Windows Firewall and start the service.

"Johan" <Johan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> My firewall gives me this error message when i try to set it on.
> "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service."
> I have just installed SP1 but the problem started before that.

Jason

RE: firewall won't start
Find firewall in the control panel and make sure it is on.

Johan

RE: firewall won't start
Thanks for the replies Bob and Jason.
The thing is that i get the error message from wherever i try to start the
firewall.
Bob

Re: firewall won't start

Run sfc /scannow.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If you don't include previous posts in this thread I will not respond to you
again.

"Johan" <Johan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC7B27A8-59DA-4BFA-9D56-4E963878C164@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the replies Bob and Jason.
> The thing is that i get the error message from wherever i try to start the
> firewall.

GTS

Re: firewall won't start
Try running this command in an elevated command prompt netsh winsock
reset
Reboot and then try enabling the firewall. This recently worked for me in
servicing a customers machine with the same problem.
--

"Johan" <Johan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> My firewall gives me this error message when i try to set it on.
> "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service."
> I have just installed SP1 but the problem started before that.

Johan

Re: firewall won't start
I ran it but it din't find anything.

"Bob" wrote:

> Run sfc /scannow.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
>
> If you don't include previous posts in this thread I will not respond to you
> again.
>
> "Johan" <Johan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC7B27A8-59DA-4BFA-9D56-4E963878C164@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the replies Bob and Jason.
> > The thing is that i get the error message from wherever i try to start the
> > firewall.

Johan

Re: firewall won't start
I ran it but nothing was found.

"Bob" wrote:

> Run sfc /scannow.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
>
> If you don't include previous posts in this thread I will not respond to you
> again.
>
> "Johan" <Johan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC7B27A8-59DA-4BFA-9D56-4E963878C164@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the replies Bob and Jason.
> > The thing is that i get the error message from wherever i try to start the
> > firewall.

Johan

Re: firewall won't start
I did as you said but i still can't get it to work :/

"GTS" wrote:

> Try running this command in an elevated command prompt netsh winsock
> reset
> Reboot and then try enabling the firewall. This recently worked for me in
> servicing a customers machine with the same problem.
> --
>
> "Johan" <Johan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > My firewall gives me this error message when i try to set it on.
> > "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service."
> > I have just installed SP1 but the problem started before that.

GTS

Re: firewall won't start
Have you ever had a 3rd party firewall or security suite installed on this
computer?