UAC Corrupted in SP1?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

BirdMan

UAC Corrupted in SP1?
After installing SP1, my user account was changed to standard user and many
of the programs (including IE7) would not work properly AFTER I changed my
user account back to Administrator.

The other accounts that were Administrator and a new Administrator account
would still not allow IE7 to work properly unless "run as Administrator".

When I turn UAC off, the problems go away.

How can I fix this??
SG

Re: UAC Corrupted in SP1?
Birdman,

What do you mean by not working properly?
Are you getting UAC prompts, the programs won't start or what?
A little more info is needed to help you.

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

"BirdMan" <BirdMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After installing SP1, my user account was changed to standard user and
> many
> of the programs (including IE7) would not work properly AFTER I changed my
> user account back to Administrator.
>
> The other accounts that were Administrator and a new Administrator account
> would still not allow IE7 to work properly unless "run as Administrator".
>
> When I turn UAC off, the problems go away.
>
> How can I fix this??

BirdMan

Re: UAC Corrupted in SP1?
Good question!

All profiles on my PC are Administrator (except our "visitor" profile).

With UAC on:
IE7 has numerous script errors (20-30) on cnn.com
IE7 will not open links or pop-ups
IE7 will not show the Windows Discussion Community entries
McAfee will open with a blank window when opened in the Event Viewer
No UAC popup on several programs (including McAfee)

All of these are resolved if the programs are "run as Administrator". Yes,
IE7 needs to be "Run as Administrator" in order to have these features.

With UAC off:
All of these programs run as they are supposed to.

Of course, I don't want to run my computer with UAC off. SO, I'm wondering
if there is a way to reset the UAC values so that they are working as
designed.

If I create a new User Account with Administrator access, it acts in a
faulty fashion like all of the existing accounts.

Finally....prior to SP1 upgrade, none of these odd behaviors were present.
It was only AFTER upgrade that the program behavior changed.

I had numerous hours of MS SP1 assistance try to fix the OS in the usual
manner, including running IE7 as NO-Addon, Clean Boot, Disabling Addons.

I've also checked my machine with several Spyware/Malware/Virus programs to
make sure that I was not infected.

I cannot uninstall SP1 at this point, and my System Restore point back to
pre-SP1 was lost after the numerous attempts with MS SP1 help.

At this point, my only hope is that the UAC can be reset to default settings
or re-created or that one of the upcoming SP1 updates in April will fix the
problem.

I hope that helps.

"SG" wrote:

> Birdman,
>
> What do you mean by not working properly?
> Are you getting UAC prompts, the programs won't start or what?
> A little more info is needed to help you.
>
> --
> All the best,
> SG
>
> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
>
> "BirdMan" <BirdMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After installing SP1, my user account was changed to standard user and
> > many
> > of the programs (including IE7) would not work properly AFTER I changed my
> > user account back to Administrator.
> >
> > The other accounts that were Administrator and a new Administrator account
> > would still not allow IE7 to work properly unless "run as Administrator".
> >
> > When I turn UAC off, the problems go away.
> >
> > How can I fix this??

Bob

Re: UAC Corrupted in SP1?
McAfee is known to cause problems in Vista. Sometimes they don’t show up
immediately.
Replace McAfee with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
Defender. Disabling McAfee is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
it.
McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml
-------
*Report back, please*

