Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

thesource.ofallevil.com ?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2008
JanJ
 

Posts: n/a
thesource.ofallevil.com ?
What's this? A phishing site?

http://thesource.ofallevil.com/commu...sta.sec urity

It has Live-ID log-in, but the dns name and IP-addy aren't Redmond's, but
Theplanet.com, a web host in Houston. The Live-ID log-in button takes you to
live.com, but the log-in doesn't work.

Or is it just a geeky joke, hence the site name?

JJ
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: thesource.ofallevil.com ?
Previous conversations about this:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear... oft.public.*

[NB: above link not clickable for intended results; copy the link, including
the ending period and asterisk, and paste into Address Bar.]
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

JanJ wrote:
> What's this? A phishing site?
>
> http://thesource.ofallevil.com/commu...sta.sec urity
>
> It has Live-ID log-in, but the dns name and IP-addy aren't Redmond's, but
> Theplanet.com, a web host in Houston. The Live-ID log-in button takes you
> to
> live.com, but the log-in doesn't work.
>
> Or is it just a geeky joke, hence the site name?
>
> JJ


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2008
JanJ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: thesource.ofallevil.com ?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Previous conversations about this:
>
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups/sear... oft.public.*
>


Thanx PA Bear. I read the threads, but there is one question I can't find an
answer to. This site has a Live-ID sign-in button. Clicking it sends you
straight to login.live.com, which is a legit MS site. Still I wonder, can
thesource.ofallevil.com intercept a Live-ID and password when you enter this
info at live.com, having been referred from the non-MS site first? Not that
I'm willing to try...

I find it strange that login.live.com appears to be down when I'm referred
from there, but it's not when I click a sign-in button at Microsoft.com.

Also, does anybody know who is actually operating thesource.ofallevil.com?

JJ

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2008
SG
 

Posts: n/a
Re: thesource.ofallevil.com ?
http://spiresecurity.typepad.com/spi..._thesourc.html

Drop thesource.ofallevil.com in Google and you will see several more
hits.

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

"JanJ" <JanJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B4A70EEC-032B-4184-9D8D-30CA4113AF26@microsoft.com...
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Previous conversations about this:
>>
>>
>>http://groups.google.com/groups/sear... oft.public.*
>>

>
> Thanx PA Bear. I read the threads, but there is one question I can't find
> an
> answer to. This site has a Live-ID sign-in button. Clicking it sends you
> straight to login.live.com, which is a legit MS site. Still I wonder, can
> thesource.ofallevil.com intercept a Live-ID and password when you enter
> this
> info at live.com, having been referred from the non-MS site first? Not
> that
> I'm willing to try...
>
> I find it strange that login.live.com appears to be down when I'm referred
> from there, but it's not when I click a sign-in button at Microsoft.com.
>
> Also, does anybody know who is actually operating thesource.ofallevil.com?
>
> JJ
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2008
JanJ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: thesource.ofallevil.com ?


"SG" wrote:

> http://spiresecurity.typepad.com/spi..._thesourc.html



Appreciate it, SG.

JJ
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2008
.Joe
 

Posts: n/a
Re: thesource.ofallevil.com ?

JanJ;674545 Wrote:
> What's this? A phishing site?
>
> 'Discussions in Windows Vista Security'
> (http://thesource.ofallevil.com/commu...sta.sec urity)
>
> It has Live-ID log-in, but the dns name and IP-addy aren't Redmond's,
> but
> Theplanet.com, a web host in Houston. The Live-ID log-in button takes
> you to
> live.com, but the log-in doesn't work.
>
> Or is it just a geeky joke, hence the site name?
>
> JJ


I looked at it and the google references. It looks like a joke being
played on Microsoft.


--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com\")_
_*::Click_here_for_the_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4050 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/42901\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
_**_
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: thesource.ofallevil.com ?
JanJ wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Previous conversations about this:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/groups/sear... oft.public.*
>>

> Thanx PA Bear. I read the threads, but there is one question I can't find
> an
> answer to. This site has a Live-ID sign-in button. Clicking it sends you
> straight to login.live.com, which is a legit MS site. Still I wonder, can
> thesource.ofallevil.com intercept a Live-ID and password when you enter
> this
> info at live.com, having been referred from the non-MS site first? Not
> that
> I'm willing to try...
>
> I find it strange that login.live.com appears to be down when I'm referred
> from there, but it's not when I click a sign-in button at Microsoft.com.
>
> Also, does anybody know who is actually operating thesource.ofallevil.com?


All I can tell you is the MS is aware of it. Given their reluctance to say
anything else publicly and the fact that the link still takes you to a real
MS page, one might assume MS (now) owns the domain.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008
JanJ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: thesource.ofallevil.com ?
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> All I can tell you is the MS is aware of it. Given their reluctance to say
> anything else publicly and the fact that the link still takes you to a real
> MS page, one might assume MS (now) owns the domain.


A cheap SEO trick, then. Who'd guess... Thanx for replying. Anyway, think
I'm gonna watch carefully for what "Microsoft" sites show up in web searches
from now on.

JJ
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: thesource.ofallevil.com ?
JanJ wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> All I can tell you is the MS is aware of it. Given their reluctance to
>> say
>> anything else publicly and the fact that the link still takes you to a
>> real
>> MS page, one might assume MS (now) owns the domain.

>
> A cheap SEO trick, then. Who'd guess... Thanx for replying. Anyway, think
> I'm gonna watch carefully for what "Microsoft" sites show up in web
> searches
> from now on.


You may find Site Advisor (free) helpful for that!
http://www.siteadvisor.com/
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2008
C.B.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: thesource.ofallevil.com ?


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:u#YH7TZmIHA.5684@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> JanJ wrote:
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> All I can tell you is the MS is aware of it. Given their reluctance to
>>> say
>>> anything else publicly and the fact that the link still takes you to a
>>> real
>>> MS page, one might assume MS (now) owns the domain.

>>
>> A cheap SEO trick, then. Who'd guess... Thanx for replying. Anyway, think
>> I'm gonna watch carefully for what "Microsoft" sites show up in web
>> searches
>> from now on.

>
> You may find Site Advisor (free) helpful for that!
> http://www.siteadvisor.com/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


Mr. Dyer,

Is Site Advisor compatible with Vista? Have you seen any posts stating
that Site Advisor has caused any problems?
Thank you for any assistance provided.

C.B.


--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:14.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120