Program needs Run as Administrator

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Nigel Molesworth

Program needs Run as Administrator
I've got a program that will only work properly if I use "Run as
Administrator", despite being logged in as an administrator.

Is there a way I can fix this, so it runs normally?

PS, I know I shouldn't be running as administrator, but this is a PC that is
rarely connected to the Internet, and used for two or three specific tasks.

.Joe

Re: Program needs Run as Administrator

Nigel Molesworth;655502 Wrote:
> I've got a program that will only work properly if I use "Run as
> Administrator", despite being logged in as an administrator.
>
> Is there a way I can fix this, so it runs normally?
>
> PS, I know I shouldn't be running as administrator, but this is a PC
> that is
> rarely connected to the Internet, and used for two or three specific
> tasks.

Nigel,

You can tell the program to always run as an administrator by doing
this:

1. Right click on the program shortcut
2. Select properties
3. Under the compatibility tab, click run this program as administrator
4. Click apply & ok

That should take care of it.

I hope this helps.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_*::Click_here_for_the_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4050 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/42901\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
Nigel Molesworth

Re: Program needs Run as Administrator
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:36:14 -0500, .Joe <Joe.36mf13@no-mx.forums.net>
wrote:

>You can tell the program to always run as an administrator

Excellent, that's a good start.

Only problem now is that UAC asks if it is OK to run it. I would eventually
like this program to run on start up, and I think this may be a problem.

Bob

Re: Program needs Run as Administrator
How to disable the User Account Control Prompt for certain application
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-news/1...lications.html
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 08:16:45 -0400, "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote:

>How to disable the User Account Control Prompt for certain application
>http://www.vistax64.com/vista-news/1...lications.html

Thanks Bob, but the KB link is dead. I'm also not sure I want to install any
more programs on this PC, it is very task specific.

Bob

Re: Program needs Run as Administrator
Your welcome. You might want to do this instead.

To disable UAC prompts NOT UAC:

Run Regedit and navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]

Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin from "2" to "0".

-------

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 08:16:45 -0400, "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>>How to disable the User Account Control Prompt for certain application
>>http://www.vistax64.com/vista-news/1...lications.html

> Thanks Bob, but the KB link is dead. I'm also not sure I want to install
> any
> more programs on this PC, it is very task specific.

Ray

Re: Program needs Run as Administrator
..Joe <Joe.36mf13@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> You can tell the program to always run as an administrator by
> doing this:
>
> 1. Right click on the program shortcut
> 2. Select properties
> 3. Under the compatibility tab, click run this program as
> administrator
> 4. Click apply & ok

Would it make a difference if you did this to the program executable
rather than the shortcut? That way the program would always run as
admin, whether started from the shortcut or by double-clicking a file.
Or will Vista make both starting methods run it the same way?

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:10:11 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:

>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]
>
>Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin from "2" to "0".

Thanks Bob, you are a star!

Bob

Re: Program needs Run as Administrator
You're welcome. Happy to help. Thanks for the feedback.
-------

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:10:11 -0400, "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]
>>
>>Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin from "2" to "0".

> Thanks Bob, you are a star!

SG

Re: Program needs Run as Administrator
You are running with administrator rights, but if you have to right click
and select Run as Administrator then you are not logged on as administrator.
When you first boot do you have two users listed to logon to?

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/