Windows Defender will not auto start

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Andrew

Windows Defender will not auto start
System: Vista Business Edition, avast! free edition, Windows Firewall.
Windows Defender is set to Auto-start.

At start up, Security Centre gives me the message that Windows Defender is
not turned on, despite it being set to auto-start. Using Security Centre to
turn on WD results in a 5 mins+ search for updates, then it returns a
message saying no updates are available, and WD is still turned off.

WD starts from the "All Programs" menu with no problems.

Any ideas anyone?

TIA
Andrew

Robinb

Re: Windows Defender will not auto start
make sure you are not running MS One Care
it turns off WD
also if you are running it you need to remove avast because One Care has a
built in antivirus program and you cannot run 2 antivirus programs
robin
"Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
> System: Vista Business Edition, avast! free edition, Windows Firewall.
> Windows Defender is set to Auto-start.
>
> At start up, Security Centre gives me the message that Windows Defender is
> not turned on, despite it being set to auto-start. Using Security Centre
> to turn on WD results in a 5 mins+ search for updates, then it returns a
> message saying no updates are available, and WD is still turned off.
>
> WD starts from the "All Programs" menu with no problems.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> TIA
> Andrew

SG

Re: Windows Defender will not auto start
Robin,

No need to uninstall Avast, if you want you can simply disable it from
startup. Later if you decide to run it you can then disable whatever comes
with One Care and then run Avast.

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

"Robinb" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> make sure you are not running MS One Care
> it turns off WD
> also if you are running it you need to remove avast because One Care has a
> built in antivirus program and you cannot run 2 antivirus programs
> robin
> "Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
>> System: Vista Business Edition, avast! free edition, Windows Firewall.
>> Windows Defender is set to Auto-start.
>>
>> At start up, Security Centre gives me the message that Windows Defender
>> is not turned on, despite it being set to auto-start. Using Security
>> Centre to turn on WD results in a 5 mins+ search for updates, then it
>> returns a message saying no updates are available, and WD is still turned
>> off.
>>
>> WD starts from the "All Programs" menu with no problems.
>>
>> Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> TIA
>> Andrew

Robinb

Re: Windows Defender will not auto start
actually not exactly true
all virus protections even disabling them from running in startup will still
run in the backround in some form. I have seen them start a scan even when
not running in startup.
To be safe it is better to uninsall the 2nd virus protection.
There is really no reason to run two of them anyway- that is major overkill
robin
"SG" <sorry@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Robin,
>
> No need to uninstall Avast, if you want you can simply disable it from
> startup. Later if you decide to run it you can then disable whatever comes
> with One Care and then run Avast.
>
> --
> All the best,
> SG
>
> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
>
> "Robinb" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>> make sure you are not running MS One Care
>> it turns off WD
>> also if you are running it you need to remove avast because One Care has
>> a built in antivirus program and you cannot run 2 antivirus programs
>> robin
>> "Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
>>> System: Vista Business Edition, avast! free edition, Windows Firewall.
>>> Windows Defender is set to Auto-start.
>>>
>>> At start up, Security Centre gives me the message that Windows Defender
>>> is not turned on, despite it being set to auto-start. Using Security
>>> Centre to turn on WD results in a 5 mins+ search for updates, then it
>>> returns a message saying no updates are available, and WD is still
>>> turned off.
>>>
>>> WD starts from the "All Programs" menu with no problems.
>>>
>>> Any ideas anyone?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Andrew

Mick Murphy

Re: Windows Defender will not auto start
And Avast will refuse to install on a computer running another Anti-virus!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"SG" wrote:

> Robin,
>
> No need to uninstall Avast, if you want you can simply disable it from
> startup. Later if you decide to run it you can then disable whatever comes
> with One Care and then run Avast.
>
> --
> All the best,
> SG
>
> Is your computer system ready for Vista?
> https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
>
> "Robinb" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> > make sure you are not running MS One Care
> > it turns off WD
> > also if you are running it you need to remove avast because One Care has a
> > built in antivirus program and you cannot run 2 antivirus programs
> > robin
> > "Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
> >> System: Vista Business Edition, avast! free edition, Windows Firewall.
> >> Windows Defender is set to Auto-start.
> >>
> >> At start up, Security Centre gives me the message that Windows Defender
> >> is not turned on, despite it being set to auto-start. Using Security
> >> Centre to turn on WD results in a 5 mins+ search for updates, then it
> >> returns a message saying no updates are available, and WD is still turned
> >> off.
> >>
> >> WD starts from the "All Programs" menu with no problems.
> >>
> >> Any ideas anyone?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >> Andrew

Andrew

Re: Windows Defender will not auto start
Thanks everybody, but I am not running One Care.
See oringinal post:

Andrew

Re: Windows Defender will not auto start
Thanks everybody, but I am not running One Care. See original post:

Only one AV and there is no way I am turning it off.