adware

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

keystonepat

adware
Do I need additional software for adware protection if I have Windows One-Care?
--
keystonepat
John Barnett MVP

Re: adware
Sorry Keystonepat you cross posted and your other post didn't have any
message at all, so my reply was simply, 'so what about adware'.

To be honest I don't like Windows One Care, but it does have Windows
defender incorporated in it as does Vista itself (One care turns off the
Vista version, however, so it can use its own version.).

I personally just use my Anti Virus application (Sophos Enterprise) and
Windows defender and I haven't experienced any problems. However, other
people do use a combination of adware software, such as Spybot search and
destroy and Ad-Aware. Both of these are excellent free applications.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"keystonepat" <keystonepat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I need additional software for adware protection if I have Windows
> One-Care?
> --
> keystonepat

Kayman

Re: adware
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 06:25:03 -0700, keystonepat wrote:

> Do I need additional software for adware protection if I have Windows One-Care?

Steer away from Windows One-Care.
There are many good free AV applications available, and almost everyone has
his favorite. Most of the users are emotionally attached to their av
application and will have excellent reasons for not recommending any other
brand.
The most important thing here is that all of the available choices listed
here are better in some respects than in others, and which choice is better
for *you* depends on what you do, how you work, and which features you use.
The way you use your PC is different from others.
Have a look at this:
and be guided accordingly.
Good info can be obtained here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20
and here:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

If the above is too deluging consider this:-
Real-time AV applications - for viral malware.
Do not utilize more than one (1) real-time anti-virus scanning engine!
Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom
Installation on some AV apps.) as it provides no additional protection. In
fact most experts believe that scanning incoming and outgoing mail causes
e-mail file corruption.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...= bar_sch_nam

Avira AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic - Free
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html
You may wish to consider removing the 'AntiVir Nagscreen'
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm
or
Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
It includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs
Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT DETECTION based on the best-in class
GMER technology.
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
or
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/
(Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)
or
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser
or
ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/
and (optional)
On-demand AV application.
(add it to your arsenal and use it as a "second opinion" av scanner).
BitDefender10 Free Edition
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html

A-S applications - for non-viral malware.
The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging and
oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software that
cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need multiple
products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch what
another may miss, (grab'em all).

SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
and
Ad-Aware 2007 - Free
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
and
Spybot Search & Destroy - Free
and
Windows Defender - Free (build-in in Vista)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
WD monitors the start-registry and hooks registers/files to prevent spyware
and worms to install to the OS.
Interesting reading:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136195/article.html
"...Windows Defender did excel in behavior-based protection, which detects
changes to key areas of the system without having to know anything about
the actual threat."

Good luck
stephen claussen

Re: adware

im running avg free, avast,and spybot s@d on vista ulttimate 64.do
istill need an adware

--
stephen claussen
Brink

Re: adware

stephen claussen;677328 Wrote:
> im running avg free, avast,and spybot s@d on vista ulttimate 64.do
> istill need an adware

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to Vista Forums.

You do not want to have more than one antivirus or firewall program
installed on your computer at a time. They will usually conflict with
each other and cause a lot of problems. Either AVG or Avast is a great
choice to choose from. You can have as many anti-spyware/adware programs
installed as you like though. Spybot is a great choice. Some others free
programs to consider are listed here.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/115...ist-vista.html

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Kayman

Re: adware
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:20:20 -0500, stephen claussen wrote:

> im running avg free, avast,

One (1) should be running as 'on-demand' and the other as 'real-time'.

> and spybot s@d on vista ulttimate 64.do i still need an adware.

The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging and
oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software that
cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need multiple
products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch what
another may miss. On-demand/Real-time rule applies as well.
Kayman

Re: adware
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:32:47 -0500, Brink wrote:

> Welcome to Vista Forums.
>
> You do not want to have more than one antivirus or firewall program
> installed on your computer at a time.

You do not want to have more than one *real-time* antivirus program
installed on your computer at a time. You can have multiple *on-demand*
antivirus programs installed at any time.

On-demand AV apps:
BitDefender10 Free Edition
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html
and/or
David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV.EXE
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

> They will usually conflict with each other and cause a lot of problems.

No conflict whatsoever!

> Either AVG or Avast is a great choice to choose from.

Avira AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic - Free
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

is *better* :-)

> You can have as many anti-spyware/adware programsinstalled as you like though.

As long as they are *on-demand* applications.

> Spybot is a great choice. Some others free programs to consider are listed here.
> http://www.vistax64.com/software/115...ist-vista.html

SG

Re: adware
Kayman,

I assume it runs OK on Vista?

"BitDefender10 Free Edition"
"Operating platform: Windows 98/NT-SP6/Me/2000/XP IE 4.0(+)"

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 05:20:24 -0400, SG wrote:

> Kayman,
>
> I assume it runs OK on Vista?

Well, you answered it, didn't you.

> "BitDefender10 Free Edition"
> "Operating platform: Windows 98/NT-SP6/Me/2000/XP IE 4.0(+)"

Google for more AV on-demand apps suitable for Vista.
Mick Murphy

RE: adware
Below is the security I use, both for XP and Vista.

I use windows firewall.

Above is a link to Avast Free 4 Home Anti-Virus
It is low resource using, free and Vista 32bit and 64bit compatible.
Only have one (1) anti-virus installed; more than 1 can cause conflicts.

For Spyware removal, use the above link to “Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2”
Download it, install it, update it, immunize your system and scan your
System with it.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

For a non-scanning, but running in the background, Program to STOP Spyware
being downloaded to your Computer, use SpywareBlaster 4, available at the
above link.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia