Unknown Running Process

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Michael

Unknown Running Process
I have an unknown running process on my computer called "Andrea RT Filters
Service". It runs as a Windows servce on start up. I googled it and come up
with "Andrea Electronics Corporation". When I contacted them to see if I
could get some information about the application. they replied that the do
not own or distrubute any application by this name. I have stopped the
service and disabled it and there seems to be no side effects. Can someone
please tell me what this process is?
Malke

Re: Unknown Running Process
Michael wrote:

> I have an unknown running process on my computer called "Andrea RT Filters
> Service". It runs as a Windows servce on start up. I googled it and come
> up
> with "Andrea Electronics Corporation". When I contacted them to see if I
> could get some information about the application. they replied that the do
> not own or distrubute any application by this name. I have stopped the
> service and disabled it and there seems to be no side effects. Can
> someone please tell me what this process is?

I have seen something similar on a client's machine and it was related to
some third-party speech recognition software preinstalled by the computer
mftr. Can't remember offhand exactly what it was, but since he never used
the speech recognition program we turned it off.

If you have an OEM machine and this scenario might be applicable to you,
manage your Startup matrix and turn off the program that requires the
service. Then Start Orb>Search Box>type: services.msc (run the result that
will appear) and change the service from "Automatic" to "Manual" if not
already that way.

Start Orb>Start Search box>msconfig [enter]

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
type the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab.
You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get
a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be
blocked by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then
tick the box that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes.
Instead, use Start>Run>services.msc [enter] and do not stop any services
unless you really, really know what you're doing.

The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx - Autoruns

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
RalfG

Re: Unknown Running Process
According to http://www.runscanner.net/files/exe/...disrv.exe.aspx
and http://www.castlecops.com/o23list-3158.html this company
http://www.andreaelectronics.com/ does provide multimedia hardware and
drivers that run under windows. The service you mentioned isn't specifically
mentioned at the sites above but it could well be required as part of your
audio system drivers.

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an unknown running process on my computer called "Andrea RT Filters
> Service". It runs as a Windows servce on start up. I googled it and come
> up
> with "Andrea Electronics Corporation". When I contacted them to see if I
> could get some information about the application. they replied that the do
> not own or distrubute any application by this name. I have stopped the
> service and disabled it and there seems to be no side effects. Can
> someone
> please tell me what this process is?

Ray

Re: Unknown Running Process
=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?= <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have an unknown running process on my computer called "Andrea RT
> Filters Service". It runs as a Windows servce on start up. I
> googled it and come up with "Andrea Electronics Corporation".
> When I contacted them to see if I could get some information about
> the application. they replied that the do not own or distrubute
> any application by this name. I have stopped the service and
> disabled it and there seems to be no side effects. Can someone
> please tell me what this process is?

The same or similar process, aertsrv.exe, was installed on my system
when I updated my Realtek audio drivers. I disabled it and as far as I
can tell all the audio functions still work.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
Michael

Re: Unknown Running Process
I bought my computer from Dell and on thier drivers disk I installed the
Realtek Audio drivers. But why would they say they don't own or distribute
this application? Anyway, you guys did help me figure it out. I have
diabled the service with not side effects. Thank you.

"Ray" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?= <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have an unknown running process on my computer called "Andrea RT
> > Filters Service". It runs as a Windows servce on start up. I
> > googled it and come up with "Andrea Electronics Corporation".
> > When I contacted them to see if I could get some information about
> > the application. they replied that the do not own or distrubute
> > any application by this name. I have stopped the service and
> > disabled it and there seems to be no side effects. Can someone
> > please tell me what this process is?

> The same or similar process, aertsrv.exe, was installed on my system
> when I updated my Realtek audio drivers. I disabled it and as far as I
> can tell all the audio functions still work.
>
> --
> Ray
> (remove the Xs to reply)

Ray

Re: Unknown Running Process
=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?= <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I bought my computer from Dell and on thier drivers disk I
> installed the Realtek Audio drivers. But why would they say they
> don't own or distribute this application? Anyway, you guys did
> help me figure it out. I have diabled the service with not side
> effects. Thank you.

Probably your inquiry was routed to someone who isn't up to date on
their products. My system is also a Dell; I had downloaded the update
from Dell.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
Michael

Re: Unknown Running Process
Well maybe they are in the wrong business. Thank you for all your help!!