Can't open images on Desktop

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Nigel Molesworth

Can't open images on Desktop
If I drop a jpg on my Desktop, I can't open it with Photo Gallery. If I move
it to Documents, or Pictures for example, it opens fine. My Desktop is a
subfolder of a separate drive, alongside Documents and Pictures etc.

Any thoughts?

RdFalcon is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't open images on Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Molesworth View Post
If I drop a jpg on my Desktop, I can't open it with Photo Gallery. If I move
it to Documents, or Pictures for example, it opens fine. My Desktop is a
subfolder of a separate drive, alongside Documents and Pictures etc.

Any thoughts?
I dont know how or why ... but this works!!!

> FINALLY! I had the same problem, and think I found an answer - at least,
> this worked for me...
>
> It sounds crazy, but... copy all of the web / internet shortcuts that
> are on your desktop to a folder on your desktop called test (or anything
> else).
>
> Now try double clicking on a JPG image (assuming Windows Photo Gallery
> is still your default application.)
>
> *If that works - PLEASE post a reply here.*
>
> Then, one by one, copy the shortcut files back to the desktop - double
> clicking the JPG file each time to see when this happens again. When you
> find the offending shortcut, copy it's URL and delete the file. Then
> try double clicking the file again.

Nigel Molesworth

Re: Can't open images on Desktop
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:39:08 +0100, RdFalcon
<RdFalcon.3gvhsd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>> It sounds crazy, but... copy all of the web / internet shortcuts that
>> are on your desktop to a folder on your desktop called test (or

>anything else).
>>
>> Now try double clicking on a JPG image (assuming Windows Photo

>Gallery is still your default application.)
>>
>> *If that works - PLEASE post a reply here.*

Yes, it worked. And strangely, putting the links back didn't break it again.

DocX's Avatar

DocX is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't open images on Desktop
Ya that worked for me as well. Thats one of the strangest things Ive ran into in a while. Thanks for posting this fix.

RochoTowey is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't open images on Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocX View Post
Ya that worked for me as well. Thats one of the strangest things Ive ran into in a while. Thanks for posting this fix.
i JUST TRIED IT AND it worked for me as well thanks.

caroln242 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't open images on Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochoTowey View Post
i JUST TRIED IT AND it worked for me as well thanks.
I was having the same problem and tried this simple fix. Worked like a charm. I saw other forums give the most complicated technical advise on this subject...hope they keep checking around and find this thread!
PMB PMB is offline

PMB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't open images on Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdFalcon View Post
I dont know how or why ... but this works!!!

> FINALLY! I had the same problem, and think I found an answer - at least,
> this worked for me...
>
> It sounds crazy, but... copy all of the web / internet shortcuts that
> are on your desktop to a folder on your desktop called test (or anything
> else).
>
> Now try double clicking on a JPG image (assuming Windows Photo Gallery
> is still your default application.)
>
> *If that works - PLEASE post a reply here.*
>
> Then, one by one, copy the shortcut files back to the desktop - double
> clicking the JPG file each time to see when this happens again. When you
> find the offending shortcut, copy it's URL and delete the file. Then
> try double clicking the file again.

Thanks heaps, found the culprit and removed it from the desktop
Redemption's Avatar

Redemption is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't open images on Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Molesworth View Post
If I drop a jpg on my Desktop, I can't open it with Photo Gallery. If I move
it to Documents, or Pictures for example, it opens fine. My Desktop is a
subfolder of a separate drive, alongside Documents and Pictures etc.

Any thoughts?
Two suggestions. First change the extension from jpeg to another picture file extension. Secondly, check the properties in Picture Gallery and make sure that they have not been archived. Click on Gallery in file, go to properties, then read the properties list. Look for check marks. Uncheck them and try again to have Picture Gallery open your picture file.