Expired Norton

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Pete N Leanne

Expired Norton
Hi all, just wondering what the safest way to get around Norton, as my free
trial is up on the new machine and I'd rather use AVG or CA (if they're
still free). Tried uninstalling Nort. and installing AVG, but forgot to
disable norton prior to the uninstall this morning OOPS! anyhoo I'm back to
factory and any help is greatly appreciated.
thx

Charlie42

Re: Expired Norton
"Pete N Leanne" <lipc@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi all, just wondering what the safest way to get around Norton, as my
> free
> trial is up on the new machine and I'd rather use AVG or CA (if they're
> still free). Tried uninstalling Nort. and installing AVG, but forgot to
> disable norton prior to the uninstall this morning OOPS! anyhoo I'm back
> factory and any help is greatly appreciated.

The two AV flavours of the day are AVG and Avast! I understand you have
restored your computer to factory default, so downloading and installing any
of them should not be a problem.

You should install an additional anti-spyware scanner, even though you
already have one in Windows Defender. Vista's firewall will probably do just
fine for you, but if you want a third-party one there are free alternatives.
Remember to patch up your OS and enable the router firewall if you have one.

Microsoft Security at Home - protect your computer:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/default.mspx

AVG free anti-virus and anti-spyware:
http://free.grisoft.com/

Avast! anti-virus:

Ad-aware, anti-spyware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Superantispyware:
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Spybot Search & Destroy, anti-spyware:
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Comodo Firewall Pro:
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Charlie42

Mick Murphy

RE: Expired Norton

Above is the link for Norton Removal Tool; if using Norton.

Vista’s Firewall is very good!

Above is a link to Avast Free 4 Home Anti-Virus
It is low resource using, free and Vista 32bit and 64bit compatible.
Only have one (1) anti-virus installed; more than 1 can cause conflicts.

For Spyware removal, use the above link to “Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2”
Download it, install it, update it, immunize your system and scan your
System with it.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

For a non-scanning, but running in the background, Program to STOP Spyware
being downloaded to your Computer, use SpywareBlaster 4, available at the
above link.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia