Defender removed Trojan Dropper;Win32/Messenger Skinner

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

rongarden

Defender removed Trojan Dropper;Win32/Messenger Skinner
Defender removed this trojan on 12thApril but I am left with an entry in All
programs showing "Messenger Skinner2" and I cannot remove it.Does this mean
that the trojan has not been removed completely and can anybody tell me what
to do about it as I am still getting threat notices from a "Phoney Windows
Security" site and full page adverts from all sorts of firms?
Thanks if you can help.
--
Ron Sutton
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Defender removed Trojan Dropper;Win32/Messenger Skinner
Download and run Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"rongarden" wrote:

Defender removed this trojan on 12thApril but I am left with an entry in All
programs showing "Messenger Skinner2" and I cannot remove it.Does this mean
that the trojan has not been removed completely and can anybody tell me what
to do about it as I am still getting threat notices from a "Phoney Windows
Security" site and full page adverts from all sorts of firms?
Thanks if you can help.
--
Ron Sutton
Kayman

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:45:01 -0700, rongarden wrote:

> Defender removed this trojan on 12thApril but I am left with an entry in All
> programs showing "Messenger Skinner2" and I cannot remove it.Does this mean
> that the trojan has not been removed completely and can anybody tell me what
> to do about it as I am still getting threat notices from a "Phoney Windows
> Security" site and full page adverts from all sorts of firms?
> Thanks if you can help.

Ad-Aware and SuperAntispyware (both free) together with WinDef are
must-have applications. After you downloaded/updated the software perform
scan in safe mode.
rongarden

Re: Defender removed Trojan Dropper;Win32/Messenger Skinner
Hello Carey-I have managed to remove the Messenger Skinner Program from the
Startup and All Programs Menus but I am still getting about 12 different Full
Page Ads of various sorts including Phoney Security Centre messages saying
that 45 Threats have been found and giving a link to download an Antispyware
program.Have you any ideas how I can remove these Ads? i installed and ran
Adaware,Super Antipyware and Spyware Doctor in turn and some Threats were
found but the Ads keep coming.
According to the Microsoft description of the Trojan the Ads can continue
for 3 months after the Trojan has been removed!
Thanks
--
Ron Sutton

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Download and run Ad-Aware:
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows System & Performance

> "rongarden" wrote:
>
> Defender removed this trojan on 12thApril but I am left with an entry in All
> programs showing "Messenger Skinner2" and I cannot remove it.Does this mean
> that the trojan has not been removed completely and can anybody tell me what
> to do about it as I am still getting threat notices from a "Phoney Windows
> Security" site and full page adverts from all sorts of firms?
> Thanks if you can help.
> --
> Ron Sutton

Engel

RE: Defender removed Trojan Dropper;Win32/Messenger Skinner
Hello rongarden,

Have you tried Kayman's advice to Perform the scan in in Safe Mode?
Using all your cleaning tools.

- -- ---

"rongarden" wrote:

> Defender removed this trojan on 12thApril but I am left with an entry in All
> programs showing "Messenger Skinner2" and I cannot remove it.Does this mean
> that the trojan has not been removed completely and can anybody tell me what
> to do about it as I am still getting threat notices from a "Phoney Windows
> Security" site and full page adverts from all sorts of firms?
> Thanks if you can help.
> --
> Ron Sutton

rongarden

RE: Defender removed Trojan Dropper;Win32/Messenger Skinner
Hello Engel,
Yes I did scan with AdAware and Spyware Doctor in Safe Mode and I also ran
the Windows Live Onecare free scan and Windows Disk Clean Up and they all
disclosed some threats which I removed with no apparent effect on the
Messages and Ads but I have not received any of the Messages for the last 48
hours so I am thinking one of the scans did have some effect and stopped them.
I will stop some of the scans and see what happens.
Thanks for your help.
Ronswold

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello rongarden,
>
> Have you tried Kayman's advice to Perform the scan in in Safe Mode?
> Using all your cleaning tools.
>
> - -- ---
>

> "rongarden" wrote:
>
> > Defender removed this trojan on 12thApril but I am left with an entry in All
> > programs showing "Messenger Skinner2" and I cannot remove it.Does this mean
> > that the trojan has not been removed completely and can anybody tell me what
> > to do about it as I am still getting threat notices from a "Phoney Windows
> > Security" site and full page adverts from all sorts of firms?
> > Thanks if you can help.
> > --
> > Ron Sutton

Engel

RE: Defender removed Trojan Dropper;Win32/Messenger Skinner
Hi Ron,

That's good to hear, glad we were able to help.

Thanks for the report.

Another very good antimalware app is SuperAntiSpyware. There is a free
version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version includes active
monitoring, similar to Windows defender:
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>

- -- ---