Security causing mail problems

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

SStone

Security causing mail problems
Cannot reply, forward or send attachments. Have worked on this for 2 days
within the Windows Mail Forum. Something is causing a delay in getting mail
to the server. This appears to have something to do with security. Has anyone
seen a resolution?

Details -
Unable to send mail problem was sporadic. Had Norton 2007. Took it in to
tech support for service and they upgraded to 2008. At forum suggestion,
deleted Norton and used the symantec utility to remove the remaining pieces.
Replaced Norton with CA Suite. One person thought the Norton proxy may not be
able to be removed.
My ISP is RoadRunner high speed over cable. Have checked all setting w/RR.
Inbound, outbound servers work. RR does not cross over servers nor do they
block any ports. I am able to send anything through their webmail with no
problem.
Error:
inactivity. Subject 'Re: Email issues?', Account: 'pop-server.stny.rr.com',
Server: 'smtp-server.stny.rr.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

If no security fix is known, any others ideas where to look for solution?
Do I need to do a system restore from my disks?
Bob F.

Re: Security causing mail problems
Just a thought. Sometimes it's hard for your eye to pick up an error, and
here it's crucial that all the entries are perfect. If you have in fact
"checked everything", then delete the account, find the rr help setup page,
and remake a new rr account.

--
Regards, BobF.
"SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cannot reply, forward or send attachments. Have worked on this for 2 days
> within the Windows Mail Forum. Something is causing a delay in getting
> mail
> to the server. This appears to have something to do with security. Has
> anyone
> seen a resolution?
>
> Details -
> Unable to send mail problem was sporadic. Had Norton 2007. Took it in to
> tech support for service and they upgraded to 2008. At forum suggestion,
> deleted Norton and used the symantec utility to remove the remaining
> pieces.
> Replaced Norton with CA Suite. One person thought the Norton proxy may not
> be
> able to be removed.
> My ISP is RoadRunner high speed over cable. Have checked all setting w/RR.
> Inbound, outbound servers work. RR does not cross over servers nor do they
> block any ports. I am able to send anything through their webmail with no
> problem.
> Error:
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Subject 'Re: Email issues?', Account:
> 'pop-server.stny.rr.com',
> Server: 'smtp-server.stny.rr.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
> No,
> Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
>
> If no security fix is known, any others ideas where to look for solution?
> Do I need to do a system restore from my disks?

SStone

Re: Security causing mail problems
Bob, thanks for your suggestion. That was one of the first things I did on
Friday to be sure something wasn't messed in RR setup.
Then I deleted and set-up my account three times last night on my machine to
be absolutely certain. Next, I set myself up (using same rr account info) on
my husband's XP machine. The set-up works fine on his machine.

If that's not what you were suggesting, please let me know. I'm looking for
all possibilities. Thanks!

By the way, this problem happens with both Windows Mail and Live Mail. The
forum team suggested getting a new email program, and since it's happening
with 2 email programs, I suspect security conflict.

"Bob F." wrote:

> Just a thought. Sometimes it's hard for your eye to pick up an error, and
> here it's crucial that all the entries are perfect. If you have in fact
> "checked everything", then delete the account, find the rr help setup page,
> and remake a new rr account.
>
> --
> Regards, BobF.
> "SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Cannot reply, forward or send attachments. Have worked on this for 2 days
> > within the Windows Mail Forum. Something is causing a delay in getting
> > mail
> > to the server. This appears to have something to do with security. Has
> > anyone
> > seen a resolution?
> >
> > Details -
> > Unable to send mail problem was sporadic. Had Norton 2007. Took it in to
> > tech support for service and they upgraded to 2008. At forum suggestion,
> > deleted Norton and used the symantec utility to remove the remaining
> > pieces.
> > Replaced Norton with CA Suite. One person thought the Norton proxy may not
> > be
> > able to be removed.
> > My ISP is RoadRunner high speed over cable. Have checked all setting w/RR.
> > Inbound, outbound servers work. RR does not cross over servers nor do they
> > block any ports. I am able to send anything through their webmail with no
> > problem.
> > Error:
> > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> > for
> > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> > inactivity. Subject 'Re: Email issues?', Account:
> > 'pop-server.stny.rr.com',
> > Server: 'smtp-server.stny.rr.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
> > No,
> > Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
> >
> > If no security fix is known, any others ideas where to look for solution?
> > Do I need to do a system restore from my disks?

