Software installation problems with Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Donchano

Software installation problems with Vista
First of all, my apologies if crossposting is not acceptable or if I'm
not posting to the right group. Please let me know.

Comp: Toshiba Satellite M200 laptop
OS: Windows Vista Home Basic (without SP1 installed)

OK - A friend's computer. She hasn't used it in the six months since I
helped her buy it, so it hasn't been online.

Before I go online to download updates like SP1, I want to install a
firewall. I've downloaded Comodo's latest free firewall for Win32 as
well as various freeware antivirus and antispyware software.

The problem is trying to install ANY of these programmes.

When I double-click the installation file a window pops up telling me
that the installation programme has stopped working. I've disabled
Windows worthless firewall, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Any advice on how I can install security software on this computer
would be greatly appreciated. I use WXPpro, so I don't have these
problems on my PC.

Spirit

Re: Software installation problems with Vista
Use the Windows Firewall until after SP1 in installed.... and I doubt
she needs more than it anyway.

Update ALL drivers before attempting SP1.

http://snipurl.com/22cqz [www_csd_toshiba_com]
Select your model here.

"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
> First of all, my apologies if crossposting is not acceptable or if I'm
> not posting to the right group. Please let me know.
>
> Comp: Toshiba Satellite M200 laptop
> OS: Windows Vista Home Basic (without SP1 installed)
>
> OK - A friend's computer. She hasn't used it in the six months since I
> helped her buy it, so it hasn't been online.
>
> Before I go online to download updates like SP1, I want to install a
> firewall. I've downloaded Comodo's latest free firewall for Win32 as
> well as various freeware antivirus and antispyware software.
>
> The problem is trying to install ANY of these programmes.
>
> When I double-click the installation file a window pops up telling me
> that the installation programme has stopped working. I've disabled
> Windows worthless firewall, but that doesn't solve the problem.
>
> Any advice on how I can install security software on this computer
> would be greatly appreciated. I use WXPpro, so I don't have these
> problems on my PC.

Spirit

Re: Software installation problems with Vista
Also to install A|NY programs in Vista - RIGHT CLICK on
program and select RUN AS ADMIN.

"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
> First of all, my apologies if crossposting is not acceptable or if I'm
> not posting to the right group. Please let me know.
>
> Comp: Toshiba Satellite M200 laptop
> OS: Windows Vista Home Basic (without SP1 installed)
>
> OK - A friend's computer. She hasn't used it in the six months since I
> helped her buy it, so it hasn't been online.
>
> Before I go online to download updates like SP1, I want to install a
> firewall. I've downloaded Comodo's latest free firewall for Win32 as
> well as various freeware antivirus and antispyware software.
>
> The problem is trying to install ANY of these programmes.
>
> When I double-click the installation file a window pops up telling me
> that the installation programme has stopped working. I've disabled
> Windows worthless firewall, but that doesn't solve the problem.
>
> Any advice on how I can install security software on this computer
> would be greatly appreciated. I use WXPpro, so I don't have these
> problems on my PC.

Spirit

Re: Software installation problems with Vista
Also to install A|NY programs in Vista - RIGHT CLICK on
program and select RUN AS ADMIN.

"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
> First of all, my apologies if crossposting is not acceptable or if I'm
> not posting to the right group. Please let me know.
>
> Comp: Toshiba Satellite M200 laptop
> OS: Windows Vista Home Basic (without SP1 installed)
>
> OK - A friend's computer. She hasn't used it in the six months since I
> helped her buy it, so it hasn't been online.
>
> Before I go online to download updates like SP1, I want to install a
> firewall. I've downloaded Comodo's latest free firewall for Win32 as
> well as various freeware antivirus and antispyware software.
>
> The problem is trying to install ANY of these programmes.
>
> When I double-click the installation file a window pops up telling me
> that the installation programme has stopped working. I've disabled
> Windows worthless firewall, but that doesn't solve the problem.
>
> Any advice on how I can install security software on this computer
> would be greatly appreciated. I use WXPpro, so I don't have these
> problems on my PC.

Donchano

Re: Software installation problems with Vista
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:37:55 -0700, "Spirit" <noone@notthere.net>
magnanimously proffered:

>Also to install A|NY programs in Vista - RIGHT CLICK on
>program and select RUN AS ADMIN.

Many thanks. That solved the problem.

>"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
>news:gv30v3lgq1nigothgf405psfhg35nspc2t@4ax.com.. .
>>
>> Comp: Toshiba Satellite M200 laptop
>> OS: Windows Vista Home Basic (without SP1 installed)
>>
>> Before I go online to download updates like SP1, I want to install a
>> firewall. I've downloaded Comodo's latest free firewall for Win32 as
>> well as various freeware antivirus and antispyware software.
>>
>> The problem is trying to install ANY of these programmes.
>>
>> When I double-click the installation file a window pops up telling me
>> that the installation programme has stopped working. I've disabled
>> Windows worthless firewall, but that doesn't solve the problem.
>>
>> Any advice on how I can install security software on this computer
>> would be greatly appreciated. I use WXPpro, so I don't have these
>> problems on my PC.

C.B.