> Good question!
>
> All profiles on my PC are Administrator (except our "visitor" profile).
>
> With UAC on:
> IE7 has numerous script errors (20-30) on cnn.com
> IE7 will not open links or pop-ups
> IE7 will not show the Windows Discussion Community entries
> McAfee will open with a blank window when opened in the Event Viewer
> No UAC popup on several programs (including McAfee)
>
> All of these are resolved if the programs are "run as Administrator".
> Yes,
> IE7 needs to be "Run as Administrator" in order to have these features.
>
> With UAC off:
> All of these programs run as they are supposed to.
>
> Of course, I don't want to run my computer with UAC off. SO, I'm
> wondering
> if there is a way to reset the UAC values so that they are working as
> designed.
>
> If I create a new User Account with Administrator access, it acts in a
> faulty fashion like all of the existing accounts.
>
> Finally....prior to SP1 upgrade, none of these odd behaviors were present.
> It was only AFTER upgrade that the program behavior changed.
>
> I had numerous hours of MS SP1 assistance try to fix the OS in the usual
> manner, including running IE7 as NO-Addon, Clean Boot, Disabling Addons.
>
> I've also checked my machine with several Spyware/Malware/Virus programs
> make sure that I was not infected.
>
> I cannot uninstall SP1 at this point, and my System Restore point back to
> pre-SP1 was lost after the numerous attempts with MS SP1 help.
>
> At this point, my only hope is that the UAC can be reset to default
> settings
> or re-created or that one of the upcoming SP1 updates in April will fix
> the
> problem.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> "SG" wrote:
>
>> Birdman,
>>
>> What do you mean by not working properly?
>> Are you getting UAC prompts, the programs won't start or what?
>> A little more info is needed to help you.
>>
>> --
>> All the best,
>> SG
>>
>> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
>> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
>>
>> "BirdMan" <BirdMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After installing SP1, my user account was changed to standard user and
>> > many
>> > of the programs (including IE7) would not work properly AFTER I changed
>> > my
>> > user account back to Administrator.
>> >
>> > The other accounts that were Administrator and a new Administrator
>> > account
>> > would still not allow IE7 to work properly unless "run as
>> > Administrator".
>> >
>> > When I turn UAC off, the problems go away.
>> >
>> > How can I fix this??

BirdMan

Re: UAC Corrupted in SP1?
Hi Bob -

Thank you for your suggestion.

However, I did completely remove McAfee including using the MCPR Tool. The
problem still exists without McAfee on my system....

I should have put that in the entry.

Thanks!

Jay

"Bob" wrote:

> McAfee is known to cause problems in Vista. Sometimes they don’t show up
> immediately.
> Replace McAfee with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
> Defender. Disabling McAfee is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
> it.
> McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml
> -------
> *Report back, please*
>

> "BirdMan" <BirdMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Good question!
> >
> > All profiles on my PC are Administrator (except our "visitor" profile).
> >
> > With UAC on:
> > IE7 has numerous script errors (20-30) on cnn.com
> > IE7 will not open links or pop-ups
> > IE7 will not show the Windows Discussion Community entries
> > McAfee will open with a blank window when opened in the Event Viewer
> > No UAC popup on several programs (including McAfee)
> >
> > All of these are resolved if the programs are "run as Administrator".
> > Yes,
> > IE7 needs to be "Run as Administrator" in order to have these features.
> >
> > With UAC off:
> > All of these programs run as they are supposed to.
> >
> > Of course, I don't want to run my computer with UAC off. SO, I'm
> > wondering
> > if there is a way to reset the UAC values so that they are working as
> > designed.
> >
> > If I create a new User Account with Administrator access, it acts in a
> > faulty fashion like all of the existing accounts.
> >
> > Finally....prior to SP1 upgrade, none of these odd behaviors were present.
> > It was only AFTER upgrade that the program behavior changed.
> >
> > I had numerous hours of MS SP1 assistance try to fix the OS in the usual
> > manner, including running IE7 as NO-Addon, Clean Boot, Disabling Addons.
> >
> > I've also checked my machine with several Spyware/Malware/Virus programs
> > make sure that I was not infected.
> >
> > I cannot uninstall SP1 at this point, and my System Restore point back to
> > pre-SP1 was lost after the numerous attempts with MS SP1 help.
> >
> > At this point, my only hope is that the UAC can be reset to default
> > settings
> > or re-created or that one of the upcoming SP1 updates in April will fix
> > the
> > problem.
> >
> > I hope that helps.
> >
> > "SG" wrote:
> >
> >> Birdman,
> >>
> >> What do you mean by not working properly?
> >> Are you getting UAC prompts, the programs won't start or what?
> >> A little more info is needed to help you.
> >>
> >> --
> >> All the best,
> >> SG
> >>
> >> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> >> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: UAC Corrupted in SP1?
> With UAC on:
> IE7 has numerous script errors (20-30) on cnn.com
> IE7 will not open links or pop-ups
> IE7 will not show the Windows Discussion Community entries
> McAfee will open with a blank window when opened in the Event Viewer
> No UAC popup on several programs (including McAfee)

Did you uninstall McAfee after or prior to installing SP1 ?
It appears that McAfee was actively monitoring the system when SP1 was
installed and that's the cause of UAC corruption.

> my user account was changed to standard user and many
> of the programs (including IE7) would not work properly AFTER I changed my
> user account back to Administrator.
>
> The other accounts that were Administrator and a new Administrator account
> would still not allow IE7 to work properly unless "run as Administrator".

Information for advanced users about the changes to the built-in
administrator account in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942956

None of the above accounts use the built-in Admin account. By default,
the built-in Admin account is disabled in a new installation of Vista.
The only way you are going to be able to NOT use 'run as admin' is to
enable the built-in Admin account which will lower security on the system:

HOW TO: Enable the build-in Administrator account in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555910

Perhaps someone else can suggest a way to fix UAC without necessitating
the reinstall of Vista.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BirdMan wrote:

> Hi Bob -
>
> Thank you for your suggestion.
>
> However, I did completely remove McAfee including using the MCPR Tool. The
> problem still exists without McAfee on my system....
>
> I should have put that in the entry.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jay
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>

>>McAfee is known to cause problems in Vista. Sometimes they don’t show up
>>immediately.
>>Replace McAfee with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
>>Defender. Disabling McAfee is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
>>it.
>>McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
>>http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml
>>-------
>>*Report back, please*
>>

>>"BirdMan" <BirdMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Good question!
>>>
>>>All profiles on my PC are Administrator (except our "visitor" profile).
>>>
>>>With UAC on:
>>> IE7 has numerous script errors (20-30) on cnn.com
>>> IE7 will not open links or pop-ups
>>> IE7 will not show the Windows Discussion Community entries
>>> McAfee will open with a blank window when opened in the Event Viewer
>>> No UAC popup on several programs (including McAfee)
>>>
>>>All of these are resolved if the programs are "run as Administrator".
>>>Yes,
>>>IE7 needs to be "Run as Administrator" in order to have these features.
>>>
>>>With UAC off:
>>> All of these programs run as they are supposed to.
>>>
>>>Of course, I don't want to run my computer with UAC off. SO, I'm
>>>wondering
>>>if there is a way to reset the UAC values so that they are working as
>>>designed.
>>>
>>>If I create a new User Account with Administrator access, it acts in a
>>>faulty fashion like all of the existing accounts.
>>>
>>>Finally....prior to SP1 upgrade, none of these odd behaviors were present.
>>>It was only AFTER upgrade that the program behavior changed.
>>>
>>>I had numerous hours of MS SP1 assistance try to fix the OS in the usual
>>>manner, including running IE7 as NO-Addon, Clean Boot, Disabling Addons.
>>>
>>>I've also checked my machine with several Spyware/Malware/Virus programs
>>>make sure that I was not infected.
>>>
>>>I cannot uninstall SP1 at this point, and my System Restore point back to
>>>pre-SP1 was lost after the numerous attempts with MS SP1 help.
>>>
>>>At this point, my only hope is that the UAC can be reset to default
>>>settings
>>>or re-created or that one of the upcoming SP1 updates in April will fix
>>>the
>>>problem.
>>>
>>>I hope that helps.

SG

Re: UAC Corrupted in SP1?
Added info for the KB555910 Article and I wish MS would change it.

Steps 4 and 5 from that Article...........
4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then
press ENTER.
5. Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press ENTER.
Note: Please replace the <Password> tag with your passwords which you want
to set to administrator account.

It's not necessary to place any password if the user so chooses in order to
enable the built-in Administrator account, you can skip step 5.

As for step 4, they do not explain how to disable the Admin account once
enabled and this should be done after whatever task one needs to do and logs
out of the Admin account.

To disable and set back to default.

Log off of the Admin account and back to your user account.
Follow steps 1 to 3 in that Article then for step 4 type the following:
net user administrator /active:no press Enter
Type Exit or simply close the command window.

