Disable Default Share

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Johnny

Disable Default Share
How do i disable default share?

Admin$
C$
D$

Johnny
Phillip Drummond

Re: Disable Default Share
via the registry. google turns up a BILLION examples... i guess you missed
them all when you searched?

"Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do i disable default share?
>
> Admin$
> C$
> D$
>
> Johnny

Johnny

Re: Disable Default Share
I tried them out already, they are for XP. Vista did not work for me.
Which one did you try that work for you?
Can you send to me the link?

Johnny

"Phillip Drummond" wrote:

> via the registry. google turns up a BILLION examples... i guess you missed
> them all when you searched?
>

> "Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do i disable default share?
> >
> > Admin$
> > C$
> > D$
> >
> > Johnny

Jesper

Re: Disable Default Share
Here are a couple of the MANY articles that pop up in a search:
http://emea.windowsitpro.com/article...e-created.html

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_admin...ive_shares.htm

Would it be considered impertinent to ask why you are even considering this,
in light of the facts that:
a) these shares are only accessible by administrators
b) by default administrators cannot connect remotely as administrators on
stand-alone Vista machines
c) if you enable administrators to connect remotely as administrators, they
can remotely re-enable all these shares, or create any other share they wish,
even if these shares are disabled
d) the firewall blocks access to all shares by default

---

"Johnny" wrote:

> I tried them out already, they are for XP. Vista did not work for me.
> Which one did you try that work for you?
> Can you send to me the link?
>
> Johnny
>
> "Phillip Drummond" wrote:
>
> > via the registry. google turns up a BILLION examples... i guess you missed
> > them all when you searched?
> >

> > "Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How do i disable default share?
> > >
> > > Admin$
> > > C$
> > > D$
> > >
> > > Johnny

Johnny

Re: Disable Default Share
Let's say I have two computers, 1 laptop and 1 desktop.
If laptop types \\desktop\c$, a dialog will pop up asking for username and
password.
I don't want to give the remote user a chance to prompt this question. I
don't want no one to have a chance to work on the password possibility.
that's why I just want to disable the default share.

The first link is for Windows NT, the article was released on Nov 26, 2004
(Are you sure this will work for Vista?)

The second link I tried last year when I got my Vista, it did not work, but
it worked with XP.

Johnny

"Jesper" wrote:

> Here are a couple of the MANY articles that pop up in a search:
> http://emea.windowsitpro.com/article...e-created.html
>

> http://www.petri.co.il/disable_admin...ive_shares.htm
>
> Would it be considered impertinent to ask why you are even considering this,
> in light of the facts that:
> a) these shares are only accessible by administrators
> b) by default administrators cannot connect remotely as administrators on
> stand-alone Vista machines
> c) if you enable administrators to connect remotely as administrators, they
> can remotely re-enable all these shares, or create any other share they wish,
> even if these shares are disabled
> d) the firewall blocks access to all shares by default
>

> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "Johnny" wrote:
>
> > I tried them out already, they are for XP. Vista did not work for me.
> > Which one did you try that work for you?
> > Can you send to me the link?
> >
> > Johnny
> >
> > "Phillip Drummond" wrote:
> >
> > > via the registry. google turns up a BILLION examples... i guess you missed
> > > them all when you searched?

Jesper

Re: Disable Default Share
Assuming you have not modified the default state of your Vista box, they
won't be able to work on the password that way. even if they succeed in
mapping those shares they will get an access denied because the generated
tokens do not have permissions to map those shares.

The mechanism, assuming it still exists, which I am not sure it does, would
be the same. However, since the firewall blocks all shares by default it may
have been removed since removing the admin shares is superfluous now. I'll
play with it a little tonight and see.
---

"Johnny" wrote:

> Let's say I have two computers, 1 laptop and 1 desktop.
> If laptop types \\desktop\c$, a dialog will pop up asking for username and
> password.
> I don't want to give the remote user a chance to prompt this question. I
> don't want no one to have a chance to work on the password possibility.
> that's why I just want to disable the default share.
>
> The first link is for Windows NT, the article was released on Nov 26, 2004
> (Are you sure this will work for Vista?)
>
> The second link I tried last year when I got my Vista, it did not work, but
> it worked with XP.
>
> Johnny
>

> "Jesper" wrote:
>
> > Here are a couple of the MANY articles that pop up in a search:
> > http://emea.windowsitpro.com/article...e-created.html
> >

> > http://www.petri.co.il/disable_admin...ive_shares.htm
> >
> > Would it be considered impertinent to ask why you are even considering this,
> > in light of the facts that:
> > a) these shares are only accessible by administrators
> > b) by default administrators cannot connect remotely as administrators on
> > stand-alone Vista machines
> > c) if you enable administrators to connect remotely as administrators, they
> > can remotely re-enable all these shares, or create any other share they wish,
> > even if these shares are disabled
> > d) the firewall blocks access to all shares by default
> >

> > ---
> > Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
> >

> > "Johnny" wrote:
> >
> > > I tried them out already, they are for XP. Vista did not work for me.
> > > Which one did you try that work for you?
> > > Can you send to me the link?
> > >
> > > Johnny

rezg1980

Re: Disable Default Share

hello jesper if i have domain stc.com i want to close the default share
in the network c$ itry every thing please tell me what i do step by
step thanks

--
rezg1980