windows defender is a joke!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Stephanie Stewart

windows defender is a joke!
My brand new computer has a virus and I used windows defender to delete it
and everytime it gets done scanning it says an error has occured and I can't
even delete the program that has the virus. I'm really upset that to even get
help with this, i have to pay 60.00 for "advanced support." Vista is starting
to SUCK.
does anyone have any advice?
Doomer

Re: windows defender is a joke!
Windows Defender isn't an antivirus application.

They only try to monitor start registry and hooks registrers to disallow
spywares and worms to install itself.

Ivan Carlos - Chief Information & Security Officer
E-mail / Skype / WLM: icarlos@icarlos.net
Cell.: +55 (11) 8112-0666

Stephanie Stewart wrote:
> My brand new computer has a virus and I used windows defender to delete it
> and everytime it gets done scanning it says an error has occured and I can't
> even delete the program that has the virus. I'm really upset that to even get
> help with this, i have to pay 60.00 for "advanced support." Vista is starting
> to SUCK.
> does anyone have any advice?

DL

Re: windows defender is a joke!
You need a dedicated anti virus application, or a dedicated internet
security application
Kaspersky appears to do well in various reviews
For Spyware/trojans, use MS Defender, SpyBot & Adaware - all free & use them
all on a regular basis, depending on your browsing/download habits

Think for a minute, if MS included a anti virus app with its Vista, how long
would it be before an Anti Competative action would be launched by the
Companies that produce dedicated applications, as it MS is taking a risk
with Defender
BTW OneCare has had some abysmal reviews
Most, if not all, Viruses are installed by the user actions or inactions

"Stephanie Stewart" <Stephanie Stewart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A4F4A403-FD0A-405E-80B9-D6C4361F96E2@microsoft.com...
> My brand new computer has a virus and I used windows defender to delete it
> and everytime it gets done scanning it says an error has occured and I
> can't
> even delete the program that has the virus. I'm really upset that to even
> get
> help with this, i have to pay 60.00 for "advanced support." Vista is
> starting
> to SUCK.
> does anyone have any advice?

Kayman

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:11:00 -0700, Stephanie Stewart wrote:

> My brand new computer has a virus and I used windows defender to delete it
> and everytime it gets done scanning it says an error has occured and I can't
> even delete the program that has the virus. I'm really upset that to even get
> help with this, i have to pay 60.00 for "advanced support." Vista is starting
> to SUCK.
> does anyone have any advice?

You need to educate yourself with respect to AV/A-S applications.

Real-time AV applications - for viral malware.
Do not utilize more than one (1) real-time anti-virus scanning engine!
Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom
Installation on some AV apps.) as it provides no additional protection.
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
In fact, most of experts (incl. Norton) believe that scanning incoming and
outgoing mail causes e-mail file corruption.

Avira AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic - Free
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html
You may wish to consider removing the 'AntiVir Nagscreen'
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm
or
Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
or
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/
(Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)
or
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser
or
ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/
and (optional)
On-demand AV application.
(add it to your arsenal and use it as a "second opinion" av scanner).
BitDefender10 Free Edition
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html

A-S applications - for non-viral malware.
The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging and
oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software that
cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need multiple
products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch what
another may miss, (grab'em all).

SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
and
Ad-Aware 2007 - Free
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
and
Spybot Search & Destroy - Free
and
Windows Defender - Free (build-in in Vista)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
Interesting reading:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136195/article.html
"...Windows Defender did excel in behavior-based protection, which detects
changes to key areas of the system without having to know anything about
the actual threat."

After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
Mode.

Some more useful applications:
SpywareBlaster - Free
SpywareBlaster is not a scanner application. It blocks the installation of
most ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers and other
unwanted programs from the user's computer. SpywareBlaster works by
blacklisting the CLSID of known malware programs, effectively preventing
them from infecting a protected computer and also allows the user to
prevent privacy hazards such as tracking cookies.

Rootkit Revealer - Free
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...tRevealer.mspx

Crap Cleaner - Free
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
uncheck "Windows Defender".

CW Shredder - Free
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...Shredder.shtml
DevilsPGD

Re: windows defender is a joke!
In message <A4F4A403-FD0A-405E-80B9-D6C4361F96E2@microsoft.com>
Stephanie Stewart <Stephanie Stewart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My brand new computer has a virus and I used windows defender to delete it
>and everytime it gets done scanning it says an error has occured and I can't
>even delete the program that has the virus. I'm really upset that to even get
>help with this, i have to pay 60.00 for "advanced support." Vista is starting
>to SUCK.
>does anyone have any advice?

I'd suggest not installing viruses in the first place.
fred

RE: windows defender is a joke!
i'm no expert, but restoring the system might work. you can take the computer
back to an earlier state, like last wednesday. to do this u turn on the
computer and at the dell logo screen u tap the F8 key than restore. it might
work?
Kayman

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:45:00 -0700, fred wrote:

> i'm no expert, but restoring the system might work.

<snip>
Restoring the system won't remove the virus.
What?

Kayman wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:45:00 -0700, fred wrote:
>
>> i'm no expert, but restoring the system might work.

> <snip>
> Restoring the system won't remove the virus.

It's just a little fyi.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...mt/sm0504.mspx
Kayman

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:25:46 +0700, Kayman wrote:

> [...]

> the actual threat."
>
> After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
> Mode.
>
> Some more useful applications:
> SpywareBlaster - Free
> SpywareBlaster is not a scanner application. It blocks the installation of
> most ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers and other
> unwanted programs from the user's computer. SpywareBlaster works by
> blacklisting the CLSID of known malware programs, effectively preventing
> them from infecting a protected computer and also allows the user to
> prevent privacy hazards such as tracking cookies.
>
> Rootkit Revealer - Free
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...tRevealer.mspx
>
> Crap Cleaner - Free
> http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
> If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities

In addition you could download The PC Decrapifier
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download
"The PC Decrapifier will uninstall many of the common trialware and
annoyances found on many of the PCs from big name OEMs."

And a HijackThis scan may be in order.
Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...HJTInstall.exe

Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

NOTE: Registration is required in any of the below before posting a log

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
Kayman

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:47:41 -0400, What? wrote:

> Kayman wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:45:00 -0700, fred wrote:
>>
>>> i'm no expert, but restoring the system might work.

>> <snip>
>> Restoring the system won't remove the virus.

> It's just a little fyi.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...mt/sm0504.mspx

"The only way to clean a compromised system is to flatten and rebuild".

I am aware of this and wouldn't dispute the fact that this is a 'preferred'
course of action. However, not everyone is proficient to do so (I don't
think the OP is, nor is she inclined spending $'s to get professional
assistance). Pending on infestation severity one has a good chance removing
viruses by using quality removel tools/techniques. So, at this stage the
advice she's got is pretty good.
BTW,you do know the difference between *flatten/rebuild* OS and *restoring*
a system using the *System Restore* function, don't you?