Free AntiVirus

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

SE

Free AntiVirus
I need a free antivirus program that I can leave disabled and one that I
don't have to disable everytime I start up the ol laptop. I'm using Vista and
I have tried AVG, AntiVir, and Avast!, none of which will let me permanently
disable on startup.

I need an antivirus program (who doesn't?), but I do not need one running
all the time.

Any suggestions?
f/fgeorge

Re: Free AntiVirus
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:58:03 -0700, SE <SE@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I need a free antivirus program that I can leave disabled and one that I
>don't have to disable everytime I start up the ol laptop. I'm using Vista and
>I have tried AVG, AntiVir, and Avast!, none of which will let me permanently
>disable on startup.
>
>I need an antivirus program (who doesn't?), but I do not need one running
>all the time.
>
>Any suggestions?

Yes, forget your current thinking and find one, like AVG and Avast,
that uses as little of the cpu and memory as possible. To think one
does not need an anti-virus is the person that will forget to turn it
on when they do need it. Test for the smallest footprint, Kaspersky
may be another to look at, and stick with it.
Bob

Re: Free AntiVirus

"SE" <SE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need a free antivirus program that I can leave disabled and one that I
> don't have to disable everytime I start up the ol laptop. I'm using Vista
> and
> I have tried AVG, AntiVir, and Avast!, none of which will let me
> permanently
> disable on startup.
>
> I need an antivirus program (who doesn't?), but I do not need one running
> all the time.

Do you also think one should practice safe sex sometimes?

Mick Murphy

RE: Free AntiVirus
Your problem is that you don/t know how to use Programs!
Let Avast start, then right-click on desktop icon>Stop on-access Protection.
You are a fool to do it, but that's your problem!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"SE" wrote:

> I need a free antivirus program that I can leave disabled and one that I
> don't have to disable everytime I start up the ol laptop. I'm using Vista and
> I have tried AVG, AntiVir, and Avast!, none of which will let me permanently
> disable on startup.
>
> I need an antivirus program (who doesn't?), but I do not need one running
> all the time.
>
> Any suggestions?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Free AntiVirus
Regardless of which anti virus you go for it needs to run 'all of the time',
not just when you feel like running it. As they run in the background anyway
they are hardly noticeable.
So stick with either AVG or Avast!

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"SE" <SE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need a free antivirus program that I can leave disabled and one that I
> don't have to disable everytime I start up the ol laptop. I'm using Vista
> and
> I have tried AVG, AntiVir, and Avast!, none of which will let me
> permanently
> disable on startup.
>
> I need an antivirus program (who doesn't?), but I do not need one running
> all the time.
>
> Any suggestions?

robinb

Re: Free AntiVirus
ditto to all 4 replys
robin
"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Regardless of which anti virus you go for it needs to run 'all of the
> time', not just when you feel like running it. As they run in the
> background anyway they are hardly noticeable.
> So stick with either AVG or Avast!

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "SE" <SE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I need a free antivirus program that I can leave disabled and one that I
>> don't have to disable everytime I start up the ol laptop. I'm using Vista
>> and
>> I have tried AVG, AntiVir, and Avast!, none of which will let me
>> permanently
>> disable on startup.
>>
>> I need an antivirus program (who doesn't?), but I do not need one running
>> all the time.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Kayman

Re: Free AntiVirus
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:58:03 -0700, SE wrote:

> I need a free antivirus program that I can leave disabled and one that I
> don't have to disable everytime I start up the ol laptop. I'm using Vista and
> I have tried AVG, AntiVir, and Avast!, none of which will let me permanently
> disable on startup.
>
> I need an antivirus program (who doesn't?), but I do not need one running
> all the time.
>
> Any suggestions?

Well, I wouldn't suggest running without an real-time AV apps. But it's up
to you, of course.
Here are a couple of on-demand apps:
BitDefender10 Free Edition
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html

David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV.EXE:
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/
Chris Game

Re: Free AntiVirus
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:58:03 -0700, SE wrote:

> I have tried AVG, AntiVir, and Avast!, none of which will let me
> permanently disable on startup.

You need to disable the part of the program that continuously scans
for trouble, leaving the ability to scan 'on demand' for new files
or for the occasional system check. Recent AVG versions won't let
you do this from the desktop, as if you could do it so could some
malware, so you may need to uninstall and re-install in 'custom'
mode, leaving out those parts of the program you don't want.

If you practice 'safe surfing' and have a NAT router to avoid rogue
connections, on demand virus checking is all you need (plus some
malware process detector/intrusion detector). I use Avira with only
the on-demand scanner installed. Reports are favourable on its
effectiveness.

--
Chris Game

"An exclamation mark is like laughing at your own joke."
-- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Nigel Molesworth

Re: Free AntiVirus
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:07:14 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:

>Do you also think one should practice safe sex sometimes?

I saw a great T-shirt last week:

Practice Safe Sex
Go F*** Yourself

Nigel Molesworth

Re: Free AntiVirus
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:47:10 +0000, Chris Game <chrisgame@example.net>
wrote:

>If you practice 'safe surfing' and have a NAT router to avoid rogue
>connections, on demand virus checking is all you need

I agree. I've been using that method for 15 years, never got a virus.

If you know what you are doing, it's OK. But most people are muppets.