Defender won't turn on

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?Q29yZXk=?=

Defender won't turn on
In Windows Security Center, it shows that Defender is turned off. When I
click to turn on, it searches for new defintions...but none are ever
found...and Defender will not turn on. However, in the Application Event
Log, there are numerous events with Defender as the source showing scans
being done each night along with other detection activity. I'm running Vista
Home Premium w/ NAV2007...both were pre-loaded on a new PC from Dell.

Any insight as to why Security Center shows Defender as off is appreciated
along with how to resolve.
Luke

RE Defender wont turn on
I have this same problem. It is driving me crazy. Anyone found a way to fix this?

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Mohit Kapoor

RE: Defender won't turn on
Please perform the following to resolve your issues.

Open elevated command prompt and type cd\windows\system32\wbem press enter

Then type ren repository repository.old and press enter.

Restart the computer and check your security center again hopefully
everything should be working there.

Thanks and Regards

Mohit Kapoor

"Corey" wrote:

> In Windows Security Center, it shows that Defender is turned off. When I
> click to turn on, it searches for new defintions...but none are ever
> found...and Defender will not turn on. However, in the Application Event
> Log, there are numerous events with Defender as the source showing scans
> being done each night along with other detection activity. I'm running Vista
> Home Premium w/ NAV2007...both were pre-loaded on a new PC from Dell.
>
> Any insight as to why Security Center shows Defender as off is appreciated
> along with how to resolve.

Joe

Re: Defender won't turn on
I recieved a " Access is denied" message when I followed these instructions.
I ran the command prompt as adminsitrator and recieved the same message.
Vista Home Premium.
Windows Defender will not turn on, and doesn't recognize Avast (free
version)
-Joe

"Mohit Kapoor" <MohitKapoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please perform the following to resolve your issues.
>
> Open elevated command prompt and type cd\windows\system32\wbem press enter
>
> Then type ren repository repository.old and press enter.
>
> Restart the computer and check your security center again hopefully
> everything should be working there.
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Mohit Kapoor
>
> "Corey" wrote:
>
>> In Windows Security Center, it shows that Defender is turned off. When I
>> click to turn on, it searches for new defintions...but none are ever
>> found...and Defender will not turn on. However, in the Application Event
>> Log, there are numerous events with Defender as the source showing scans
>> being done each night along with other detection activity. I'm running
>> Vista
>> Home Premium w/ NAV2007...both were pre-loaded on a new PC from Dell.
>>
>> Any insight as to why Security Center shows Defender as off is
>> appreciated
>> along with how to resolve.

Joe

Re: Defender won't turn on
I have fixed this issue using the more detailed graphical method posted by
Rock. Thanks for the help all!
"Joe" <joe@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I recieved a " Access is denied" message when I followed these
>instructions. I ran the command prompt as adminsitrator and recieved the
>same message.
> Vista Home Premium.
> Windows Defender will not turn on, and doesn't recognize Avast (free
> version)
> -Joe
>
> "Mohit Kapoor" <MohitKapoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Please perform the following to resolve your issues.
>>
>> Open elevated command prompt and type cd\windows\system32\wbem press
>> enter
>>
>> Then type ren repository repository.old and press enter.
>>
>> Restart the computer and check your security center again hopefully
>> everything should be working there.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards
>>
>> Mohit Kapoor
>>
>> "Corey" wrote:
>>
>>> In Windows Security Center, it shows that Defender is turned off. When
>>> click to turn on, it searches for new defintions...but none are ever
>>> found...and Defender will not turn on. However, in the Application
>>> Event
>>> Log, there are numerous events with Defender as the source showing scans
>>> being done each night along with other detection activity. I'm running
>>> Vista
>>> Home Premium w/ NAV2007...both were pre-loaded on a new PC from Dell.
>>>
>>> Any insight as to why Security Center shows Defender as off is
>>> appreciated
>>> along with how to resolve.

Rock

Re: Defender won't turn on
"Joe" <joe@gmail.com> wrote
84296D99111C@microsoft.com...
>I have fixed this issue using the more detailed graphical method posted by
>Rock. Thanks for the help all!

Great Joe. Lol..just wish I could remember what the detailed graphical
method that I posted was!

