Visual-Studio severely damages Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Jim Kay

Visual-Studio severely damages Vista
Way back in Nov of 2006, when Vista appeared for download on MSDN, I began
testing it. One of the early things I did was install Visual-Studio 2005
with its SP1. I discovered that multiple critical update processes were
failing to get access to c:\config.msi (a directory) and I was NOT being
prompted by UAC for administrative rights. There were scads of messages
about this on the Visual-Studio forum but silence from Microsoft. Every time
I update the access rights to that directory, something in Vista/V-S sets
those rights back to where they were.

Because I did not know the cause of the problem I totally rebuilt the
machine and installed my software more slowly. This time I discovered it was
specifically the install of Visual-Studio 2005 with its SP1 that caused the
problem.

I totally rebuilt the machine another time (each time takes about three
days) and then I installed Visual-Studio 2008 believing Microsoft MUST have
fixed the problem in the new Visual-Studio. Boy was I WRONG!!! Eventually, I
reconfigured c:\config.msi to inherit its rights from the root and I gave
myself full control there. This has made the problem a bit better but even
that gets reset in mysterious ways.

Now I am having trouble with McAfee Total Protection for Small Business
which decides it cannot update it's registry entries so it stops downloading
the latest virus signatures. (For now I may have found a workaroud: as soon
as I logon, I stop McAfee and restart it using run as administrator.)

But this mess is totally INSANE! I have several Vista systems running for
testing and this is the only machine where I have installed Visual-Studio.
It's the only machine having these problems which began IMMEDIATELY after I
installed V-S again (fool that I am).

Is there any hope that Microsoft is going to acknowledge this mess and
figure out how to fix it?

Alun Harford

Re: Visual-Studio severely damages Vista
Jim Kay wrote:
> Way back in Nov of 2006, when Vista appeared for download on MSDN, I
> began testing it. One of the early things I did was install
> Visual-Studio 2005 with its SP1. I discovered that multiple critical
> update processes were failing to get access to c:\config.msi (a
> directory) and I was NOT being prompted by UAC for administrative
> rights. There were scads of messages about this on the Visual-Studio
> forum but silence from Microsoft. Every time I update the access rights
> to that directory, something in Vista/V-S sets those rights back to
> where they were.
>
> Because I did not know the cause of the problem I totally rebuilt the
> machine and installed my software more slowly. This time I discovered it
> was specifically the install of Visual-Studio 2005 with its SP1 that
> caused the problem.
>
> I totally rebuilt the machine another time (each time takes about three
> days) and then I installed Visual-Studio 2008 believing Microsoft MUST
> have fixed the problem in the new Visual-Studio. Boy was I WRONG!!!
> Eventually, I reconfigured c:\config.msi to inherit its rights from the
> root and I gave myself full control there. This has made the problem a
> bit better but even that gets reset in mysterious ways.
>
> Now I am having trouble with McAfee Total Protection for Small Business
> which decides it cannot update it's registry entries so it stops
> downloading the latest virus signatures. (For now I may have found a
> workaroud: as soon as I logon, I stop McAfee and restart it using run as
> administrator.)
>
> But this mess is totally INSANE! I have several Vista systems running
> for testing and this is the only machine where I have installed
> Visual-Studio. It's the only machine having these problems which began
> IMMEDIATELY after I installed V-S again (fool that I am).
>
> Is there any hope that Microsoft is going to acknowledge this mess and
> figure out how to fix it?

If I remember correctly c:\config.msi is Office 2000 idiocy.

IIRC SYSTEM needs to have full control on that folder.

