UAC & WMP

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

haydn parker

UAC & WMP
Anyone any ideas about following...
Vista Home Premium - WMP 11.
Haven't used wmp for some time but I know I didn't have this problem
previously.
Logged in as Admin. Click start-programs-media player and 'nothing' happens.
In TaskManager I see that wmplayer.exe starts and immediately terminates.
Oh wonder, using 'run as admin' I get the continue prompt and wmp starts.
This doesn't help much as I don't have that option if I want to view a
video in the browser(which is how I discovered the problem).

So the work around is switch off UAC. But that can't be the answer. Why
don't I get a prompt when starting wmp normally?

--
hp
Alun Jones

Re: UAC & WMP
"haydn parker" <hp@ts.com> wrote in message
> Anyone any ideas about following...
> Vista Home Premium - WMP 11.
> Haven't used wmp for some time but I know I didn't have this problem
> previously.
> Logged in as Admin. Click start-programs-media player and 'nothing'
> happens.
> In TaskManager I see that wmplayer.exe starts and immediately terminates.
> Oh wonder, using 'run as admin' I get the continue prompt and wmp starts.
> This doesn't help much as I don't have that option if I want to view a
> video in the browser(which is how I discovered the problem).
>
> So the work around is switch off UAC. But that can't be the answer. Why
> don't I get a prompt when starting wmp normally?

At a guess, you've got a codec or plugin that requires admin rights in order
to run, but doesn't request them first.

Check the Event Viewer, to see if there's any useful error logging
occurring. Remove the most recently-installed codec or WMP plugin, and see
if it continues to have this behaviour.

Alun.
~~~~

haydn parker

Re: UAC & WMP
Good idea but..
First thing I did was look for error msgs but found nothing.
There are no plugins.
The only codecs newer than the OS installation are msrle32.dll and
msvidc32.dll. I must assume MS programs its own codecs correctly and vista
won't let me rename them anyway(or is there another way to 'remove' codecs?).

--
hp