Re: Software installation problems with Vista

"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
> First of all, my apologies if crossposting is not acceptable or if I'm
> not posting to the right group. Please let me know.
>
> Comp: Toshiba Satellite M200 laptop
> OS: Windows Vista Home Basic (without SP1 installed)
>
> OK - A friend's computer. She hasn't used it in the six months since I
> helped her buy it, so it hasn't been online.
>
> Before I go online to download updates like SP1, I want to install a
> firewall. I've downloaded Comodo's latest free firewall for Win32 as
> well as various freeware antivirus and antispyware software.
>
> The problem is trying to install ANY of these programmes.
>
> When I double-click the installation file a window pops up telling me
> that the installation programme has stopped working. I've disabled
> Windows worthless firewall, but that doesn't solve the problem.
>
> Any advice on how I can install security software on this computer
> would be greatly appreciated. I use WXPpro, so I don't have these
> problems on my PC.

Donchano,

A little advice about Comodo's firewall: Since November of 2007 I had
many problems installing updates from WU. The updates would install
successfully but then some time after a reboot the updates would uninstall
and then become available again. I could only install the updates after
completely uninstalling the Comodo firewall first. I would then reinstall
Comodo.
If you have future problems with updates not installing, or installing
and then becoming available for installation again you should try completely
uninstalling your Comodo firewall prior to updating.
Comodo informed me many times that the problems were fixed but I found
this to be untrue. Perhaps Comodo has finally fixed the problem. I don't
know because I won't use their firewall again. I am satisfied with the
native Windows firewall.
Please don't misunderstand me. I think Comodo is a very good firewall.
I liked it better than any other firewall I tried. If I had not had the
associated problems I would still be using it. I think you will be very
satisfied with it.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Charles Tomaras

Re: Software installation problems with Vista

"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message

> When I double-click the installation file a window pops up telling me
> that the installation programme has stopped working. I've disabled
> Windows worthless firewall, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Just out of curiously why have you deemed the Windows firewall in Vista
worthless? You say you are not a Vista user. Have you or someone whom you
have supported on Vista had some sort of problem or incursion with the Vista
firewall? Do you have some dying need to install a third party product to
replace anything that comes from Microsoft? Sounds to me like your friend is
not the most experienced computer user. My suggestion for security and
updates would be to go with something simple and secure like Windows Live
One Care. Takes all the work out of staying safe and up to date, especially
for folks who don't want to deal with all the hassles of third party
solutions.

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-...dsch&WT.srch=1

Free 90 day trial.

Straight Talk

Re: Software installation problems with Vista
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:18:55 +1300, Donchano
<donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote:

>Before I go online to download updates like SP1, I want to install a
>firewall.

Huh??? - Vista already comes with a decent one.

>I've downloaded Comodo's latest free firewall for Win32 as
>well as various freeware antivirus and antispyware software.

Fine. And now, what are you planning to do in terms on security?

>The problem is trying to install ANY of these programmes.

You should be happy about that.

>When I double-click the installation file a window pops up telling me
>that the installation programme has stopped working. I've disabled
>Windows worthless firewall, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Calling the windows firewall worthless says more about you than
anything else.

>Any advice on how I can install security software on this computer
>would be greatly appreciated.

Your ignorance makes your idea of even "securing a computer" moot.

>I use WXPpro, so I don't have these problems on my PC.

But it doesn't keep you from bashing stuff you don't understand. Get a
clue.
Charles Tomaras

newsntdv3p5ldqndq302lo3lcmdb793tj7c4s@4ax.com...

> Besides, I don't want my friend's computer protected by just a
> "decent" firewall, I want it protected by the best freeware firewall
> available (according to independent reviews) - and the best is
> definitely is not Vista's firewall.
>
> To put it another way, I have used Vista on my friend's laptop for the
> past week and I have to agree that it is an unmitigated disaster and
> that I am justified in not trusting Vista's firewall any more than I
> trust the operating system itself.

Even if all of your firewall effectiveness data is founded, I don't think
that computers with decent firewalls are being targeted all that much. The
malicious hackers/thieves/spammers out there are looking for NO FIREWALL or
for higher value targets. Whatever third party solution you install for your
novice friend you will from my experience end up having to support because
novices have a tendency to screw stuff up. My suggestion of using One Care
is a very effective way of providing fairly automated protection from
malicious attacks as well as basic maintenance including functional and
security updates, hard drive defragmentation and junk file removal. It's
also very good at alerting novices that there is something wrong or in need
of attention. The family and acquaintance computers that I've installed it
on have been purring along quite nicely with a minimum of "support" from me.
It's free to try for 90 days and you just might be surprised at what a
nicely integrated low overhead solution it provides. "All things Microsoft"
do not suck, and I think One Care has developed quite nicely in the two or
so years since they purchased the basic technology that it's based on (can't
remember the name of the company now?)

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA

Gordon

Re: Software installation problems with Vista
"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
newsntdv3p5ldqndq302lo3lcmdb793tj7c4s@4ax.com...

> To put it another way, I have used Vista on my friend's laptop for the
> past week and I have to agree that it is an unmitigated disaster

Eh? I have used Vista for two weeks on MY laptop (having had XP before) and
I can truthfully say it is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT successful!