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

dkintheuk

Re: Defender won't turn on
Please repost this method - i can't find it...

"Joe" wrote:

> I have fixed this issue using the more detailed graphical method posted by
> Rock. Thanks for the help all!
> "Joe" <joe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I recieved a " Access is denied" message when I followed these
> >instructions. I ran the command prompt as adminsitrator and recieved the
> >same message.
> > Vista Home Premium.
> > Windows Defender will not turn on, and doesn't recognize Avast (free
> > version)
> > -Joe
> >
> > "Mohit Kapoor" <MohitKapoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Please perform the following to resolve your issues.
> >>
> >> Open elevated command prompt and type cd\windows\system32\wbem press
> >> enter
> >>
> >> Then type ren repository repository.old and press enter.
> >>
> >> Restart the computer and check your security center again hopefully
> >> everything should be working there.
> >>
> >> Thanks and Regards
> >>
> >> Mohit Kapoor

Mohit Kapoor

Re: Defender won't turn on
Simple All you need to do is

Start->Search type cmd and command prompt will show up->Right click->Run as
administrator and then type the commands as follows

Cd c:\windows\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old press enter and reboot

If this doesn't help start the computer in safe mode and rename the folder
in safe mode.

If it still doesn't works turn off UAC and then try to rename it with
elevated command prompt in normal mode.

If it still doesn't works up then right click on the repository folder under
c:\windows\system32\wbem and go to properties ->Security Tab->Click
advanced->Ownership->Check replace owner on the subcontainers and
objects->Select your user name or administrators and click apply and then
OK(Twice)
Then click add (In the security tab) and then on the next window type
everyone and click OK.Ensure to give all permissions to everyone and click OK.

Rename the folder now.

Thanks and Regards ,
Mohit

"dkintheuk" wrote:

> Please repost this method - i can't find it...
>
> "Joe" wrote:
>
> > I have fixed this issue using the more detailed graphical method posted by
> > Rock. Thanks for the help all!
> > "Joe" <joe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >I recieved a " Access is denied" message when I followed these
> > >instructions. I ran the command prompt as adminsitrator and recieved the
> > >same message.
> > > Vista Home Premium.
> > > Windows Defender will not turn on, and doesn't recognize Avast (free
> > > version)
> > > -Joe

Steve

Re: Defender won't turn on
Mohit

I have the same problem. Thanks for the clear instructiuons.

I tried every step outlined in your post and still cannot rename the
Repository Folder.

After the last step to change owner and give everyone permissions, I still
get "You need permissons to perform this action" from Explorer or "access is
denied" from an elevated command prompt

Thanks

Steve

"Mohit Kapoor" wrote:

> Simple All you need to do is
>
> Start->Search type cmd and command prompt will show up->Right click->Run as
> administrator and then type the commands as follows
>
> Cd c:\windows\system32\wbem
> ren repository repository.old press enter and reboot
>
> If this doesn't help start the computer in safe mode and rename the folder
> in safe mode.
>
> If it still doesn't works turn off UAC and then try to rename it with
> elevated command prompt in normal mode.
>
> If it still doesn't works up then right click on the repository folder under
> c:\windows\system32\wbem and go to properties ->Security Tab->Click
> advanced->Ownership->Check replace owner on the subcontainers and
> objects->Select your user name or administrators and click apply and then
> OK(Twice)
> Then click add (In the security tab) and then on the next window type
> everyone and click OK.Ensure to give all permissions to everyone and click OK.
>
> Rename the folder now.
>
> Thanks and Regards ,
> Mohit
>
> "dkintheuk" wrote:
>
> > Please repost this method - i can't find it...
> >
> > "Joe" wrote:
> >
> > > I have fixed this issue using the more detailed graphical method posted by
> > > Rock. Thanks for the help all!

Steve

Re: Defender won't turn on
Found this information

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/arch...g_to_me_1.html

which suggests two ways to resolve this.

One is to stop Windows Management Instrumentation with

net stop winmgmt

before renaming the repository folder

then starting it again with

net start winmgmt.

This allowed me to rename the folder and once the folder was renamed, the
original problem of Security Centre and Windows Defender being incorrectly
reported as off was fixed.