UAC - 2 Ids

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

torbar

UAC - 2 Ids
Evening

I have Vista Ultimate with 2 User ids (mine as admin, wife's as user). On
my new PC I installed the ASUS utilities under my id. When I log on with my
id the ASUS utiities execute with no UAC intervention (load at startup).
When my wife logs on (uses account), several ASUS programs (part of aisuite)
start up and require a UAC interaction to approve the execution. The request
displays in the Task Bar. Is there an option where UAC does not request
execution approval under my wife's id?

Thanks
--
torbar
Julian

Re: UAC - 2 Ids
Use the Task Scheduler under her account to run applications (at logon or
whenever you wish) with Elevation - supplying the Admin password at task
creation.

And you can do it for your own account to eliminate the one UAC prompt you
receive...

HTH

--
Julian I-Do-Stuff

Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

"torbar" <torbar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Evening
>
> I have Vista Ultimate with 2 User ids (mine as admin, wife's as user). On
> my new PC I installed the ASUS utilities under my id. When I log on with
> my
> id the ASUS utiities execute with no UAC intervention (load at startup).
> When my wife logs on (uses account), several ASUS programs (part of
> aisuite)
> start up and require a UAC interaction to approve the execution. The
> request
> displays in the Task Bar. Is there an option where UAC does not request
> execution approval under my wife's id?
>
> Thanks
> --
> torbar

t-4-2

Re: UAC - 2 Ids

torbar;681798 Wrote:
> Evening
>
> I have Vista Ultimate with 2 User ids (mine as admin, wife's as user).
> On
> my new PC I installed the ASUS utilities under my id. When I log on
> with my
> id the ASUS utiities execute with no UAC intervention (load at
> startup).
> When my wife logs on (uses account), several ASUS programs (part of
> aisuite)
> start up and require a UAC interaction to approve the execution. The
> request
> displays in the Task Bar. Is there an option where UAC does not request
> execution approval under my wife's id?
>
> Thanks
> --
> torbar

Hello torbar,
Any objection on changing your wife's account to admin account as well
?
Why make life anymore complicated than it is now ?

--
t-4-2
torbar

Re: UAC - 2 Ids
Reply to both Julian and t-4-2 Sorry for the late response to both of you.

Julian

I researched your suggestion, attempted configurations and have these
questions.

1. What happens to the current execution that are part of startup on both ids?
2. How do I determine if there are any parameters that are associated with
the startup (i.e., in the registry)? I assume that I would need to associate
those parameters with the task scheduler.
3. What is the effect of the change from a startup to a task schedule for my
wife's id to the same programs under my id?

t-4-2
I thought about your suggestion and it is a excellent idea. At this time I
decided to not change the account type for these reasons:

1. I would like to keep it as a user account to limit the problems that she
could encounter.
2. I would like to learn the differences between the user and administrator
account types and their ramifications as I implement different software and
we use the system in different patterns.

Comment/Discovery
1. I executed MSCONFIG andf disabled the 3 ASUS progams and determined that
with the 3 programs disabled, they were disabled for both users.
2. I discovered that I had to log off at least 1 user id in order for the
MSCONFIG change to cause a restart to take effect.
3. I am not sure what happened but it looked like the system did not
complete the restart under this scenario: msconfig, disable 3 programs, close
msconfig since it would not accept the restart option, switch to wife's id,
logoff her id, restart system from logon window (user ids displayed) and my
id still logged on. System appeared to be hung
4. Powered off/on system; logged onto wife's id; all 3 ASUS programs
dispayed the user account control requirement. Normally there is just 1 of
the 3 programs displayed.
5. I have not figured out the pattern for which program of the 3 display the
UAC request.

--
torbar

"t-4-2" wrote:

> torbar;681798 Wrote:
> > Evening
> >
> > I have Vista Ultimate with 2 User ids (mine as admin, wife's as user).
> > On
> > my new PC I installed the ASUS utilities under my id. When I log on
> > with my
> > id the ASUS utiities execute with no UAC intervention (load at
> > startup).
> > When my wife logs on (uses account), several ASUS programs (part of
> > aisuite)
> > start up and require a UAC interaction to approve the execution. The
> > request
> > displays in the Task Bar. Is there an option where UAC does not request
> > execution approval under my wife's id?
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > torbar

> Hello torbar,
> Any objection on changing your wife's account to admin account as well
> ?
> Why make life anymore complicated than it is now ?
>

> --
> t-4-2

t-4-2

Re: UAC - 2 Ids

torbar;701830 Wrote:
> [...]
> logoff her id, restart system from logon window (user ids displayed)
> and my
> id still logged on. System appeared to be hung
> 4. Powered off/on system; logged onto wife's id; all 3 ASUS programs
> dispayed the user account control requirement. Normally there is just 1
> of
> the 3 programs displayed.
> 5. I have not figured out the pattern for which program of the 3
> display the
> UAC request.
>

> --
> torbar
>

> "t-4-2" wrote:
> > > >

> > > torbar;681798 Wrote:
> > > Hello torbar,
> > > Any objection on changing your wife's account to admin account as

> > well
> > > ?
> > > Why make life anymore complicated than it is now ?

Hello torbar,
Just in case you have not read that. This is an answer to your reason
#2.

3703
3704

|Filename: admin acct.JPG |
|Download: http://vista64.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3704|

t-4-2
t-4-2

Re: UAC - 2 Ids

t-4-2;701858 Wrote:
> [...]
> > dispayed the user account control requirement. Normally there is just 1
> > of
> > the 3 programs displayed.
> > 5. I have not figured out the pattern for which program of the 3
> > display the
> > UAC request.
> >

> > --
> > torbar
> >

> > "t-4-2" wrote:
> > > >

> Hello torbar,
> Just in case you have not read that. This is an answer to your reason
> #2.
>
> 3703 3704
> Which I believe should also answer your reason #1. She just have to
> put up with it as long as she is in user account. Unless of course you
> decide to disable UAC in which case you'll have 6 million people
> telling you not to, another 6 million telling you to go ahead.

I was told you will not be able to see the links without being told to
join something. If that is the case, don't touch them.
The long and short of the whole difference between user acct. and admin
acct. is :
User account can NOT install/uninstall any programs, can NOT change
settings, and in some cases requires admin. password to activate a
program.
Administrator account can do ALMOST all of the above.

--
t-4-2
t-4-2

Re: UAC - 2 Ids

I was told that people cannot see what's in my links without being told
to join somethig. If that's the case, don't bother.
The long and short of the difference between user acct. and admin acct.
is that user account can NOT install or uninstall any programs, can Not
change settings, and in some cases requires admin password to continue.
The administrator account can do ALMOST all of the above.
Hope that will clear any uncertaintities.

--
t-4-2