Dave

Re: Security causing mail problems
If you have a modem and a router, trying turning them off for a minute, then
back on.
To do it "by the book", you turn off your PC, router and modem, then turn
them back on in the reverse order.

I've had a problem with the RR DNS servers lately, but I don't think that's
your problem... you can access sites on the internet ok, can't you?

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news0359415-B3A1-4B1C-8FAA-B915F3B07820@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > Inbound, outbound servers work. RR does not cross over servers nor do
>> > they
>> > block any ports. I am able to send anything through their webmail with
>> > no
>> > problem.
>> > Error:
>> > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
>> > for
>> > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
>> > inactivity. Subject 'Re: Email issues?', Account:
>> > 'pop-server.stny.rr.com',
>> > Server: 'smtp-server.stny.rr.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
>> > Secure(SSL):
>> > No,
>> > Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
>> >
>> > If no security fix is known, any others ideas where to look for
>> > solution?
>> > Do I need to do a system restore from my disks?

Know what you mean about the RR servers. When this started happening
sporadically 3 weeks ago, that's what I suspected.

I was excited to try resetting the modem and router. Sadly, no change. Oh
well. But thank you for the idea!

"Dave" wrote:

> If you have a modem and a router, trying turning them off for a minute, then
> back on.
> To do it "by the book", you turn off your PC, router and modem, then turn
> them back on in the reverse order.
>
> I've had a problem with the RR DNS servers lately, but I don't think that's
> your problem... you can access sites on the internet ok, can't you?
>
> --
> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>

> "SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news0359415-B3A1-4B1C-8FAA-B915F3B07820@microsoft.com...
> > Bob, thanks for your suggestion. That was one of the first things I did on
> > Friday to be sure something wasn't messed in RR setup.
> > Then I deleted and set-up my account three times last night on my machine
> > be absolutely certain. Next, I set myself up (using same rr account info)
> > on
> > my husband's XP machine. The set-up works fine on his machine.
> >
> > If that's not what you were suggesting, please let me know. I'm looking
> > for
> > all possibilities. Thanks!
> >
> > By the way, this problem happens with both Windows Mail and Live Mail. The
> > forum team suggested getting a new email program, and since it's happening
> > with 2 email programs, I suspect security conflict.
> >
> > "Bob F." wrote:
> >
> >> Just a thought. Sometimes it's hard for your eye to pick up an error,
> >> and
> >> here it's crucial that all the entries are perfect. If you have in fact
> >> "checked everything", then delete the account, find the rr help setup
> >> page,
> >> and remake a new rr account.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards, BobF.

SStone

Re: Security causing mail problems

Forgot to answer the question. I'm having no problem on the internet or with
receiving mail. It's only this "time out" problem with replies, forward and
attachments. Some conflict is causing it to hang.

"Dave" wrote:

> If you have a modem and a router, trying turning them off for a minute, then
> back on.
> To do it "by the book", you turn off your PC, router and modem, then turn
> them back on in the reverse order.
>
> I've had a problem with the RR DNS servers lately, but I don't think that's
> your problem... you can access sites on the internet ok, can't you?
>
> --
> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>

> "SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news0359415-B3A1-4B1C-8FAA-B915F3B07820@microsoft.com...
> > Bob, thanks for your suggestion. That was one of the first things I did on
> > Friday to be sure something wasn't messed in RR setup.
> > Then I deleted and set-up my account three times last night on my machine
> > be absolutely certain. Next, I set myself up (using same rr account info)
> > on
> > my husband's XP machine. The set-up works fine on his machine.
> >
> > If that's not what you were suggesting, please let me know. I'm looking
> > for
> > all possibilities. Thanks!
> >
> > By the way, this problem happens with both Windows Mail and Live Mail. The
> > forum team suggested getting a new email program, and since it's happening
> > with 2 email programs, I suspect security conflict.
> >
> > "Bob F." wrote:
> >
> >> Just a thought. Sometimes it's hard for your eye to pick up an error,
> >> and
> >> here it's crucial that all the entries are perfect. If you have in fact
> >> "checked everything", then delete the account, find the rr help setup
> >> page,
> >> and remake a new rr account.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards, BobF.