--

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>> With UAC on:
>> IE7 has numerous script errors (20-30) on cnn.com
>> IE7 will not open links or pop-ups
>> IE7 will not show the Windows Discussion Community entries
>> McAfee will open with a blank window when opened in the Event Viewer
>> No UAC popup on several programs (including McAfee)

> Did you uninstall McAfee after or prior to installing SP1 ?
> It appears that McAfee was actively monitoring the system when SP1 was
> installed and that's the cause of UAC corruption.
>
>> my user account was changed to standard user and many of the programs
>> (including IE7) would not work properly AFTER I changed my user account
>> back to Administrator.
>>
>> The other accounts that were Administrator and a new Administrator
>> account would still not allow IE7 to work properly unless "run as
>> Administrator".

> Information for advanced users about the changes to the built-in
> administrator account in Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942956
>
> None of the above accounts use the built-in Admin account. By default, the
> built-in Admin account is disabled in a new installation of Vista. The
> only way you are going to be able to NOT use 'run as admin' is to enable
> the built-in Admin account which will lower security on the system:
>
> HOW TO: Enable the build-in Administrator account in Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555910
>
> Perhaps someone else can suggest a way to fix UAC without necessitating
> the reinstall of Vista.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> BirdMan wrote:
>
>> Hi Bob - Thank you for your suggestion.
>>
>> However, I did completely remove McAfee including using the MCPR Tool.
>> The problem still exists without McAfee on my system....
>>
>> I should have put that in the entry.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jay
>>
>> "Bob" wrote:
>>

>>>McAfee is known to cause problems in Vista. Sometimes they don’t show up
>>>immediately.
>>>Replace McAfee with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
>>>Windows Defender. Disabling McAfee is not enough. You need to completely
>>>uninstall it.
>>>McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
>>>http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml
>>>-------
>>>*Report back, please*

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: UAC Corrupted in SP1?
SG wrote:

> Added info for the KB555910 Article and I wish MS would change it.
>
> Steps 4 and 5 from that Article...........
> 4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and
> then press ENTER.
> 5. Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press ENTER.
> Note: Please replace the <Password> tag with your passwords which you
> want to set to administrator account.
>
> It's not necessary to place any password if the user so chooses in order
> to enable the built-in Administrator account, you can skip step 5.
>
> As for step 4, they do not explain how to disable the Admin account once
> enabled and this should be done after whatever task one needs to do and
> logs out of the Admin account.
>
> To disable and set back to default.
>
> Log off of the Admin account and back to your user account.
> Follow steps 1 to 3 in that Article then for step 4 type the following:
> net user administrator /active:no press Enter
> Type Exit or simply close the command window.

MS may change it if you submitted this information in the ' Provide
feedback on this article ' field on the bottom of the Community
Solutions article.
You did submit this worthwhile info, right ? <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
SG

Re: UAC Corrupted in SP1?
Thanks MowGreen, I just did and hope they do take a close look at it.

--

> SG wrote:
>
>> Added info for the KB555910 Article and I wish MS would change it.
>>
>> Steps 4 and 5 from that Article...........
>> 4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and
>> then press ENTER.
>> 5. Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press ENTER.
>> Note: Please replace the <Password> tag with your passwords which you
>> want to set to administrator account.
>>
>> It's not necessary to place any password if the user so chooses in order
>> to enable the built-in Administrator account, you can skip step 5.
>>
>> As for step 4, they do not explain how to disable the Admin account once
>> enabled and this should be done after whatever task one needs to do and
>> logs out of the Admin account.
>>
>> To disable and set back to default.
>>
>> Log off of the Admin account and back to your user account.
>> Follow steps 1 to 3 in that Article then for step 4 type the following:
>> net user administrator /active:no press Enter
>> Type Exit or simply close the command window.
>>

> MS may change it if you submitted this information in the ' Provide
> feedback on this article ' field on the bottom of the Community Solutions
> article.
> You did submit this worthwhile info, right ? <w>
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: UAC Corrupted in SP1?
Thanks to you to, SG and let's hope they include that info in the
article soon. <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten