Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Local Vista User Account using Domain Security Pol?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2008
Noob
 

Posts: n/a
Local Vista User Account using Domain Security Pol?
Ok, Simple question.

I have a Local User Account created on a Vista Business computer. This
Vista system is on our Domain. I need to have this local account NOT
use the Domain password policies.

I am NOT able to go in and edit or change these with the Local
Security Policy (They are grayed out).
I am using a Domain Admin account.

How do I change this?

All I really want to do is remove these for this local account
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2008
Jesper
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Local Vista User Account using Domain Security Pol?
This happens when you have a GPO applied to an OU that contains this
computer, and the GPO sets password policy. In other words, locally, no you
can't do anything as this is enforced using GPOs.

If you are the domain admin, however, you can restructure your GPOs. One
option would be to create a new OU for computers that should not have this
policy. Then either make sure this GPO does not apply to that OU, or set a
new GPO that overrides this one.
---
Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20


"Noob" wrote:

> Ok, Simple question.
>
> I have a Local User Account created on a Vista Business computer. This
> Vista system is on our Domain. I need to have this local account NOT
> use the Domain password policies.
>
> I am NOT able to go in and edit or change these with the Local
> Security Policy (They are grayed out).
> I am using a Domain Admin account.
>
> How do I change this?
>
> All I really want to do is remove these for this local account
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2008
Hank Arnold (MVP)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Local Vista User Account using Domain Security Pol?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there is only one password
GPO for a domain. You can't have different ones for each OU...

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services

Jesper wrote:
> This happens when you have a GPO applied to an OU that contains this
> computer, and the GPO sets password policy. In other words, locally, no you
> can't do anything as this is enforced using GPOs.
>
> If you are the domain admin, however, you can restructure your GPOs. One
> option would be to create a new OU for computers that should not have this
> policy. Then either make sure this GPO does not apply to that OU, or set a
> new GPO that overrides this one.
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>
>
> "Noob" wrote:
>
>> Ok, Simple question.
>>
>> I have a Local User Account created on a Vista Business computer. This
>> Vista system is on our Domain. I need to have this local account NOT
>> use the Domain password policies.
>>
>> I am NOT able to go in and edit or change these with the Local
>> Security Policy (They are grayed out).
>> I am using a Domain Admin account.
>>
>> How do I change this?
>>
>> All I really want to do is remove these for this local account
>>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2008
Paul Adare
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Local Vista User Account using Domain Security Pol?
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 04:22:32 -0400, Hank Arnold (MVP) wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there is only one password
> GPO for a domain. You can't have different ones for each OU...


Jesper is talking about GPOs that contain password policies that are linked
some where other than at the domain level. Such GPOs will not affect domain
accounts but will affect accounts in the local SAM of any computer which
processes such GPOs.

>
> Jesper wrote:
>> This happens when you have a GPO applied to an OU that contains this
>> computer, and the GPO sets password policy. In other words, locally, no you
>> can't do anything as this is enforced using GPOs.
>>
>> If you are the domain admin, however, you can restructure your GPOs. One
>> option would be to create a new OU for computers that should not have this
>> policy. Then either make sure this GPO does not apply to that OU, or set a
>> new GPO that overrides this one.
>> ---
>> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>>
>>
>> "Noob" wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, Simple question.
>>>
>>> I have a Local User Account created on a Vista Business computer. This
>>> Vista system is on our Domain. I need to have this local account NOT
>>> use the Domain password policies.
>>>
>>> I am NOT able to go in and edit or change these with the Local
>>> Security Policy (They are grayed out).
>>> I am using a Domain Admin account.
>>>
>>> How do I change this?
>>>
>>> All I really want to do is remove these for this local account
>>>



--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
http://www.identit.ca
The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2008
Noob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Local Vista User Account using Domain Security Pol?
hmm, I was afraid that was the case. I really only need to change the
local pol for the local account.

I can restructure our AD and remove the systems from that GPO i was
just wanting to find a quick way out. This is only for 3 systems that
need to have a local account with a set password due to a custom app.

Thanks for the info.

Was this the same with XP Pro?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cant add domain account local folder permissions Id10t Windows Vista Business 1 09-04-2009 17:10
Failed to logon with domain user to Vista after copy local profile Sabawee microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 0 11-29-2007 14:13
Article ID: 940475 In Windows Vista, you cannot access rights-protected content by using a local user account from a computer that is located outside the domain KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Transfering Settings from Domain Account to Local Account John microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 0 06-14-2007 17:29
domain user can't be local administrator? flyzone@technologist.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-02-2007 15:17




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:16.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120