Alun Harford
Mr. Arnold

"Jim Kay" <joschka@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Way back in Nov of 2006, when Vista appeared for download on MSDN, I began
> testing it. One of the early things I did was install Visual-Studio 2005
> with its SP1. I discovered that multiple critical update processes were
> failing to get access to c:\config.msi (a directory) and I was NOT being
> prompted by UAC for administrative rights. There were scads of messages
> about this on the Visual-Studio forum but silence from Microsoft. Every
> time I update the access rights to that directory, something in Vista/V-S
> sets those rights back to where they were.
>
> Because I did not know the cause of the problem I totally rebuilt the
> machine and installed my software more slowly. This time I discovered it
> was specifically the install of Visual-Studio 2005 with its SP1 that
> caused the problem.
>
> I totally rebuilt the machine another time (each time takes about three
> days) and then I installed Visual-Studio 2008 believing Microsoft MUST
> have fixed the problem in the new Visual-Studio. Boy was I WRONG!!!
> Eventually, I reconfigured c:\config.msi to inherit its rights from the
> root and I gave myself full control there. This has made the problem a bit
> better but even that gets reset in mysterious ways.
>
> Now I am having trouble with McAfee Total Protection for Small Business
> which decides it cannot update it's registry entries so it stops
> downloading the latest virus signatures. (For now I may have found a
> workaroud: as soon as I logon, I stop McAfee and restart it using run as
> administrator.)
>
> But this mess is totally INSANE! I have several Vista systems running for
> testing and this is the only machine where I have installed Visual-Studio.
> It's the only machine having these problems which began IMMEDIATELY after
> I installed V-S again (fool that I am).
>
> Is there any hope that Microsoft is going to acknowledge this mess and
> figure out how to fix it?

I don't know man. I have installed VS 2005 with SP1 and uninstalled it. I
went to VS 2008 and installed that. I don't know what you're talking about,
but i did do the installs with Run as Administrator.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

RE: Visual-Studio severely damages Vista
Hello,

Thank you for your post.

According to your description, my understanding is that after you installed
Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio 2008 on your Vista machine, some update
processes failed because the access to C:\cinfig.msi is denied. After you
uninstalled Visual Studio, the issue gone. You concern is to verify whether
it is the Visual Studio that cause this issue and find a solution to solve
this issue.

If there is any misunderstanding, please let me know.

According to the symptom, it seems that there are some compatibility issues
between Visual Studio and Vista. As we are not Visual Studio expert, I'd
like to suggest that you also submit a post in the following MSDN newsgroup
so that this issue can be resolved efficiently.

microsoft.public.msdn.general

The engineers and newsgroup members there are more experienced on Visual
Studio related issues, and should be able to provide you with suggestions
on this issue.

Meanwhile,I'd like to share with you some basic information.

Based on my research, this issue might be caused by not properly installing
Visual Studio 2005/2008.

I recommend you follow the below steps to uninstall Visual Studio 2008 and
reinstall it.

1. Please follow the below article to uninstalling Visual Studio
2008
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/bb968856.aspx

2. Install the latest Windows updates.

3. Check if there is any anti-virus or antispyware running. Turn
them off before installation.

4. Make sure that the installation media is healthy. If the
installation from DVD is not working well, you can try copying the contents
of the disc to the hard disk and try the installation from the hard disk.

5. Temporarily disable/dismiss Windows Update during installation
(especially in Vista see:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx)

6. Run the installation as administrator.

After the installation is finished, please check whether the issue still
exists.

If yes, I recommend you to contact to MSDN support engineers for further
investigation.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

Jim Kay

Re: Visual-Studio severely damages Vista
There are two things in your understanding that are a little off:

1. removing Visual Studio does not fix the problem. My Vista machines remain
permanently broken and must be totally rebuilt to fix them.
2. there are many messages in the MSDN forums of people complaining about
trouble with access to c:\config.msi directory but there are no (that I ever
found) responses from anyone at Microsoft that acknowlegeds the connection
to Visual Studio installation. I have proven to my own satisfaction that
installing Visual Studio is the cause of the problem. But it cannot, as far
as I know, ever be reversed other than format the drive and start over with
everything.

I have posted in MSDN but Microsoft just ignores the problem and doesn't
respond to ANYONE.

"Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]" <v-jpzhu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your post.
>
> According to your description, my understanding is that after you
> installed
> Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio 2008 on your Vista machine, some
> update
> processes failed because the access to C:\cinfig.msi is denied. After you
> uninstalled Visual Studio, the issue gone. You concern is to verify
> whether
> it is the Visual Studio that cause this issue and find a solution to solve
> this issue.
>
> If there is any misunderstanding, please let me know.
>
> According to the symptom, it seems that there are some compatibility
> issues
> between Visual Studio and Vista. As we are not Visual Studio expert, I'd
> like to suggest that you also submit a post in the following MSDN
> newsgroup
> so that this issue can be resolved efficiently.
>
> microsoft.public.msdn.general
>
> The engineers and newsgroup members there are more experienced on Visual
> Studio related issues, and should be able to provide you with suggestions
> on this issue.
>
> Meanwhile,I'd like to share with you some basic information.
>
> Based on my research, this issue might be caused by not properly
> installing
> Visual Studio 2005/2008.
>
> I recommend you follow the below steps to uninstall Visual Studio 2008 and
> reinstall it.
>
> 1. Please follow the below article to uninstalling Visual Studio
> 2008
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/bb968856.aspx
>
> 2. Install the latest Windows updates.
>
> 3. Check if there is any anti-virus or antispyware running. Turn
> them off before installation.
>
> 4. Make sure that the installation media is healthy. If the
> installation from DVD is not working well, you can try copying the
> contents
> of the disc to the hard disk and try the installation from the hard disk.
>
> 5. Temporarily disable/dismiss Windows Update during installation
> (especially in Vista see:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx)
>
> 6. Run the installation as administrator.
>
> After the installation is finished, please check whether the issue still
> exists.
>
> If yes, I recommend you to contact to MSDN support engineers for further
> investigation.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Neo Zhu,
> Microsoft Online Support
> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

> ================================================== ===
> ================================================== ===
> rights.

Bob

Re: Visual-Studio severely damages Vista
What post?
When posting, please quote relevant information so that others know what you’re
talking about.

"Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]" <v-jpzhu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your post.
>
> According to your description, my understanding is that after you
> installed
> Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio 2008 on your Vista machine, some
> update
> processes failed because the access to C:\cinfig.msi is denied. After you
> uninstalled Visual Studio, the issue gone. You concern is to verify
> whether
> it is the Visual Studio that cause this issue and find a solution to solve
> this issue.
>
> If there is any misunderstanding, please let me know.
>
> According to the symptom, it seems that there are some compatibility
> issues
> between Visual Studio and Vista. As we are not Visual Studio expert, I'd
> like to suggest that you also submit a post in the following MSDN
> newsgroup
> so that this issue can be resolved efficiently.
>
> microsoft.public.msdn.general
>
> The engineers and newsgroup members there are more experienced on Visual
> Studio related issues, and should be able to provide you with suggestions
> on this issue.
>
> Meanwhile,I'd like to share with you some basic information.
>
> Based on my research, this issue might be caused by not properly
> installing
> Visual Studio 2005/2008.
>
> I recommend you follow the below steps to uninstall Visual Studio 2008 and
> reinstall it.
>
> 1. Please follow the below article to uninstalling Visual Studio
> 2008
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/bb968856.aspx
>
> 2. Install the latest Windows updates.
>
> 3. Check if there is any anti-virus or antispyware running. Turn
> them off before installation.
>
> 4. Make sure that the installation media is healthy. If the
> installation from DVD is not working well, you can try copying the
> contents
> of the disc to the hard disk and try the installation from the hard disk.
>
> 5. Temporarily disable/dismiss Windows Update during installation
> (especially in Vista see:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx)
>
> 6. Run the installation as administrator.
>
> After the installation is finished, please check whether the issue still
> exists.
>
> If yes, I recommend you to contact to MSDN support engineers for further
> investigation.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Neo Zhu,
> Microsoft Online Support
> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

> ================================================== ===
> ================================================== ===
> rights.

