IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

BobF

IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup

Everytime I start Internet Explorer the screen flashes 20 or 30
windows with title "Windows Installer". After that, it works fine.

This began happening after installing Vista64 with SP1. The first
time I started IE after the install UAC prompted me about 30 times
to allow Google toolbar, Flash, and HP to give administrative access.
Every subsequent time I just get the flashing.

Long ago I relocated the folders in my User folder to the D: drive.

I'm suspicous this is a security thing perhaps related to permissions
of the re-located folders, or a missing relocated folder, or one in an
unexpected place but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Any suggestions?

--
BobF
Smithsonian

Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup
Whats you "D" drive? (if its just another volume ignore)
Disable UAC ( control panel < search for UAC )
I dont think this will solve any problems but move your users folder back to
your C

"BobF" <BobF.370202@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Everytime I start Internet Explorer the screen flashes 20 or 30
> windows with title "Windows Installer". After that, it works fine.
>
> This began happening after installing Vista64 with SP1. The first
> time I started IE after the install UAC prompted me about 30 times
> to allow Google toolbar, Flash, and HP to give administrative access.
> Every subsequent time I just get the flashing.
>
> Long ago I relocated the folders in my User folder to the D: drive.
>
> I'm suspicous this is a security thing perhaps related to permissions
> of the re-located folders, or a missing relocated folder, or one in an
> unexpected place but I haven't been able to figure it out.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> --
> BobF

Bob

Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup

On HP computers the D: drive is a recovery partition on the main hard drive
that should only be used for System Recovery.
It should never be used to store files. Read your computer documentation.

The Google toolbar is known to cause problems in Vista. I suggest you get
rid of it.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"BobF" <BobF.370202@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Everytime I start Internet Explorer the screen flashes 20 or 30
> windows with title "Windows Installer". After that, it works fine.
>
> This began happening after installing Vista64 with SP1. The first
> time I started IE after the install UAC prompted me about 30 times
> to allow Google toolbar, Flash, and HP to give administrative access.
> Every subsequent time I just get the flashing.
>
> Long ago I relocated the folders in my User folder to the D: drive.
>
> I'm suspicous this is a security thing perhaps related to permissions
> of the re-located folders, or a missing relocated folder, or one in an
> unexpected place but I haven't been able to figure it out.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> --
> BobF

BobF

Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup

I previously was running Vista64 with pre-release SP1 since Christmas
and had no problems with IE, esp not google toolbar. Same disk
configuration. The D: drive is just another disk on my server separate
from teh C: drive where Vista64 is installed.

This problem started when I upgraded to release SP1.

--
BobF
Bob F.

Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup
I am trying to read into what you wrote and want to make sure of something.
On a Vista system, the D: drive is special and reserved for a recovery drive
for Vista. You should not move it, tamper with it, add files, or use it for
anything else. If you have another server drive mapped to D: this could
cause an unknown condition. So what is it that we have here?

--
Regards, BobF.
(with a period)
"BobF" <BobF.371he1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I previously was running Vista64 with pre-release SP1 since Christmas
> and had no problems with IE, esp not google toolbar. Same disk
> configuration. The D: drive is just another disk on my server separate
> from teh C: drive where Vista64 is installed.
>
> This problem started when I upgraded to release SP1.
>

> --
> BobF

Bob

Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup
If uninstalling the Google toolbar does not solve your problem, I suggest
you rollback SP1.
**When posting, please quote relevant information so that others know what
you’re talking about.**
-------
*Report back, please*