FromTheRafters

Re: Security causing mail problems
Have you tried disabling e-mail virus scanning?
....or setting a longer timeout?

> Forgot to answer the question. I'm having no problem on the internet or
> with
> receiving mail. It's only this "time out" problem with replies, forward
> and
> attachments. Some conflict is causing it to hang.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> If you have a modem and a router, trying turning them off for a minute,
>> then
>> back on.
>> To do it "by the book", you turn off your PC, router and modem, then turn
>> them back on in the reverse order.
>>
>> I've had a problem with the RR DNS servers lately, but I don't think
>> that's
>> your problem... you can access sites on the internet ok, can't you?
>>
>> --
>> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>

>> "SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news0359415-B3A1-4B1C-8FAA-B915F3B07820@microsoft.com...
>> > Bob, thanks for your suggestion. That was one of the first things I did
>> > on
>> > Friday to be sure something wasn't messed in RR setup.
>> > Then I deleted and set-up my account three times last night on my
>> > machine
>> > be absolutely certain. Next, I set myself up (using same rr account
>> > info)
>> > on
>> > my husband's XP machine. The set-up works fine on his machine.
>> >
>> > If that's not what you were suggesting, please let me know. I'm looking
>> > for
>> > all possibilities. Thanks!
>> >
>> > By the way, this problem happens with both Windows Mail and Live Mail.
>> > The
>> > forum team suggested getting a new email program, and since it's
>> > happening
>> > with 2 email programs, I suspect security conflict.

SStone

Re: Security causing mail problems
Yes, that's the weird thing. Most people find this problem gets fixed when
they disable antivirus email scanning. Someone wondered if a piece of Norton
was stuck... I believed they said that some email program proxies stay in the
machine even after you delete the software and run the clean-up utility.

I also made sure that Windows Mail is an allowed program in the firewall.

"FromTheRafters" wrote:

> Have you tried disabling e-mail virus scanning?
> ....or setting a longer timeout?
>
> "SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Forgot to answer the question. I'm having no problem on the internet or
> > with
> > receiving mail. It's only this "time out" problem with replies, forward
> > and
> > attachments. Some conflict is causing it to hang.
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> If you have a modem and a router, trying turning them off for a minute,
> >> then
> >> back on.
> >> To do it "by the book", you turn off your PC, router and modem, then turn
> >> them back on in the reverse order.
> >>
> >> I've had a problem with the RR DNS servers lately, but I don't think
> >> that's
> >> your problem... you can access sites on the internet ok, can't you?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
> >> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> >>

> >> "SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news0359415-B3A1-4B1C-8FAA-B915F3B07820@microsoft.com...

SStone

Re: Security causing mail problems
Increased time out to 2.5 minutes. Still same error.

"FromTheRafters" wrote:

> Have you tried disabling e-mail virus scanning?
> ....or setting a longer timeout?
>
> "SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Forgot to answer the question. I'm having no problem on the internet or
> > with
> > receiving mail. It's only this "time out" problem with replies, forward
> > and
> > attachments. Some conflict is causing it to hang.
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> If you have a modem and a router, trying turning them off for a minute,
> >> then
> >> back on.
> >> To do it "by the book", you turn off your PC, router and modem, then turn
> >> them back on in the reverse order.
> >>
> >> I've had a problem with the RR DNS servers lately, but I don't think
> >> that's
> >> your problem... you can access sites on the internet ok, can't you?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
> >> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> >>

> >> "SStone" <SStone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news0359415-B3A1-4B1C-8FAA-B915F3B07820@microsoft.com...

SStone

RE: Security causing mail problems
It turned out that Webroot Spysweeper has a realtime email shield to protect
fron "attachments" that I found by accident. When it was unchecked, email
worked again.