Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

managing user rights on vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
sobriquet
 

Posts: n/a
managing user rights on vista

Hello.
Can anyone explain how to enable that users are able to download and
execute files, so they can install programs, while preventing access
to system folders like "C:\program files" and "C:\windows"?
Right now I have succeeded in configuring a user account so they can
write to the hard disk in most locations except system folders, but
when users try to run a program (in order to install it in a folder
where they are allowed to write files), they are still asked for a
password. So I want to disable that password somehow so users can run
and install programs without requiring an administrator password.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
Gary Mount
 

Posts: n/a
Re: managing user rights on vista
I know that you can turn UAC (User Account Control) off if that is what you
are looking for.
If that is what you are looking for, you can find out how to do it my typing
"uac" in the search box of the Windows Help and Support built into Windows
Vista and located on the Start menu.
Or go directly into the User Accounts in the Control Panel where you will
find "Turn User Account Control on or off"


"sobriquet" <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c35ec703-7c2b-49ec-b8a1-3b322507bb64@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
>
> Hello.
> Can anyone explain how to enable that users are able to download and
> execute files, so they can install programs, while preventing access
> to system folders like "C:\program files" and "C:\windows"?
> Right now I have succeeded in configuring a user account so they can
> write to the hard disk in most locations except system folders, but
> when users try to run a program (in order to install it in a folder
> where they are allowed to write files), they are still asked for a
> password. So I want to disable that password somehow so users can run
> and install programs without requiring an administrator password.
>
> Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
Bruce Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: managing user rights on vista
sobriquet wrote:
> Hello.
> Can anyone explain how to enable that users are able to download and
> execute files, so they can install programs, while preventing access
> to system folders like "C:\program files" and "C:\windows"?



It'd be impossible to install properly designed applications without
access to those folders.





--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2008
sobriquet
 

Posts: n/a
Re: managing user rights on vista
On 13 apr, 17:57, Bruce Chambers <bchamb...@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
> sobriquet wrote:
> > Hello.
> > Can anyone explain how to enable that users are able to download and
> > execute files, so they can install programs, while preventing access
> > to system folders like "C:\program files" and "C:\windows"?

>
> * * * * It'd be impossible to install properly designed applications without
> access to those folders.


Why? surely people can install programs in their own folder?
If a program asks whether to install in 'C:\program files', you can
point it
to (e.g.) 'D:\my folder' instead to install it there.

>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>
> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>
> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell
>
> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2008
Bruce Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: managing user rights on vista
sobriquet wrote:
>
> Why? surely people can install programs in their own folder?
> If a program asks whether to install in 'C:\program files', you can
> point it
> to (e.g.) 'D:\my folder' instead to install it there.
>


Because a properly designed (for the Win2K/WinXP/Vista security models,
at any rate) application will be written to install only to the
C:\Program Files folder. This is because allowing standard users to
install applications of any kind is contrary to the very basics of
computer security.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2008
Sergio
 

Posts: n/a
Re: managing user rights on vista
Hello,


> This is because allowing standard users to install applications
> of any kind is contrary to the very basics of computer security.


Well. Let me add that this is contrary to a peculiar interpretation of
computer security.

In general terms, there is no reason for forbid to install general purpose
applications in the personal user folders. And having the systems folders
suitably protected, I find that it's worse to install most of the general
purpose user applications using an administrator account, leaving files all
around.

Regards.

Sergio


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista backup with restricted user rights Flintstone microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 01-18-2008 12:31
Article ID: 937170 When you try to perform a task that requires elevated user rights, you do not receive a response in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 940475 In Windows Vista, you cannot access rights-protected content by using a local user account from a computer that is located outside the domain KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
User rights Christopher R. Lee microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 09-17-2007 02:33
Managing Roaming User Data XP v Vista Pete Gomersall microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 02-28-2007 14:11




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:35.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120