SG

Re: Visual-Studio severely damages Vista
Here is the post Bob,

Quote:
[...]

End Quote

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:U4adnftau6XE3WHanZ2dnUVZ_sKqnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> What post?
> When posting, please quote relevant information so that others know what
> you’re talking about.

SNIPPED

SG

Re: Visual-Studio severely damages Vista
Hi Jim,

Here's a few things I picked up on the Net that "may" help you.

"" Insufficient access to C:Config.msi message when installing
This error occurs when the installer cannot write a file to the C:Config.msi
folder for some reason. A common cause is that a Windows Explorer window is
open that locks this folder. Clicking retry will usually allow the setup to
continue. Close all open applications and restart the installation if the
"retry" method does not work.""

Here are a few links that doesn't necessarily deal with Visual-Studio, but
may lead to a clue to help you.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2080929.php

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...23876&SiteID=1

Take a close look at this one......
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-instal...nstallers.html

http://glovario.wordpress.com/2008/0...figmsixxxxrbf/

You can search Google for the words C:\cinfig.msi
They are several hits and maybe something can help you.

--

> [...]
>> of the disc to the hard disk and try the installation from the hard disk.
>>
>> 5. Temporarily disable/dismiss Windows Update during installation
>> (especially in Vista see:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx)
>>
>> 6. Run the installation as administrator.
>>
>> After the installation is finished, please check whether the issue still
>> exists.
>>
>> If yes, I recommend you to contact to MSDN support engineers for further
>> investigation.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Neo Zhu,
>> Microsoft Online Support
>> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

>> ================================================== ===
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Re: Visual-Studio severely damages Vista
Hello Jim,

Thank you for the reply.

I have done some further research and I find that Vista's UAC prompting
might cause this problem. Also running Visual Studio with normal user
permissions on Vista might cause some issues.

To narrow down this issue, I recommend you follow the steps below and have
another try.

1. Enable the Administrator account and log in as Administrator.
2. Disable Vista's UAC prompting.
To do this, please
1). Go to Start, Run, and enter "MSCONFIG"
2). Go to the Tools menu.
3). Halfway down the list, enable 'Disable UAC Disables User Account
Control (Requires Reboot)'
4). Reboot.

3. Please uninstall Visual Studio and reinstall it again following the
steps I mentioned in my last mail.

After that, please check whether the issues still occur.

If yes, please tell me in detail that what operation causes the issue.
Please also check whether there are any error messages recorded in Event
logs and let me know. If possible, please capture a screenshot of the error
message and mail the screenshot to me.

To capture a screenshot:
===================
1. Please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click "Start", click "Run", type "mspaint", and click "OK".
3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File
menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type",
click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.
4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment
to: v-jpzhu@microsoft.com

More information
==============
The following information is for your reference:

Visual Studio 2005 on Windows Vista Issue List when running with normal
user permissions:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2005/aa972193.aspx

Contents of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Setup Issues Readme file

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
> [...]
| > contents
| > of the disc to the hard disk and try the installation from the hard
disk.

| > 5. Temporarily disable/dismiss Windows Update during installation
| > (especially in Vista see:
| > http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx)
| >
| > 6. Run the installation as administrator.
| >
| > After the installation is finished, please check whether the issue still
| > exists.
| >
| > If yes, I recommend you to contact to MSDN support engineers for further
| > investigation.
| >
| > Thanks.
| >
| > Sincerely,
| > Neo Zhu,
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > ================================================== ===
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

Bob

Re: Visual-Studio severely damages Vista
McAfee is known to cause problems in Vista. Sometimes they don’t show up
immediately.
Replace McAfee with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
Defender. ***Disabling McAfee is not enough. You need to completely
uninstall it.***
McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml
-------