SSL Certificates

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Gareth McAleese

SSL Certificates

I have an exchange/outlook web access server that has installed on it a self
signed certificate. In order to get Vista to trust the server I have
installed the root certificate used to sign the certificate. This works
fine, but every now and again vista seems to unload this certficate from the
trusted root certifcates store. I am not sure how this happens as it seems
to be random, sometimes it will do this several times a day, other times its
once a week.

Has anybody any ideas on how to resolve this - other than purchase a
certificate signed by a certificate authority.

Thanks,
Gareth

--
Gareth McAleese
gareth_mcaleese@hotmail.com

OKuma

Re: SSL Certificates
Question:

When you install the Root Certificate on the Vista machine, do you see a
Thumbprint dialog or just the Cert has been installed successfully?

OKuma

"Gareth McAleese" <gareth_mcaleese@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have an exchange/outlook web access server that has installed on it a
> self signed certificate. In order to get Vista to trust the server I have
> installed the root certificate used to sign the certificate. This works
> fine, but every now and again vista seems to unload this certficate from
> the trusted root certifcates store. I am not sure how this happens as it
> seems to be random, sometimes it will do this several times a day, other
> times its once a week.
>
> Has anybody any ideas on how to resolve this - other than purchase a
> certificate signed by a certificate authority.
>
> Thanks,
> Gareth
>
> --
> Gareth McAleese
> gareth_mcaleese@hotmail.com

Brian Komar [MVP]

Re: SSL Certificates
In article <eeUG0EbZHHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
gareth_mcaleese@hotmail.com says...

> I have an exchange/outlook web access server that has installed on it a self
> signed certificate. In order to get Vista to trust the server I have
> installed the root certificate used to sign the certificate. This works
> fine, but every now and again vista seems to unload this certficate from the
> trusted root certifcates store. I am not sure how this happens as it seems
> to be random, sometimes it will do this several times a day, other times its
> once a week.
>
> Has anybody any ideas on how to resolve this - other than purchase a
> certificate signed by a certificate authority.
>
> Thanks,
> Gareth
>
> --
> Gareth McAleese
> gareth_mcaleese@hotmail.com

1) Do not use a self-signed certificate in this case.
Why not set up an internal use PKI.
2) Assuming you are in a domain/forest environment, you
should consider centralizing distribution of the root
certificate. You can do this through GPO (Public Key
Policies) or by publishing the cert into AD in the
configuration context:

certutil -dspublish -f <certfile.cer> RootCA

Brian