-- firewall --

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Edmundo J. Davila

-- firewall --
Hello,

What exception should I create in windows xp or vista firewall to get access
to a computer in a LAN with the firewall activated.

For example, I want to get access to c drive in a computer of the LAN with
the firewall activated \\computername\c$

In advaced I appreciate your help.

Edmundo J. DAvila

Bruce Chambers

Re: -- firewall --
Edmundo J. Davila wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What exception should I create in windows xp or vista firewall to get
> access to a computer in a LAN with the firewall activated.
>
> For example, I want to get access to c drive in a computer of the LAN
> with the firewall activated \\computername\c$
>
> In advaced I appreciate your help.
>
> Edmundo J. DAvila

You'll have to go to the target computer and set its firewall to allow
an exception for file and print sharing. You'll also have to have
administrative privileges to the target computer. There's nothing you
can do from your workstation to affect the other computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Jesper

Re: -- firewall --
"To do this:
1. Open the Network and Sharing Center Control Panel on the computer that
will be the server
2. Click the "Customize" text next to where it says "(Public network)" at
the top. Select "Private Network" instead.
3. Accept the UAC prompt
4. Back in Network and Sharing Center click the down arrow by "File sharing"
5. Select "Turn on file sharing"
6. Create a share for the drive you wish to map to. The default C$ file
share will not work unless you make a change to the security settings on the
computer because it is only available to administrators and by default you
will not have that SID in your token when you authenticate remotely.

If this does not work for you, you may want to give Network Magic a look.
(http://www.networkmagic.com/). It is a product that helps you properly
configure your network.
---